Supra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
DONT HASSLE THE HOFF
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in browsing mode for a new daily driver and I wanted some feedback hopefully from owners or former owners of the couple of cars on my list. Both of my vehicles are paid off and it's time to retire the F150 to *dirty work only* duty.

So, at the moment I've got 3 cars in mind. If anyone has any other suggestions feel free to add in. It needs to be a 4 door, get ok gas mileage, some what sporty and COMFY.

1. 00'-02' Lexus GS400
2. 02'-03' BMW 740i
3. 02'-03' Mercedes C32 AMG

I know the Lexus is reliable and that is a big factor, never had much experience with the other 2 so that's what I'm hoping to get answered here. I've gone to the cars' pertaining forums and asked but of course they are biased. Asking here is neutral and I know there has to be people here with experience with these cars.

Thanks for any help and feedback-

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Euphoric said:
1. 00'-02' Lexus GS400
2. 02'-03' BMW 740i
3. 02'-03' Mercedes C32 AMG

Thanks for any help and feedback-
I vote for 02~03 Mercedes C32 AMG.

Then

02-03 Lexus GS400

I had 98 GS400, 300hp V8. Great car, it felt fast when I had it back then, looks big from outside, but when you drive it, it felt like small car in a good way. The body styling still looks great today, I like it better than the current model.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I daily drive a '93 SC 400 and loving it....that is two door though. My recommendation for 4 door, sporty, comfy and great gas mileage would without a doubt be a Lexus GS 400.

always remember lexus & toyota = reliablity gods.

·
Super Moderator
10,804 Posts
nsx4ever said:
I vote for 02~03 Mercedes C32 AMG.

Then

02-03 Lexus GS400

I had 98 GS400, 300hp V8. Great car, it felt fast when I had it back then, looks big from outside, but when you drive it, it felt like small car in a good way. The body styling still looks great today, I like it better than the current model.

Sean,

As a 4-year C32 owner, I say get the Lex. The C32 has a nice motor, good brakes and decent exterior looks, but it has a cheap interior not befitting a $55K car (when new). The center console is apparently made of some cheap plastic foam-like material that begins to quickly loses its low sheen look, turning into a flat sanded rubberized foam look. Like a l lot of Mercs, it has tranny problems (mine had to be replaced at 4100 miles because it started shifting like a TH400 with too much line pressure and a 4000+ stall). The paint chips easily and, get this, the car comes with NO spare, not even a space saver, even though the C320 does. All this has happened with me being the sole driver, because my wife doesn't like it. Trust me when I say the interior of my '06 4-Runner Limited V8 is of higher quality than this car.

With its power, it is an excellent point and squirt car for SoCali freeway driving conditions and, because Mercedes has diluted the AMG brand by selling hundreds of thousands of sport equipped C-Classes that look exactly like the AMG from the outside, you can fly under the radar pretty efficiently. It needs 91-octane or better to perform its best and gets okay mileage if your right foot has some discipline. With a 16.5 gallon tank, it doesn't have the range its compact size and good interior volume would imply. Only so-so suspension travel (mine is lowered so might not be everyone's cup of tea), but front seats are good for long distance travel and I'm certain I've compromised my rear seat comfort with my lowered suspension.

The car eats rear tires. I got 8800 miles on my first set of rears, 10,000 miles on my second (both sets Pirellis), 16,000 on my first set of Michelin PS2s and, so far 12000 miles on my second set of PS2s. That's eight rear tires in 49,000 miles for those counting. For those wondering, the suspension settings and alignment is spot-on according to my dealer and I am anal about such things and air pressures. I believe it is directly related to DC's autobahn-biased toe settings that will enable a driver traveling at 120+ mph to sneeze and not find himself flying off the road into the weeds. A couple of BMW 540-owning friends of mine have reported the same type of accelerated rear tire wear on their cars as well. If the car is not on warranty (with a good deal of it still remaining), run away as fast as you can.

Cliffs: Get the Lex. Hope this helps.

Ken.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I used to own a GS400... very comfortable and problem free. Plenty of power but the suspension was a little mushy for me. Gas mileage in the low 20's depending on how you drive it. 2000 was the last year for the GS400, 2001 and up is the GS430 which is supposed to have a little more torque (haven't driven one). For a daily driver I think the Lexus makes the most sense.

·
Banned
297 Posts
Lexus GS400/430

This is my old 1998 GS400

I purchased my GS based on reliability (built in first class manufacturing facility shared with the LS and SC).

Good luck on your decision :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I bought a lexus when I was ready to not drive the supra every day. The first one was a 5 spd. IS. The plan was to give it some extra power and have 4 doors for the family. When TRD crapped out on building the S/C kit, I knew the extra power wasn't worth voiding the warranty on my DD. After living with the car for a couple of years it was just too small...and didn't have much grunt. I traded the IS for a certified pre-pwned '02 gs430. It has been a GREAT car. The car was in perfect condition and is much more comfortable and powerful than the IS. I got a good deal on a set of '06 wheels and the car looks updated. Your could probably find one a little cheaper that is not certified but I have a regular lexus warranty until 100K.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts