Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
keep livin man, L I V I N
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What twins would you all pick if you had to do a custom twin setup. High HP or lower HP, doesnt matter.

Want to know what you all would do if you had to have twins. I dont want to hear about single is better and less laggier. I know all this and I know the pros and cons of both.

So please keep this simple and state your opinions on what twins you would prefer. Size of turbos doesnt matter, clearence issues, etc. Like t3/t4, T04s, GT35s etc.

Thanks!

C

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
I was going to tell you to search, but now I realize that you want to do them in parallel, yes?

I'd choose something small and go for ceramic if possible -- try to really play up the ability of twins to spool faster at the same power level due to theoretically less inertial mass.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
I used twin super 60's full boost @4200 more power than stock twins, but if I were to do it again probably would go smaller GT series for the response and power.

Lawrence

·
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stock motor Hua, 3.0L

Im not doing HKS turbos either, better turbos out there IMO. Been looking at the new Garret GTs and ITS turbos.

C

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
Ken's turbos are some big azz twins. unless you are planning on spraying a big shot or trying to break a dyno i would not recommend those. how bout some good ole 2835's or 3037's. the ultimate twin setup would be two turbos of different size, one small and one large, this would be rather difficult to do though, i think someone on the board is working on it but is thinking it is going to be way more than anyone's worth. you say that hp levels dont matter which makes me wonder why you are looking only at twins and not just a medium sized single? not sure but i think i have heard bad things about the new ITS turbos, might wana check into that.

·
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I already have a custom twin turbo header for my car. Made in mind for big twins so fitment is not an issue. I havent made up my mind on bigger or smaller size twins. HKS is out of the question.

·
SUPRAS FOR LIFE
4,188 Posts
3240s like ken's car is nice but if i had to with a twin setup....i would say 3040s...

·
Registered
223 Posts
He keeps saying HKS turbos are out of the question yet everyone keeps reccomending them :wtflol: I dont really understand the whole parallel idea but couldnt you just mount the turbos like the hks manifold then just run the outlet of the small turbo to the inlet of the big one? Would the turbo not handle air being pushed in there?

·
Registered
770 Posts
I'm looking at the garret equivalent of HKS 3040 or 3037S with 4" inlet. It really depends on whether you want a big power car, or a car that hits boost early.

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
turbosupe said:
He keeps saying HKS turbos are out of the question yet everyone keeps reccomending them :wtflol: I dont really understand the whole parallel idea but couldnt you just mount the turbos like the hks manifold then just run the outlet of the small turbo to the inlet of the big one? Would the turbo not handle air being pushed in there?
its not that easy

·
Registered
827 Posts
i would do dual GT60's. garrettt makes badass turbo's and i bet you would put down some descent numbers.

·
Sooooooo JDM
1,221 Posts
turbosupe said:
HKS 3037 is a Garrett GT30 (76mm) with a T25 flange on the hotside. Parallel means they both feed the same I/C pipe simultaneously.

Ryan

·
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the input guys. Was looking into some 60-1s possibly from ITS. ITS really been the only ones who are willing to help or talk with me. Others willing to help but never call back. Sooo.... Asking inputs from you all, thanks! Please keep it up.

C

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
turbosupe said:
First, you have it backwards.....large turbo feeds the small turbo. Second, you wouldn't want the turbines in parallel and the compressors in series. This would not work out like you think it would. There is a huge thread about a guy running a complex system (with valves and two different sized turbos). I would suggest reading it (all of it...it's long, but he ran into many of the problems that are not very intuitive).

As for this thread. Many have probably read some of my rants about twin vs. single. I know avoiding that conversation was an early request....so....twin GT3071R's. You really don't want a compressor any bigger than that. Ken's are 82mm which are a little too big for the turbine.

Daniel

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
Josh M said:
Please explain yourself..........running a parallel setup how is that optimal?
i think you understood what i was saying, a small turbo for spool purposes and a large turbo for top-end power. like i said, this would involve a very comlicated assortment of parts to make this work and was/is being tried with no success so far.

·
Super Moderator
10,498 Posts
turbowash said:
I already have a custom twin turbo header for my car. Made in mind for big twins so fitment is not an issue. I havent made up my mind on bigger or smaller size twins. HKS is out of the question.
I hope you know that Garrett makes HKS turbos to HKS' specifications. The primary reason why GT3240s are possible on my car is the HKS 3.4L stroker kit, plus all the detail stuff....head work, optimized piping, ceramic coating, etc. I'd recommend something smaller for a 3L motor (or higher static compression).

Ken.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts