Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1993 JDM Supra TT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone...
I've been searching around and can't seem to find the answer... so posting for input.

I recently acquired a 93 supra, right hand drive. Original n/a auto car, been swapped to twin turbo, 6 speed trans. Still has small diff.

I wish to replace the rear cv axles, but having trouble finding ones that will actually work.
I went to my local auto parts store, Autozone, and had them look them up. We used my vin info to make the best decision. As of now, we have ordered every cv assembly that they had listed and none have worked out..
Why, you ask..?
A couple seem to have been the correct length, but all have the same problem. The flange part behind the splines, has been too small. Just fits all the way in without having to tighten axle nut the draw it in all the way.
My old ones measure 63.0mm, new ones all measure 62.90 to 62.95mm. See picture for what area I'm talking about.
New ones were loose on the inside of the hub. They don't press in...
When I tried to tighten them down, even with just a few rattles of the impact, the axle nearly locked up... very hard to turn the brake rotor...

Advice will be greatly appreciated !

Attachments

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Just curious - why do you need to replace them? Switching to the 6 spd diff? FYI, you can get brand spankin' new ones from Toyota for around $379.56 each, online price. Same price for auto or manual. That's probably your best option.

You can either get the best online price from a Toyota dealer and have them shipped, or order online from your local Toyota dealer and select to pick them up in the store. That should be the fastest, but you will pay tax instead of shipping. Whatever you do, don't just walk into the dealer w/o ordering them online first, will pay an extra 30-40%

Al

·
Registered
1993 JDM Supra TT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just curious - why do you need to replace them? Switching to the 6 spd diff? FYI, you can get brand spankin' new ones from Toyota for around $379.56 each, online price. Same price for auto or manual. That's probably your best option.

You can either get the best online price from a Toyota dealer and have them shipped, or order online from your local Toyota dealer and select to pick them up in the store. That should be the fastest, but you will pay tax instead of shipping. Whatever you do, don't just walk into the dealer w/o ordering them online first, will pay an extra 30-40%

Al
My main question is are they the same?
RHD to LHD..?

I believe they are original and going bad. I'd rather replace and start fresh.

·
Registered
1993 JDM Supra TT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anybody know where to find part #'s for the RHD cv axles?
Just called the dealer, no luck...

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Yes. Small diff.
I called my local dealer. He said he can't order parts from Japan.
He can't, but you can! Getting back to the original subject - why do you think your axles are bad? Clicking sound?

Not sure if you clicked on that link, but the full axles for both 6 spd and auto appear as "available" on multiple Toyota dealer sites. And if it's on the interwebs it has to be true, lol! Seriously, it wouldn't be the first time that a parts store guy couldn't get parts - sometimes they don't know what they're doing, and sometimes they're lazy.

What I need is some 12mm axle bolts. Not even finding a listing for those. OP, not sure if you have checked them, but it is typical to tear up at least a couple bolts when pulling the axles. The threads get ground down when backing out the bolts.

Al

1 - 11 of 11 Posts