Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I got a 1995 Supra SE, 5-spd, no mods. She got a 2001 BMW 330xi, automatic/steptronic, no mods.

Anyway, we were going down the service road and and we kinda lined up and floored it from about 30mph...I beat her by 2 car lengths, but afterwards she says that she wasn't really racing me. About another 500 feet, we hit a light (still on the service road w/ no traffic). We line up and light turns green...its about even and she slowly pulls ahead. She keeps pulling little by little until she's about a full car length in front of me and we're doing about 80-90 by now...another light comes up and we both slow down and the race is over.

2001 BMW 330xi: 225 HP AWD
1995 Supra SE: 220 HP RWD

I know she got an extra 5hp but that shouldn't mean anything significant, but I thought I should have won b/c her car weighs a lot more than mine...ok...ok....I guess it might be the driver:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I need to start some mods....its been over a year and all I've done is put in a TRD air filter! I'm thinking about getting the HKS Super Drager Exhaust...I know I will lose some low end, but I really don't like the Greddy MX. Any other suggestions for mods?? I been to the Unorthodox racing website and they sell pulley's, lightened flywheel, crank pulley, etc.... I might try that if I can't find any other mods for my car...NO NOS tho...I want to go turbo later on and I don't want to damage or even take a chance at damaging the internals. I only got 22k miles on my car hopefully by around 40k I will have a turbo in there! Starting my turbo fund...any donations???:D :D

·
Senior
1,474 Posts
A station wagon? I know BMW makes a nice engine. I know steptronic is a good system, but don't AWDs have a hard time launching because of too much traction? What rpms were you shifting at? I' sure that although the peak #s are close, the BMW has more area under the curve (damn vanos system). I've got to check out that car spec website. Until then: Rematch Rematch Rematch :(

·
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not a station-wagon, its a 4-door sedan. I've driven in before, it's pretty quick off the line...of course its also an automatic...go fiqure:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
5,059 Posts
She beat you off the line because its AWD, you should be able to take her from a roll everytime though. I'm getting a new exhaust installed next week I'll tell you if I notice a difference in performance. I bought it from Ultima in lynbrook, they are really nice there. I paid $725 installed without tax because i'm paying cash.

·
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Axionf117 said:
She beat you off the line because its AWD, you should be able to take her from a roll everytime though. I'm getting a new exhaust installed next week I'll tell you if I notice a difference in performance. I bought it from Ultima in lynbrook, they are really nice there. I paid $725 installed without tax because i'm paying cash.

Hey Axionf117, what exhaust are you getting? Also where on Long Island are you from? I'm by Stony Brook! You know any other Supra owners around the area? Maybe we can get a meet going or something? Well let me know...lataz

·
5,059 Posts
I'm in Rockville Centre, I ordered the A'PEXi GT Spec exhaust, I go to the bellmore meet almost every friday @ 8 a few Supra guys go there too, message me on aim or w/e AxionF117 is my sn

T

·
0 Posts
I think you should check your spark plugs or your compression or do something. What were your shift points?
You shouldn't lose to a 330 from a roll, even if it was MT. They weigh 300+ lbs more than you. To top that off, even more severe drivetrain loss, because of AWD. Then even worse its an AT. I would guestimate a 35 to 40% drivetrain loss on that vehicle. Compared to a 20-25% loss for the Supra MT(32% for AT).

That puts the Supra at 167HP(24%loss) to the wheels vs 145 for the BMW(figuring 35% loss, which is optimistic for an AWD AT)

From a roll, you should really pounce on a BMW 330xi

G

·
0 Posts
same problem here...

my friends got a 330i and he does the same thing to my 95 se auto....its embarrasing. I wish i had the TT, but like most others i couldnt find a good one. :(

when we line up and take off from a dead stop he slowly starts pulling away....pisses me off...

what can i do??

thanks

·
Senior
1,474 Posts
If ya got the cash, go n/a bpu! According to my engineer buddy (&BMW enthusiast), BMWs are already maxed out for intake/exhaust from the factory & have little to gain from headers etc. We (and I'll really mean it after I get mine!)do however benefit substantualy from these bolt ons.
Take a look at fusion_suprA! You may not have to go to that level (I'd like to get close though!) to get past the Bimmer,but it can be done.:cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts