Supra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, how u doin......?

I have an 1989 MKIII Turbo with an exaust and filter, well recently I drove my car pretty hard up and down a local mountain we call the pass, it went great, great handling car for it's size. Anyway after the drive I have had this metallic squelling sound like there is a stone in the break pad or something, anyway my mate jumped in and took it for a drive whilst I listened to exactly where the noise came from, sounded like the Universal joint! No lubrication in there I'm thinking? My center bearing is screwed and I was just wondering if the Universal joint is expensive and where you guys would get one from, and if anyone else has had this problem?

Cheers, Fabbz

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,160 Posts
Any garage should be able to "fix" a universal... is the sound coming from the back seat area? cause the first joint is at the end of the transmission , then the carrier around the mid back seat area, and the final universal near the rear..

If it makes a rattle under hard acceleration, it's the universals.... if it's a bad case, you can crawl under the car, **off, and cooled off** and grab the drive shaft and attempt to move it... it should be pretty solid...

try to give us some more information.

When my joints were not lubricated well, they made a "spaceship type whirling noise..."

so let us know.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Universal joint

Yeah it vibrates a little at about 1500rpm. It doesnt rattle under hard acceleration though. It isnt really noticible in the cabin, but when you have your head out the window you can hear it squeling like metal against metal. So where can I get a light-weight 1-peice driveshaft from in Australia??? How much is that going to cost me? I appreciate your help guys, it's blody embarassing cruisng down the street with a hot rare MKIII(In our neighbourhood no one has one) and it's squealing like a bitch!

Cheers guys

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,160 Posts
It's going to be expensive....

Most I've seen are darn close to the 1,000 mark, if not already 1,000 some.

If you get it repaired.. granted you definitely know it's the drive shaft's Universals... you'll be golden; from how you described the way you drive.

I would recommend one pieces for extreme torque and regular hard launching of the car.

The noise you describe sounds like when I engage the parking break while driving.... like a metallic hiss.... but I can't tell you for sure what it is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts