Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
:)
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you guys daily drive your N/A MKIII's? Also, how more reliable are they over Turbo models? Are they better or about the same? Is there any problematic parts that should be replaced on a used N/A MKIII as a just in case? Let's say on a car with 80,000-100,000 miles.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I bought my 89 from the original owner a couple years ago. It had 226k miles and was really clean, garaged all the time. He said it was the best car he ever owned. He drove about 70 miles a day for work, and said it never had any major problems. I have the stack of paperwork on it, but never actually looked at it to see what work was done. I'd have to say it's a good example of a reliable n/a. I would think n/a's would be more reliable anyways, just for the fact that there is less that can go wrong.

·
Professional White Man
2,674 Posts
dd my na here. Only things you need to worry about are old coolant hoses that need to be replaced, and be sure you always have oil in it. Other than that, the cars are reliable, get good mpg, and dont look too shabby either.

M

·
0 Posts
My NA has a 250,000 but the tranny finally went out lol. Motor still runs great.

·
Registered
583 Posts
i dd my n/a as well. i bought it from a junkyard and got it into running state and i have to say im impressed.

·
SupraStore.com
2,134 Posts
Once I get everything situated, I know a local guy with a 5spd 95 that would make an excellent daily driver...which would be funny...having an MkIII for weekend warrior and MkIV as a daily driver :lol:

·
SupraStore.com
2,134 Posts
Nope, the lowly N/A has the W58 5spd from the N/A MkIII, though it is a bit stronger.

I made my icon based off of sprite rips from metroid :bigthumb:

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have a 1990 auto n/a with 216K on it. Problems that I've had are A/C leaks with different components many times, 2nd time installation of a head gasket. This time I had A Greddy MHG intalled with ARP bolts and other minor problems with hoses, starter ect. Even with all these issues I still like the car alot. I don't know how it compares to a turbo reliability wise. I have owned it since new and have driven it hard all the time.

·
Piyaud-Baka
201 Posts
I got a 91 with 160k, Unknown MHG, the guy didnt start the car for a year, did some much needed maintenace, and its running great, responds accordingly, now i just need to replace some hoses and the exhuast, keeps rattling at Idle.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
yeah i had mine as a DD for a year before i took it down for the turbo install. was dead reliable. started and ran well every time, got good mileage.

·
Registered
171 Posts
i have an 86.5 as a daily driver. put about 10k on it a year till i got a jeep to get me to school and back.. the supra defiantly got better gas milage and was more reliable. but the jeep rocks for lake effect winters :) never have had any serious problems with the sup since i got it. its got 200k on it now.

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,523 Posts
Mine's DD, 14k+ miles in under 8 mos. It's proven to be it's own PITA for me however. The car is quite old, but eh I guess it's something I can expect for it's age. I don't think I'd hop in it and go across the state though.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts