Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A freind has done 2JZ GTE engine converison in his Australian VK Holden Commodore. Check it out.

2JZ VK

Prob is the engine he got has a damaged bore and he does not want the expense of doing a full house rebuild with an overbore and new pistions etc. What is required to turn a GE into GTE bottom end wise? Is it just a matter of changing pistons and rods? Are there any other differences, crank oil pump? The GTE head should bolt up shouldn't it?

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
As far as I know, the blocks are interchangeable... I dunno if the crank is different and you will have to swap the oilpan as well. I also dunno if the GE has a place for 2 knock sensors, or if you r will have to drill/tap the second spot.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
You could use it but that would be half assed way of doing it. Piston coolers do just that, cool the piston and lube the bore, without them when you turn up the boost your engine will more than likely have a short lifespan.....

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
mike91t said:
You could use it but that would be half assed way of doing it. Piston coolers do just that, cool the piston and lube the bore, without them when you turn up the boost your engine will more than likely have a short lifespan.....
not quite.....F1 cars dont use oil squiters old or new. Remember back in the 80's 4cylinder turbos cars with over 800hp. Technically a ge block maybe better structurally with mass as it lacks the oil squiters. I dont know how many Turbo B20/LS/Vtec hondas are out there with close 800hp and no oil squiters and they get the shit beaten out of them and they are still running strong.

Dave Henry proved ge blocks are fine. Him being the fastest stock block Supra in the world and him using the GE block(even with stock ge pistons)

A ge block can be had for around $100. TT Pistons w/ Rods(yes i know they are the same) go for like $300-350. Plus labor of between $500. So for under a thousand you have a shiny new rebuilt bottom-end as opposed to $2200 for a new GTE Block.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
I would like to know where you find $100 ge blocks! I'm sure that was the case befoer people found out that it was the same block as a GTE.
-Justin

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Where can you find a new GE block for $100? Acually the GE block cost's more than a GTE block. Atleast here in the US that is.

Of course you can make hp with a GE block but again as I said it's a half assed way of doing it. When I build I stay on the same level or upgrade. To myself and many the GE is a downgrade from the GTE since it doesn't have the "added" benefit of oil squirters. F1 engines operate at 19000rpm with pneumatic valves, dry sump etc. they can hardly be compared to our engines.

He asked if he can use a GE block and it has been answered... Yes you can but.... can go on and on............

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
When it comes to drag racing; the use of oil squirters can be negligible since oiling is more necessary in critical areas such as the rod bearings and such. Besides in drag racing, motors are short lived and get rebuilds so the addition of piston coolers really aren't necessary. For day to day use though, I think the oil squirters are very important to keep the longevity and the reliabilty of the motor.
-Justin

·
My boss set me on fire!?!
561 Posts
I have looked at both in detail. The Rods, Crank and casting of the Block are the same. A machine shop can add piston squirters if you reall you like. For a Race car there is NO NEED FOR SQUIRTERS IMHO. I pearsonally like having them for a street car. If I were in his situation I would probably get a GE or GTE bock (GTE if close to the same price, or GE if a Lot cheaper.) If GE I would use the GE rods and crank, throw some new TT pistons (~30 each from dealer) TT oil pump and be done with it.

Just my $.02

Danny

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I have sold and bought GE blocks for that price numerous times. Mostly high milage SC300 motors. The 2 current blocks I have are GE's and both were purchased from 100-150. Blown GTE blocks are sold for like $200. Maybe I got lucky a few times

But what Im saying(and everyone else) is using either or is fine. You wont be in the wrong going with either.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
I see full 2JZ-GEs w/auto trannies, harness and ECUs for less than $500 all the time in the for sale section and on Ebay. Just sell off some of the sensors and you still make $$ back and spend less than $500 for a bottom end (in running shape).

·
feeding your habit
4,014 Posts
squirters are actually little oil nozzles screwed into a machined surface on the block.... You could always buy them and add them , they are $9 each, but the machining is the expensive part.. the GE block isn't machined for them.

G

·
JamesN1830 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most aftermarket pistons get rid of the oil squirters? So if you are building a bad mamba-jamba then who cares.

Correct, most aftermarket pistons do not have provisions incorperated into them to use the oil squirters correctly. By no means do they "get rid" of them though. I suppose you could block them off, but I dont see any benefits to doing this. Maybe you could increase overall oil pressure, but GTE's generally dont have problems with oil pressure and increased oil pressure will only create more FMS issues.

·
Registered
74 Posts
ask guys who build hi horsepower honda engines. vtec engines come with oil squirters. when they build them they delete them. oil squirters are designed to cool the factory piston head and that is all. when you get aftermarket pistons, there is no need for squirters. the pressure of the squirters shooting up will just cause an obstruction on your piston on the down stroke.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
jz_n_it said:
ask guys who build hi horsepower honda engines. vtec engines come with oil squirters. when they build them they delete them. oil squirters are designed to cool the factory piston head and that is all. when you get aftermarket pistons, there is no need for squirters. the pressure of the squirters shooting up will just cause an obstruction on your piston on the down stroke.
Ummm or because those aftermarket pistons weren't designed for oil squirting applications in the first place. The pressure caused by the oil squirters on the skirts of the pistons are farrr less than the pressure from the combustion of the engine and is pretty much negligible. Sure you might free up a few ponies from not using the squirters, but that's risking hte longevity of your motor. I'll rather trust the Honda engineer who builds formula one motors than the mechanic who built that motor. Anyone can build a powerful motor with the combination of the right parts, but not many can make it reliable.
-Justin

·
2jz powered
1,688 Posts
I think most people would agree that if your building a race car or something to that extant, you should be fine with the GE block and don't need the oil squirters. For a street car, i would keep the squirters for longevity as mentioned by others.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I just picked up a Blown GE Motor for Free and TT pistons and Rods for $130. Sounds like a steal of a deal now...

·
Registered
74 Posts
importtuner said:
Ummm or because those aftermarket pistons weren't designed for oil squirting applications in the first place. The pressure caused by the oil squirters on the skirts of the pistons are farrr less than the pressure from the combustion of the engine and is pretty much negligible. Sure you might free up a few ponies from not using the squirters, but that's risking hte longevity of your motor. I'll rather trust the Honda engineer who builds formula one motors than the mechanic who built that motor. Anyone can build a powerful motor with the combination of the right parts, but not many can make it reliable.
-Justin

did the honda engineer that built the formula one motor tell you he has squirters in the engine? did the honda engineer tell you why he put oil squirters in? oil squirters were designed to cool the factory piston head as i stated before. afterrket pistons are built far stronger and capable of handling more abuse and heat than the factory piston so they are not needed.

and the longevity you speak of. exactly how long are you really planning on keeping that same set-up? I have yet to know anybody that lives the lifestyle of the "go-fast" that has kept the same set up for more than two race seasons and this is including street cars.

maybe i am just thinking like a die hard racer about the subject but i dont see how building an engine that does not have oil squirters would be any less reliable than buying some used engine off of the net with some mystery mileage.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts