Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so my 1990 turbo has been sitting over the winter. The battery was obviously dead. I hooked it up to a charger and all the lights come on, but nothing operates. The windows don't go down, the automatic locks don't work, the lights won't go up. The motor cranks over, but no fire.

I assume this is because of the theft deterrent system.

I've tried to lock and unlock both doors with the key etc. I'm wondering if there might be a sensor in the hood that keeps it from resetting if it's up. I can't put the hood down because of needing to keep cables on the battery.

Ideas?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Okay, so my 1990 turbo has been sitting over the winter. The battery was obviously dead. I hooked it up to a charger and all the lights come on, but nothing operates. The windows don't go down, the automatic locks don't work, the lights won't go up. The motor cranks over, but no fire.

I've tried to lock and unlock both doors with the key etc. I'm wondering if there might be a sensor in the hood that keeps it from resetting if it's up. I can't put the hood down because of needing to keep cables on the battery.

Ideas?
Hmmm this happened to me the other day but everything worked but it just didn't crank.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
if it cranks over but doesnt fire hen it is a sensor on the driver side kick panel...check the 15's i believe its one of the second rows or something if not then its definitly the third row...this happened to me all it did was sit there cranking until i changed it...believe it or not it was the theft thing.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
stock theft derrents rule.... yeah, go and check the tsrm for how to disable the theft deterrents.

i dont have my supra chassis anymore, but from the way toyota works, your gonna have to charge the battery, hook it up. then go and unlock the driver side door from the outside with the key (turn it twice while unlocking just to be sure, mine works that way), then get in, shut the door and try to start it... typically using the key on teh drivers door will disable the system and allow it to start.

if not, then check your fuses, theres a 15a fuse that blows normally that keeps the car from being able to start, but other than that, check out the tsrm diagnostic system pages

·
Registered
84 Posts

Ideas?
I just had a recent encounter with problems with the theft deterrent system, if the engine cranks over its not that, when its activated it will cut the signal going to the starter, thus not letting you crank. In my case my problem was that both my door locks are damaged from a theft attempt or old age, and to top things off, the little sensor thats connected to them inside the door was broken so i couldnt deactivate it anyway, i had to disassemble the door panel, get to the little sensor, and splice the wires to fool the theft deterrent computer into thinking the car is always opened, i figured i can putt a toggle switch under my dash with those lines to turn on or off the theft deterrent system, but since my car has an external car alarm i left it like that.

Like previous suggestions, check all your fuses and relays inside the cockpit and in the engine bay to make sure all is well. Appart from that, and i hate to say it but its happened to me, rats tend to love parked cars too much, and eat the electrical systems mainly. Its another unfortunate problem i have had too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts