Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't get the pilot bearing off. And I don't want to try the grease method because i don't have a grease gun and I don't want to just make a big mess. It looks like whoever put this pilot bearing in went nuts on it and bashed the crap out of it.

My question is, Is the pilot bearing just stuck inside the flywheel? ... b/c I'm replacing the flywheel anyway. Should I just be able to unbolt the flywheel and take both flywheel and pilot bearing with me?

2nd question is, why won't my flywheel come off after I unbolt it? Is it because the pilot bearing is still in there?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
The pilot bearing is in the crank, not the flywheel. There is a locating boss on the crank that the flywheel is likely stuck on. A light tap with a deadblow hammer around the circumference of the flywheel will break it free.

I'm a big fan of the grease method. Just pick up a tub of grease and pack the ID full. A headbolt fits perfectly as a driver. Hit it HARD once and you'll be done.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Get a piolet bearing puller.. they work so damn well

If you dont have grease Astroglide will work :bigthumb:

·
I heart 80's Toyota's
631 Posts
yea... the grease method is great.... I acutally used handsoap once as i didn't have grease.
Also... if you have a drill bit set, you might find a drill bit that fits snugg

-Dustin

·
Señor Member
4,741 Posts
When Kruso and I had to get a completely rusted bearing out we tried everything above. We even broke a pilot bearing removal tool. It just wouldn't come out. After a few frusterating hours, I pulled out my rotozip and 1.25 inch metal cutting blade. Although there was some damage to the crank, it was minimal. Here is a picture of the mini metal cutting blade:

Note: this should be your last and final resort. Be sure you try all the other suggestions first before proceeding with this.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay so I thought the grease method was bullpoop.. after about an hour of yanking with a puller tool I decided I might as well give the grease method a go (I got a hold of a grease gun). I couldn't find a spare 12mm bolt so I had to go out and pick one up at Canadian tire. The bearing was out about 45 seconds after I got back in the garage. Frickin amazing.

And the flywheel simply wiggled off.

Thanks guys!!!

All was going well... until I lost a drill bit into the water jacket while drilling a frost plug :( ... it was a small one so hopefully i can flush that out... or just wait til it makes its way to the water pumped and then replace the water pump.

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,984 Posts
Congratulations! I've tried the grease method in earnest on no less than 3 separate occasions, & never once met with success, just a mess. My hat's off to all of you with that special touch. Funny thing- one time I witnessed a guy using wet toilet paper & a bolt, and it worked. LOL. Crazy.
;)

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
matt_d82 said:
Okay so I thought the grease method was bullpoop.. after about an hour of yanking with a puller tool I decided I might as well give the grease method a go (I got a hold of a grease gun). I couldn't find a spare 12mm bolt so I had to go out and pick one up at Canadian tire. The bearing was out about 45 seconds after I got back in the garage. Frickin amazing.

Shoulda used astroglide.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just removed my pilot bearing yesterday. First i tried the grease method with no luck. I just ended up making a mess since the grease spilled out through the bearing...
Luckily I had read this thread the day before yesterday, and I thought I'd give the wet toilet paper a try, and it worked like a charm.
MUCH easier than the grease, and no mess either...

·
1JZ BLING!
2,747 Posts
got a stock head bolt??

stick in in there and hit down on it with a hammer (not towards the crank, but down on the side of it)

pow, bearing breaks in a million pieces...

·
Supranian
2,007 Posts
Me, well I'm in the same boat.....can't get the pilot bearing out. What is this "grease method" that everyone is talking about. Let me see if I understand this correctly. You pack the end of the crank full of grease and then take a head bolt and pound it directly through the center of the pilot bearing, thus displacing the grease inside to force the bearing out????? :confused:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah, that's basically the idea. But when I tried it the grease went out through the balls in the bearing and made a mess of everything.

Then I tried stuffing wet toilet paper in there instead, pounding the headbolt, more wet toilet paper, more pounding and so on...
Each time it got a little further out, and there was no mess at all

·
Supranian
2,007 Posts
Soldier9 said:
Yeah, that's basically the idea. But when I tried it the grease went out through the balls in the bearing and made a mess of everything.

Then I tried stuffing wet toilet paper in there instead, pounding the headbolt, more wet toilet paper, more pounding and so on...
:wtflol:
I guess I will give it a shot tomorrow. I have a headache....

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
What the heck. So, from what i understand. I don't have a grease gun so, get a whole bunch of wet toilet paper. Cram it in the pilot bearing hole and get a bolt "12mm" was it? And Smack the bolt really hard and it comes out?? is that right... Explain in detail...everything...

·
Registered
343 Posts
Soldier9 said:

stuffing the wet toilet paper is the old school trick, not all the pilot bearings are sealed.... I used this method, it's a bit time consuming but it works.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts