Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
handy with the steel
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been tinkering with the idea of running a DBW throttlebody on my stock intake manifold. Bosch makes a range of universal dbw throttle bodies, and a company called TAARKS (from down under) makes an adapter plate for the Bosch 68mm to the factory VVTi intake manifold:

.....it looks like it would work with the non-vvti manifold, although I'm assuming there's a good reason they're listing it specifically for the vvti?

Is there a difference in the flange for the VVTi vs non?

·
Blue Thunder
3,431 Posts
Why would you do this? they are listing it for the VVT-i because it replaces the VVT-i DBW.

·
Boost Junkie
12,403 Posts
You can buy an entire kit with all you need from Vlad Ytutechenko (bad spelling) at National Speed. I'd reach out to him.

Steve

·
Inline for the win
4,690 Posts
^ Exactly... I'm running DBW and its too slick... Pedal tuning, better Idle control, retain CC (if you ECU permits its), and many more.

·
Registered
628 Posts

·
handy with the steel
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whifbitz has a kit too, but it's silly-expensive Whifbitz Drive By Wire Throttle Conversion

I found a couple of items that should work, but still need the adapter from intake to Bosch TB.
Bosch 0280750474 Throttle Lever Bosch Throttle Body Assembly
Lexus SC430 DBW pedal

Nice!

I assume the sc430 pedal bolts right up?

Also the bosch 74mm would be my preference, as that's a true 3" TB, and I could reuse on a plazaman intake when I am ready to step up. I wonder if the flange for it is bigger than the 68mm...going to see if I can find some flange diagrams...

Thanks!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I did this mod to my vvt-i a few years ago. I made my own adaptor and use a Bosch unit from a Porsche.

Bosch Throttle Body (0280750474)
Porsche O-Ring Gasket (99711031900)
Lexus SC430 DBW Pedal (78010-24010)

·
Registered
628 Posts
The 0156 model is a 68mm bore. The 0474 one is a 74mm bore. Now need to find an adapter for that 74mm one to the stock non-vvti intake ...
Hrm - there's also an 82mm model (0280750473)
One thing I notice from the Whifbitz one is the adapter is fairly long/deep. That's to put the throttle-body opening in the stock location, so "normal" piping will match up cleanly. The TAARKS one from EFI SOlutions looks a lot thinner, so I'm guessing that it will require a longer silicon adapter.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The Whifbitz TB adaptor only fits non VVT-i OEM intakes, there is a bolt pattern difference between the non and VVT-i. The intake manifolds are also two different sizes with the VVT-i being the smaller of the two.

The TB's are available in different lengths. The short version is for the OEM fuel rail and the big metal dildo version is for a top feed fuel rail.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Anyone know what the stock intake bore diameter is ? Be good to have that known in this thread, for both non-VVTi as well as VVTi. If it's small-ish, it probably isn't worth trying to mate up a 74mm or 82mm TB.

How about sources for adapters other than Whifbitz ($$) and TAARKS/EfiSolutions ?

·
Registered
184 Posts
The TAARKS adapter would not work on a non-vvti upper, the flange pattern is different. I have the Taarks piece, a non-vvti and a vvti manifold.

I would just buy a VVTI upper as its a cleaner solution if you are going Dbw, it does not have the large port for the Idle air control valve, so it ends up looking cleaner

·
Registered
628 Posts
Nice, thanks. I believe that the non vvti intake s slightly larger in bore, isn't it ? From those photos it looks like a 74mm TB would be perfect, and a little bit of grinding would open up the intake to match a bit better.

I gotta say though, that getting a vvti intake sounds appealing, mainly to get rid of the idle air port.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Couldn't tell you in all honesty, it's a long time since I owned my non VVT-i and I lost a lot of photos when my HD crashed.

I wouldn't recommend changing the shape of the port as you will be changing the way the air flows into the manifold. That is why I made the adaptor, to smooth the transition of airflow. You also need to machine a circular groove into the adaptor to seal against the DBW TB.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Does anyone know the part # for the Lexus DBW pedal that fits in the MKIV ? I believe it's 78120g or 78120-24010, but I'm not sure. Searching on 78120g brings up a lot of variants.
Whifbitz has their kit which includes the pedal, and it's a bolt-in part, no modifications needed.
Closest I've found is the 78120g for a Lexus SC430 - is that the right one ?
78120g DBW pedal

·
Registered
628 Posts
I swear ... Senility is great because you can hide your own Easter eggs. I thought I had scanned the whole thread, and totally missed your post.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts