Supra Forums banner

Cut or Roll fenders?

3K views 30 replies 24 participants last post by  KenHenderson 
#1 ·
Going to have some 18x11.5 ccw 505a's coming soon with 295/35/18's for the rear and am trying to decide whether i should pay twice as much to get the fenders rolled or just get them cut? What are the disadvantages to getting them cut? Can anyone post pics?

#2 ·
I'd cut. Rolling is a crap shoot as far as not cracking the paint, or wrinkling the fender.

#5 ·
Just don't cut through the spot welds, and make sure you paint or otherwise finish the bare metal edge to prevent corrosion.

#6 ·
i was about to ask the same question, but most of the riders i know roll there fenders and it look perrrty clean, no paint cracking or wrinkling of the fenders---i was about to shave of my fenders and most of the supra owners i know told me to roll it, better than shaving it off. I didn't ask them why but all is well with them. no problems whatsoever with there roll fenders (the cost of roll fenders is between 20-30 bucks for both side) if you take it to a shop make sure it has good reps.

#7 ·
Cut the fenders. And you will have no issues if you cut past the weld spots. Just make it nice and smooth and then apply some sealant after the fact and good to go. Rolling is a 50/50 shot and will always stretch the paint whether visable or not....and worst case mess up the fender. Maybe Alex D can chime in here and maybe post a pic of what could happen.

#8 · (Edited)
My vote is for rolling. Seen lots of sloppy cuts and guys who then have rust. True there can be issues with rolling if not done right but there can be just as many issues with cutting and we are talking about do-it-your-self right? How many do it yourself'rs get anything right the first time they try it. If your talking doing something like this the first time yourself I see no reason to think there cant be just as many ugly results with cutting as with rolling. Personally I would never cut fenders. To each his own though thats the beauty of it.
They can be rolled up completely flat and tight if done right and why would anyone care about fixing tiny cracks in paint under there vs. cutting that same area completely off. Touching up a few cracks underneath is nothing to worry about. Getting the bare metal properly/promptly coated after cutting can be.

#16 ·
The previous owner of my Supra had the rear fenders rolled at some point in time. My paint is cracked and flaked on the fender lip, but you can't really see it unless you look for it. Who gets that low anyway, when your car is lowered? Still, it bugs me to know it's there. I'm to much of a perfectionist, and in some spots there is light rust forming where the paint chipped off. I'm hoping to have that taken care of sometime. I don't drive in the rain or snow, so I'm not really worried about it, but it's still on the to do list. I'd prefer a good shop to look over the roll job and tell me what they think. Maybe they can massage it a little if need be and then paint that area up.

Did I read right that it is possible to roll the fender lip right up tight to the inside of the fender?

#17 · (Edited)
I have the exact same tire and wheel combo as you. I had a good friend of mine cut the fenders. He did an excellent job, and then I put on some primer and then finished it off with Rustoleum. IMO, cutting the fenders is definitely the way to go, it will not weaken the strength of the body at all. I know several people who have had their fenders rolled and they wish they had had them cut. Just make sure you take your time, and cover any bare metal with proper protectants. Here are a couple pictures of what it looks like:

#18 ·
Roll em and maintain the strength of the fender and reduce your risk of developing rust under there.

#20 ·
agreed, I prefer rolling but if done correctly and carefully both ways can produce satisfactory results. There's no real run away better way though it all comes down to preference. Done right they are both good, done carelessly and both ways will look ugly. To me though a chip or two in paint that can't be seen is preferred over a long, raw ( rough possibly depending on who does it ) edge that needs protected from the constant exposure to the elements.

One thing I was thinking was we managed rental units and whenever New metal railings went up on the units no matter how much paint we put over them the cut joints always rust in time to the rain exposure. Not driving in rain or garage keeping helps of course. Much greater surface area to worry about with cutting I thought.

#19 ·
Im about to cut min. So, I vote cut. :)

#22 ·
I started to roll mine, realized the paint was going to possibly crack so I opted to cut them. They look great now, and I feel more confident about not rusting than cracked paint under there. Any exposed metel is going to rust over time period! Just whatever you do make sure you go over the bare metel with something to stop rust.

#23 ·
Cut, hands down!! You can cut them completely off past the welds... I've never seen any rust if you finish them properly and never weaken the fender...PLus it looks much cleaner, as if it came that way from the factory...... and that, in it self is worth it :cool:

ERizzle26 - Is a Great example of a good cut

#24 ·
Cutting is what I prefer.
Here is a shot of my old car.
Cut, sand the edges down abit then applied rubberized under coating to it.
Never had any issues with rust and worked out alot better than rolling. My brother tried to roll his fenders on his FD3S and it cracked the paint...no good.

#28 ·
I paid over $200 to have my fenders rolled and they messed up the driver side. Cracked the paint underneith bad. You have to be on the ground to see it though. I think im just going to have them cut now (should have done this in the first place). Anyone have any pics of their fenders CUT?

Thanks

#29 ·
On the first page of this thread is a pretty good example of cut fenders.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.