Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a computer modder (yes a geek if you will) and will be ordering new dash pieces to do a project. Was hoping to get 60mm holes in various places for gauages to give a clean more stock look. I know many people use a dremel (which I have) but I also used hole saws to cut PERFECT circles (usually 80 or 92 mm) in aluminum and steel. I was wondering if anyone has tried these for dash pieces or anything for that matter (single or double DIN plate). You can get a 60mm or 52mm hole saw at your local hardware store for around 3 - 5 bucks. Let me know your thoughts.

MC

·
Registered
722 Posts
Hi,

You know for cutting dashes, I would have to say that you should not use a holesaw.....or at least the size you need. If you are gonna use a hole saw, use one that is about 1/4 in in diameter smaller than the hole you wanna end up with. The reason I say this is that it is irreversible if you remove too much material.

I cut a few holes in my dash for gauges and a profec B (see sig for pics).....what I did was dremel out a hexagon and then shape it with a dremel sanding drum into a circle.....all my gauges are pressure fit, and fit perfectly!

Use a smaller holesaw or a dremel cutoff wheel, then finish with a dremel sanding drum. One of those rounded metal files with a wodden handle will also come in handy....

See below for my results....bigger pics are on my website.

Hope this helps,

Asheesh

·
King Ding-a-ling!
3,195 Posts
A good set of holesaws like Greenlee ect will work well. Do NOT use a cheap holesaw kit! Make sure the blades have not been dulled by cutting steel and are perfectly round. Cutting a smaller hole is desireable then finisheng with a dremel and fine sanding drum.
Brandon

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only use high quality tools, but Im wondering if it willb e too hot and start to show melting?

·
Registered
722 Posts
The plastic will in all likelihood melt, at least it did when I used my dremel cut off wheel, but that was at like 20K rpm.....

But even if it does melt, you can just snap off the melted part and it leaves a nice edge. As long as you start with a smaller hole, it will not be an issue.....

Asheesh

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
guages or boost controller look much better flushed. I use a high speed die grinder to get it close, then the rest with a half-round file.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts