Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Centralia Zombie Patrol
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went down to Pete Moore Mitsubishi to check out a 94 twin they had on a back lot for another SF member, because he wasn't about to drive 3-4 hours just to see if it was worth buying or not when I'm local.

The ad claims that the car has never been wrecked, et cetera..

Good LORD what a lie! When I popped the hood, there were signs of a significant front end collision on the passenger front, and whatever it hit, it hit it hard enough to do some damage. I wasn't quite sure until I opened up the door and sat down to look around, and I noticed something odd about the passenger side.. I guess the airbag had deployed, because it looked like someone jammed the panel back into place, but with the way the heat has been it was half on, half off, and the adhesive was gummy, like it had been baking in the sun for a while. :freak:

The paint on the car had bubbles and the front lip, well, whoever owned it didn't seem to know that you take a car that sits so low over speed bumps/dips/what have you at an angle, and not at high speed. :bigthumb: It was cracked and scratched up pretty good. The rear bumper didn't even have clear coat on it.. It looked strange, but it was really shady on the rear area so I leaned down and ran my hand across it. Felt like an orange. :dunno: The front driver side bumper lens was cracked to shit - don't even KNOW how that happened.

The dealer -I- spoke with was honest enough.. it was the first time HE'D seen the car, because he was from the truck side of the lot, and his first words when I pointed to the bondo were, "Whoa, they want HOW much for this?" Also, the rims.. whoa. The passenger side rims were bit up fairly well, but the rear driver's side looked like someone tried to clean it with, I don't know, hydrochloric acid? The chrome was peeling off in chunks and underneath it had bite marks like it'd met more than just a curb. :rolleyes:

The best part.. the sidemount had this nasty overspray on it, and it was THICK.. How's THAT for cooling!

When I popped the hood I also felt around on some of the lines.. most of the hoses were brittle and dry rotted. Whoever was selling it claims to have redone all of that stuff within the last 5 months. The stuff under the hood of my car has been fairly well kept, but all of my lines, et cetera, are still rubbery as ever, no signs of dry rot or any other significantly comprimising wear, and it's been at least 3 years.

The sad part is, I know some kid who's fresh out of boot camp is going to drop WAY too much on this car and then spend a good amount trying to get it back up to par. The guy told me they wanted 18k for it, but when someone else I know went to scope it for me yesterday, they told him 25k.

It really blows that such a beautiful car got beat to hell, and it's double sucky that someone is going to panic on it instead of waiting to find one in better condition for a FAIR price. I have NO qualms spending 25k on a Supra that needs a little work.. I mean, it's a ten year old car, it'll need some things done to it, but it's just so much more logical to me to wait and find one that's been properly cared for instead of jumping on the first offer I see.

Didn't intend for this post to be so long.. Anyone else ever seen a dealership try to do this? Dodgy business right there.. So glad I was able to get a tech friend on the phone and start running through a list of shit to check on.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Wow that sounds like a nasty list. I remember buying my first supra. I didn't know jack and shit and ended up just buying it and praying for the best. It ended up needing some work, but my list was nowhere near yours! And I didn't get it at a dealership, you'd expect better from them!

C

·
0 Posts
I think there might be a law against that. If theres anything missing from that car that was shown in the add, then you can sue. Or back out of the loan , lease, agreement etc. same thing goes for houses when you buy them.

·
Registered
136 Posts
that happens... if its a new vehicle then yes they have to disclose everything, but if its a used vehicle they can just claim they didn't know, etc. if it doesn't show up on a carfax, and even if it is on a carfax they don't HAVE to tell you, they can even lie then if they want to. buyer beware 100% on used vehicles...

·
Very Senior Member
10,053 Posts
Another example of why you don't buy a car without checking it out extensively.

·
Registered
83 Posts
VickSupra said:
Another example of why you don't buy a car without checking it out extensively.

Yeah.... we got my MKIV roughly 3 months ago, and luckily for me I have an awesome boyfriend who knows just what to look for! We bought the car from another couple, seems another girl drove it before me. :)

Buying it from an individual instead of a dealership seems to be the better way to go... and yes, make sure you check out the car thoroughly!!! Not sure what I'd end up with without my guy there helping me out.

·
Registered
136 Posts
buying from a dealership isn't always a bad move. but make sure you buy from one with a good reputation, talk around at the local businesses and stuff before you buy, see what the locals have to say, they usually can tell you if its bad place to do business at or not.

·
Centralia Zombie Patrol
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nismo2491 said:
buying from a dealership isn't always a bad move. but make sure you buy from one with a good reputation, talk around at the local businesses and stuff before you buy, see what the locals have to say, they usually can tell you if its bad place to do business at or not.

I know the dealerships don't always try to get people, but when the guy admitted to me that he had no idea why they were asking so much for the car, and made the :nuts: sign about his co-workers, that told me right off the bat that this was not a car I need to be telling anyone to purchase.

The car is also mileage expemt, which I'm not sure if that means there is just no record OF it, or when the motor was rebuilt they never documented it.. Again :nuts: fishy stuff right there.

It's sad. This car could be prime, but it needs at least 6-8k worth of work, and that's MY cost on parts, not consumer cost. :jerkit:

·
You serious?
2,999 Posts
Was it advertised for a "good deal"?

