Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Lemonade Tycoon
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DaveH,

I've been interested in turbo kits lately after reading your posts and seeing your vid with your NA-T in action. I've only been participating to the NA forum recently...I had thought that the NA was a lost cause.

Anyhow, seeing that you're the guru around here, along with some others, I'd like to know the complexity of the installation of a turbo kit into the NA. I haven't run across any pages with write-ups for the NA yet so I just checked out some other pages to kind of get the idea of what's involved.

I would probably not get a 'kit' but would try to piece the parts myself to pinch pennies in any way that I can. I am looking at a goal of 400hp and the SP turbos look interesting.

One page I came across was this:

http://thenew.gamesbbs.com/~dmoore/turbo.htm

It's a GReddy kit for a Civic...is it more or less the same, in terms of the parts, tools, etc? I don't know anyone with a turbo kit in their NA, nor do I know what is involved with the installation. After reading the pages above which outline the installation, is it a fair indication of the complexity of the install? It seems like a good challenge to me...

Anything left out by the writer in the link above? Any extra problems or complexities faced in the NA?

Your insight is appreciated, along with anyone elses...

Huy

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
I'll assume you are installing a fairly high HP kit... the install will be a fair amount tougher than the Honda kit. First you gotta pull the head and install the thick headgasket to lower compression. Actually you might want to just pull the engine so adding the oil return to the upper oil pan is easier. Also, getting to the oil supply (oil pres sender) is much easier with the engine out, otherwise you gotta remove the a/c pump to get at it. While the head is off you install the larger injectors. Engine goes back in, then it's a matter of mounting up the exhaust manifold/turbo and running the lines. Mount the intercooler and piping. Get in the hatch area and install the new fuel pump. Then comes wiring in the VPC/AFC, which is a pita because the ecu is in the passenger footwell and there isn't much wiring to work with. Install and wire your gauges (egt and boost). Install a exhaust, and you are ready to go. It took me about a weeks worth of evenings and weekends.

S

·
0 Posts
Hi Dave,

I'm a Newbee ....
I was wondering if you have a complete list of all of your Mods??
i've been reading all of your posts but haven't come across a complete list yet .. I would greatly appreciate any help, and your expertise!!
thanks in advance,
shane....

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
Ok here goes, in no particular order: SP63 turbo, SP tubular header/downpipe, HKS GT wastegate, HKS Drager, custom intercooler piping, Greddy Type R bov, Apexi fmic, PHR intake manifold, PHR fuel rail, 750cc injectors, -6an lines from tank to rail, Paxton fuel press regulator, dual Walbro fuel pumps, HKS VPC, Apexi AFC, Greddy EGT, SPI boost gauge, HKS Twin Power ignition, Magnecore wires, NGK 1095 plugs, NOS 75 shot single fogger (also have 140hp direct port), HKS turbo timer, SP built tranny, SP 3200 stall converter, external trans cooler, TT rear differential, SW Racecars 8-point rollbar, Sabelt 5-point harness, some stereo equip...wheels...ect. :D

R

·
0 Posts
Dave,

I think that it is pretty cool how you always seem to help us NA guys out. I have found that you have answered more questions that I have had (sometimes by just reading other people's ?'s) than anybody else.

Maybe you should just have the common list so you can just copy past. :D

Jeff

R

·
0 Posts
Take a look here for some basic highlights on the turbo kit install. Not a bolt by bolt manual but it will give you a really good basic idea of what it will take

Rob_O

·
Lemonade Tycoon
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the responses everyone -- very informative! The link provided by Rob_O was great!

Huy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts