Supra Forums banner

Dashcluster 87 Supra issue

2K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  carmaster01 
#1 ·
Hey all,

So Ive got my 87 Supra just about fully functional with the exception of the dashcluster not working my cluster is out of an 88 Supra I googled part # to verify all plugs are cinnected. The lights on the dash work, when I start the car the boost gauge maxes out and nothing else works no fuel no temp no oil pressure no Rpm nothing maybe I'm missing a ground? Let me know what you think please

Thanks

#2 ·
Check the fuses first but are you 100% sure all plugs in the back of the cluster are plugged in? Do your indicator lights on the dash light up such as the turn signals, door open, engine light, battery light?

There is slight differences in wiring the back of the cluster for the non turbo and the turbo clusters, do they both come from turbo Supra's?

#3 ·
Yes I'm 100 percent on the connections and fuses and yes it's turbo like I said boost gauge maxes out and the lights do come on but thats it. I dug a little deeper today pulled the cluster back out and noticed I'm missing some pins in a few connectors. I found a good diagrams but it's for a 90 Supra so I'm not sure if its accurate but see pictures and let me know what you think
The line indicates pins I'm missing on the drawing

Attachments

#6 ·
I'm a little lost because the wires are totally gone not just cut and the harness looks, in my opinion, still factory. So Im not sure if the harness is supposed to be like that and the drawings are wrong or not. Since I'm missing the point for GAUGE fuse it makes sense why none of the gauges work. PLEASE HELP
Much appreciated

#8 ·
Did this problem just happen or did you remove the dashboard by any chance? Your problem sounds very odd and is not normal to have.

Besides the plugs that plug into the back of the instrument cluster, you have other plugs that plug into the body harness under the dashboard that run power to the instrument cluster and I am wondering if those are disconnected?

#9 ·
I got this car as a shell and it had no instrument cluster I bought this one and put it in myself I just got the engine and trans and everything wired including the chassis the connectors for the chassis harness are all hooked up and have power from the ecu. Like I said I think the problem is those missing pins because according to the diagram the gauge fuse powers the boost gauge, tach, temp, oil and fuel and none of those work, it is very odd to me that's why I posted I do not see why anyone would want to remove them unless they had a custom setup at one time maybe?

#11 ·
Here is a TSRM for a 87 Supra. Start with page 100, see if you are getting power (from the wiring diagram) and go from their. I have parted out multiple Supras and seen the dash harness plugs that runs from the body wiring and it may have been disconnected from the prior owner and forgot to be reconnected.

http://www.turboninjas.com/mk3supra/1987/1987_Mk3_TEWD.pdf

#18 ·
Here is a TSRM for a 87 Supra. Start with page 100, see if you are getting power (from the wiring diagram) and go from their. I have parted out multiple Supras and seen the dash harness plugs that runs from the body wiring and it may have been disconnected from the prior owner and forgot to be reconnected.

http://www.turboninjas.com/mk3supra/1987/1987_Mk3_TEWD.pdf
Hey, sorry for reviving the thread.
Does anyone have this PDF? The link is extremely slow

Thanks

#13 ·
Well all of the connectors in the dash and all are plugged in everything seems to be where it should be. Since you've seen these cluster harnesses before are those pins usually missing? The wiring diagram is excellent though I really appreciate that great help

#14 ·
TBH I do not remember each pin but with the wiring diagram I would check with a test light or multi-meter to see if you are getting power at the 8 pin on the blue connector (page 102).

I do believe they would leave pins out on the earlier Supra as later years they might add features such as the air bag light or other future features and not want to change the connector style.

#15 ·
Ok so a few updates I bought another turbo cluster from an 87 same year and lucked out the original connectors were snipped at the back of cluster, and missing same pins, so I ruled that out. I found my m1 plug totally disconnected just the female end from the cluster harness so I cut and wired the temp sender directly I got that to work I still can't get oil pressure, tach, check engine, and turn signals to work I read that I need an adapter for the oil pressure sender and I'm getting steady voltage from pin A6 for tach that increases with rpms but tach needle still not working I don't know what else to do, the signal is there but needle doesn't move any ideas?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.