You know, my car is always for sale. Just let me know when you have the cash in hand. :)

·
Retro Stuntin'
2,837 Posts
I remember checking out a Supra at a private dealer in Roseville a few years back....97 Black TT Auto...From the pictures on the net, it looked hella clean....then I drive up to check it out and it's far from clean....I guess the dealer who was selling it made sure to catch the "good side" of the car...the wheels were all beat to hell on the other side (didn't even match)...check engine light was on (dealer said he could turn it off for me =X)...open the hood and it's dirty as sin...front right side look like it was in a accident or something...hood didn't line up when closed...lots of scratches on it...back look damaged as well....interior was pretty dirty too...I wonder who bought it? He said some guy was picking it up for 25k but he offered to sell it to me for 20k if I bought it right there and then, but my friends suggested I don't...

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Something similar but with a different car. Saw a yellow 05 Mustang GT Vert. Had all the goodies. 5spd to go along with it. It was used with 600 miles and the dealer wanted 41 grand for the damn thing. It was a ford dealer too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It is such a shame to see something like that espeiciallly from a dealership. Good thing that you know what to look out for and you just saved yourself a ton of hassle.

·
I have auto ADD.
4,568 Posts
TKO said:
I remember checking out a Supra at a private dealer in Roseville a few years back....97 Black TT Auto...From the pictures on the net, it looked hella clean....then I drive up to check it out and it's far from clean....I guess the dealer who was selling it made sure to catch the "good side" of the car...the wheels were all beat to hell on the other side (didn't even match)...check engine light was on (dealer said he could turn it off for me =X)...open the hood and it's dirty as sin...front right side look like it was in a accident or something...hood didn't line up when closed...lots of scratches on it...back look damaged as well....interior was pretty dirty too...I wonder who bought it? He said some guy was picking it up for 25k but he offered to sell it to me for 20k if I bought it right there and then, but my friends suggested I don't...
Similar thing happened to me. I went up to some little used car dealership to look at some cars. Well there was the 96 Grand Cherokee in real nice shape but with high miles. Well I took it for a test drive and got about 1/4 mile down the street and the engine dies along with everything else with it. It's pretty scary going about 40mph without the power steering and brakes. Well I get it restarted and drive it back to the dealer and it dies AGAIN as I'm pulling onto the lot and I almost wreck into another car for sale. Well I get out and tell the salesman what happened. He said "Oh it just ran out of gas, I'll sell it to you for $4000 right now." Well originally he was selling it for $7000, and I'm not THAT stupid.

·
Centralia Zombie Patrol
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's on Ebay. Well, I don't know if it is anymore.

As for a good deal, I found an 04 Cobra with low miles and in excellent condition for a VERY good price.. the reason I know it isn't a scam is because the tech friend I called while I was scouring the Supra happens to work at the dealership where the SVT is and personally saw to the car for me.

Sometimes it's not always too good to be true, but if you don't have a man inside or good information to start with, I'd just keep shopping.

·
Centralia Zombie Patrol
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Formula1Vendetta said:
Was it advertised for a "good deal"?

You know, my car is always for sale. Just let me know when you have the cash in hand. :)
It's a targa, yeah? And red. :stickpoke

·
IUCK FSLAM
277 Posts
The auction is about to close so ill copy and paste.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4543020061&category=6447

Here is a 1994 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo in good condition. The car runs and drives fine. The interior is in good condition for the year but does show some staining in the carpets. The exterior is a re-paint and the paint looks very good from a distance but you do see the imperfections when you are looking close at the vehicle.

We are listing the vehicle for a customer. It is on consignment and it is not our vehicle. It was recently purchased on eBay for $18000.00 but turned out to be not what he wanted. The Carfax does not show any accidents but it has been painted and there is bondo under the hood and a couple other small places around the car. This car is exempt from mileage reporting but we are told that the miles are true. The Carfax states that the miles are not correct but once again it is exempt from mileage reporting. Please look at our full ad, including all pictures, before placing your bid. If you have any questions please ask them before placing your bid. I will do my best to get you answers to any questions that you have.

The following information is from the ad in which our customer read before he decided to purchase the vehicle. Pete Moore Automotive can not verify anything that is stated from this previous ad. We are simply supplying this info, as stated by the previous owner, to help you know as much about the car as we can possibly tell you. Please feel free to set up an inspection of the car before buying.

"‘94 Supra Twin Turbo Targa Top. Engine Rebuilt about 5k mi. ago. Turbos replaced (from Toyota) about 7k mi ago. Fresh “House of Kolor” Candy Red paint (pics don’t do the car justice). Custom 3” turbo back exhaust with high flow catalytic Apexi N1 exhaust polished canister. Brand new leather interior (old leather seats were cracked and worn). Dash panels repainted (old paint had scraped off). HKS Turbo Timer. New windshield (old windshield had a quarter-dollar sized crack). Car has also been lowered 1.5". I don’t want to see her go, but due to financial reasons, I must sell."

Mechanically, there’s nothing wrong with the car whatsoever. Paint needs to be buffed out because of wet sand swirl marks. Carpet is dirty – needs a good cleaning, although it’s in pretty good condition considering the year of the car. CD player does not work, but radio works fine. Passenger airbag cover is peeling around edges. It has never deployed, but adhesive is starting to come apart. Car need a wheel alignment. With these few minor touches, this car will be in immaculate condition.

Again, Pete Moore Automotive can not verify any of the information provided in the two previous paragraphs.

----Now they've thrown in these gay wheels if you buy it now for 18k.

And the bad stuff.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts