Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok - The normal Question:

Looking for a DD to replace my Jeep Grand Cherokee (1994)

AWD
Seating for four
Decent Gas Mileage (Minimum of 17/24)
Cargo Room
Under $15k (the farther under the better!)

Here is my list so far
Jaguar X-Type Auto/Manual AWD 2.5 19/27
Jaguar X-Type Auto/Manual AWD 3 18/27
BMW 740IL Auto RWD 4.4L (V8) 17/23
Audi S4 (Avant) Auto/Manual AWD 2.7L 17/24
Dodge Magnum Auto/Manual AWD SXT(3.5) 17/24
Dodge Magnum Auto/Manual AWD RT(5.7) 17/24
2004+ WRX Manual AWD 2 19.5/26.5
Saab 92-X Manual AWD 2 19.5/26.5
Lexus IS-300 Manual RWD 3.0L 18/25

·
Who's the Master?!
4,073 Posts
:lol: You know that some of the cars on your list don't meet your requirements right. I think you'd be hard pressed to find any of those cars under $15k.

·
Champagne Papi
5,697 Posts
AWD
Seating for four
Cargo Room

Here is my list so far

better stick to cars like the accord and camries

·
...spooling
477 Posts
Hey PakMan: Camry's ***

·
Banned
1,890 Posts
I would really rethink your list. To pick up those cars for under $15k, you would have to pick up some older/high mileage vehicles.

Some of those cars you listed are fairly expensive to repair and maintain. Not to mention some of them are not exactly to the same level of reliability as a Japanese car.

·
Damn Spaniards
2,328 Posts
15K? For one of those cars? You better take everything off the list but the Subaru and maybe the 9-2X.

·
Wangan Nasty
1,807 Posts
Out of your list, The IS300 5 spd would be hard to find (reliable but can have transmission issues on the older 2002 models ) However, an E-Shift IS300 if searched can fit into your budget.

WRX is out of your price range, but a 2.5RS Sedan from 2002+ would be in your price range, so would an older Subaru Legacy.

Other good cars i would consider for a Daily would be a Used Mazda 3 Hatchback, or an older LS400 (if you wanted a bigger/more luxurious? Car)

Im not a huge fan of honda civic, but camry will more than do also.

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,780 Posts
I would love to tell you how bad those Jaguars and that Bimmer would be on your budget but I have the feeling insurance will chase you away soon enough. Older 7ers are reliable to a point, but they are nowhere near as nice as the newer models.

I recommend you read up here and see what I mean; http://e38.org/

So now;

The most common problem will be the radiators and the catalytic converters going bad. BMW will charge around $2500 to fix all of it, you can do it on your own or privately for $1000-1500 installed.

Make sure all the pixels in the cars headunit display, navigation and all readouts. These parts are prone to going bad. This is especially important on some 98's 99's and all last year models thereafter because they either had regular navigation, widescreen nav, or phone packages as standard or dealer standard options. Some dealers will fix this out of goodwill, some specific cars had specific warranties that cover this, and most will suffer from it. Otherwise expect to pay about $300-500 each for two modules that will need to be replaced if they were not already.

Please dear god make sure every single electrical function on the car is tested beforehand. My dad used to have the 750il and all the windows and the sunroof decided they wanted to voodoo dance on me during a horrible rainstorm. The dealer said they could not replicate the problem but after some checking with some forums I found the window regulators like to go bad. Not an expensive fix but these will go bad, so get them checked. Small $10 and $20 electrical components are scattered everywhere, if they fail it will drive you crazy chasing the problems.

Other than that 98+ models are pretty solid and probably still on extended or qualify for a CPO extension. Our car was a v12 and it cost only about $1500 in maintenance a year, by contrast the LS400 was a little more than half that cost. Lexus does not have as comprehensive a service contract as BMW offers, in terms of parts warranties and repairs coverage the two are about even.

Like I said here; http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=425939

Your transmission could go bad, and it will be 100% an owner of the car's fault. Make sure the car was cared for correctly. Otherwise this is a $4500 repair, it is not a known problem in 7ers like it is in 3ers but it's the same lax attitude that leads to the same problems.

You will also hear alot of crap about Nikasil v8's and BMW engines failing because these Nikasil coated internals are eating themselves up. Again, this is due to the treatment of the cars. Porsche also used Nikasil but didn't have a bad reputation for it only because the owners are proactive about taking care of the engine the way it was meant to be used.

If you have 15k for a car and can come up with maybe 4k a year for insurance and another 2-3k for standard scheduled maintenance, go for it. Not much goes wrong on the v8 cars as most of them are well taken care of.

Spend 20-25k initially but with only yearly work at around 1-2k, instead of 15k with 2-3k maintenance fees; and you won't have any serious problems like a Mercedes.

P.S. The cup holders are not worth shit. Rip them out and mail them back to Munich. :hay:

·
Banned
2,655 Posts

AWD
Seating for four
Cargo Room

Here is my list so far
Jaguar X-Type Auto/Manual AWD 2.5 19/27
Jaguar X-Type Auto/Manual AWD 3 18/27
BMW 740IL Auto RWD 4.4L (V8) 17/23
Dodge Magnum Auto/Manual AWD SXT(3.5) 17/24
Dodge Magnum Auto/Manual AWD RT(5.7) 17/24
2004+ WRX Manual AWD 2 19.5/26.5
Saab 92-X Manual AWD 2 19.5/26.5
Lexus IS-300 Manual RWD 3.0L 18/25
You can get a 2004 wrx with around 30,000 miles for under $15,000 im not sure about the others.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Or you can get a regular Impreza if it's truly just a dd. You can find a newer one compared to a WRX, better mileage, cheaper insurance, and probably hasn't been ragged on as much.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I currently own a Jeep Grand Cherokee w/ 160k miles.
I'm not too worried about mileage or service cost. It will rarely see the dealer.

That said, the majority of those items above are in the 15k range...I'm not in any hurry as I can wait to find one that hits the price point. I must say that I'm surprised that nobody came up with any creative solutions.

·
Classic Cars = Secks
490 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
x2 on the WRX. If you want a more comfortable ride and a little more power, the newer 05+ Legacy GT's are around 20 grand or less used. 250 HP. Not bad for the $. X-type Jag's are crap (I work at a Jag dealership)

·
Registered
65 Posts

AWD
Seating for four
Cargo Room

Suzuki SX4

AWD
Seats 4
23/28 Mileage
Its a Hatch!
Brand new 14,999 MSRP

LoL

1 - 20 of 23 Posts