Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
handy with the steel
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been tinkering with the idea of running a DBW throttlebody on my stock intake manifold. Bosch makes a range of universal dbw throttle bodies, and a company called TAARKS (from down under) makes an adapter plate for the Bosch 68mm to the factory VVTi intake manifold:

.....it looks like it would work with the non-vvti manifold, although I'm assuming there's a good reason they're listing it specifically for the vvti?

Is there a difference in the flange for the VVTi vs non?

·
Blue Thunder
3,497 Posts
Why would you do this? they are listing it for the VVT-i because it replaces the VVT-i DBW.

·
Boost Junkie
12,530 Posts
You can buy an entire kit with all you need from Vlad Ytutechenko (bad spelling) at National Speed. I'd reach out to him.

Steve

Reactions: CDSaints

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Why would you do this? they are listing it for the VVT-i because it replaces the VVT-i DBW.
It just replaces the older DBW with the newer Bosch style DBW. Most people are trying to ADD DBW to their setups.

This adapter should work since the cable throttle body is interchangeable with both manifolds.

·
Inline for the win
4,714 Posts
^ Exactly... I'm running DBW and its too slick... Pedal tuning, better Idle control, retain CC (if you ECU permits its), and many more.

·
Registered
683 Posts

·
handy with the steel
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whifbitz has a kit too, but it's silly-expensive Whifbitz Drive By Wire Throttle Conversion

I found a couple of items that should work, but still need the adapter from intake to Bosch TB.
Bosch 0280750474 Throttle Lever Bosch Throttle Body Assembly
Lexus SC430 DBW pedal

Nice!

I assume the sc430 pedal bolts right up?

Also the bosch 74mm would be my preference, as that's a true 3" TB, and I could reuse on a plazaman intake when I am ready to step up. I wonder if the flange for it is bigger than the 68mm...going to see if I can find some flange diagrams...

Thanks!

·
Registered
286 Posts
I did this mod to my vvt-i a few years ago. I made my own adaptor and use a Bosch unit from a Porsche.

Bosch Throttle Body (0280750474)
Porsche O-Ring Gasket (99711031900)
Lexus SC430 DBW Pedal (78010-24010)

·
Registered
683 Posts
The 0156 model is a 68mm bore. The 0474 one is a 74mm bore. Now need to find an adapter for that 74mm one to the stock non-vvti intake ...
Hrm - there's also an 82mm model (0280750473)
One thing I notice from the Whifbitz one is the adapter is fairly long/deep. That's to put the throttle-body opening in the stock location, so "normal" piping will match up cleanly. The TAARKS one from EFI SOlutions looks a lot thinner, so I'm guessing that it will require a longer silicon adapter.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The Whifbitz TB adaptor only fits non VVT-i OEM intakes, there is a bolt pattern difference between the non and VVT-i. The intake manifolds are also two different sizes with the VVT-i being the smaller of the two.

The TB's are available in different lengths. The short version is for the OEM fuel rail and the big metal dildo version is for a top feed fuel rail.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Anyone know what the stock intake bore diameter is ? Be good to have that known in this thread, for both non-VVTi as well as VVTi. If it's small-ish, it probably isn't worth trying to mate up a 74mm or 82mm TB.

How about sources for adapters other than Whifbitz ($$) and TAARKS/EfiSolutions ?

·
Registered
184 Posts
The TAARKS adapter would not work on a non-vvti upper, the flange pattern is different. I have the Taarks piece, a non-vvti and a vvti manifold.

I would just buy a VVTI upper as its a cleaner solution if you are going Dbw, it does not have the large port for the Idle air control valve, so it ends up looking cleaner

·
Registered
683 Posts
Nice, thanks. I believe that the non vvti intake s slightly larger in bore, isn't it ? From those photos it looks like a 74mm TB would be perfect, and a little bit of grinding would open up the intake to match a bit better.

I gotta say though, that getting a vvti intake sounds appealing, mainly to get rid of the idle air port.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Couldn't tell you in all honesty, it's a long time since I owned my non VVT-i and I lost a lot of photos when my HD crashed.

I wouldn't recommend changing the shape of the port as you will be changing the way the air flows into the manifold. That is why I made the adaptor, to smooth the transition of airflow. You also need to machine a circular groove into the adaptor to seal against the DBW TB.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Does anyone know the part # for the Lexus DBW pedal that fits in the MKIV ? I believe it's 78120g or 78120-24010, but I'm not sure. Searching on 78120g brings up a lot of variants.
Whifbitz has their kit which includes the pedal, and it's a bolt-in part, no modifications needed.
Closest I've found is the 78120g for a Lexus SC430 - is that the right one ?
78120g DBW pedal

·
Registered
683 Posts
I swear ... Senility is great because you can hide your own Easter eggs. I thought I had scanned the whole thread, and totally missed your post.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts