Supra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I have been looking for a car for her. My friend is a saleman at a local honda lot. We ideally would like to buy through him as opposed to giving a stranger our business. Well, we found a perfect car for her at a local Acura dealer. I told my friend about it and he said they could, "use their pull" and buy it from the Acura dealer. He acts like he is doing us a favor, but I'm not sure. I half expect him to say, boy that was tough, but we got it for you, now it's 5k more!

How does this work? Do dealerships help each other out by essentially discounting cars and then transferring them? I mean it is Honda/Acura. Or should I expect a small markup because they had to "get it"? I would be willing to pay alitlle over the Acura dealer's price, but not much.

Thanks for reading

·
Registered
296 Posts
Dealers can do that. I work at a Pontiac-GMC dealership in sales. I wanted to buy an Infiniti though, so I found one at a local Infiniti dealer. My dealership bought it at a wholesale price and than bought it from my dealership for the same exact price. Dealership did not make any profit. But your friend can buy it and resell it to you. Dealers will do that. If the Acura dealership wants to give up the car at a "wholesale" price, and your friend will pass the savings on to you. I'd first find out what the lowest price the Acura dealer will retail the car to you for, than ask your friend how much he can get the car for and sell it to you for. I think if his dealership is going to cut a check for the whole amount to buy the car and it's a used car, you should expect to pay anywhere from $100-$500 over what they get it for.

~Asim

·
BPU is so 1997
5,353 Posts
A local dealer that specializes in leasing all sorts of cars organized the sale of a new Honda Odyssey to a local guy. He traded in his '98 Supra TT 6 spd with around 30k miles for $21k to them, and went to the Honda dealer and picked up his Odyssey.

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
why go thru all the hassle, just buy it from the people that have the car and cut out the middle man,unless he can get a better deal out the door than Acura dealer

·
Banned
2,655 Posts
exvelocity said:
why go thru all the hassle, just buy it from the people that have the car and cut out the middle man,unless he can get a better deal out the door than Acura dealer
Bingo,

dealers buy cars privately and mark the shit out of them all the time. Get your own loan find the car you want privately and save thousands!!!!I could give you a million examples but who wants to hear my ramblings.:)

·
'95 SC300 2jzgte/T78
1,717 Posts
The dealership I worked at helped me get financing for my SC300 and they did not make a dime off the deal because my friend in finance just wanted to help me get my car. Although I know thats a rare case because someone usually wants a piece of the pie.

exvelocity and Ball Bearing Supra are right though thats the best way to do it.

·
Getrag Gearhead
1,872 Posts
Rule #1: Do not talk about your trade-in or finance until you have decided on a price.

The dealer I used to work at had a sister honda store. When I bought my wife's CRV I ended up getting the vehicle for invoice + $300 (employee rule book). I wanted American honda finance but the honda dealer gave me the run around. They mentioned that the only company to finance me was a high interest rate credit union. I didn't care my credit score was 800 and now its even more so I knew they were full of it. My wife was flipping out about it but I picked up the car anyways and didn't even care. My wife was still flipping out on the way home about the 15% rate they financed us on. The next day I called Chase and got an interest rate of 3.9%. Those idoits lost any money they would have made from finance the very next day. If they would've been honest to me they wouldn't have lost all of it. I even wrote a letter to honda about it. I showed them my credentials about who I was and what happened. A week later I found out that the new car manager and finance managers got fired. Being greedy has a price to pay.

You will be surprised how much savings you get when you walk into a dealer at the last day of the month to buy a car. I've seen dealers sell cars under invoice to hit their target volume sales. April is a good month to do so since the tax season slows down the dealer sales business and there usually won't be any new models out that time of the year. December is another good month for year end manufacturer kick backs reducing the price of the car even further. Whatever you do don't talk about your finances or trade-in until you've agreed on a price. Heck get a written price quote if needed. Kinda like a good faith estimate when you purchase a house.

-Joe

·
Senior Spooler
1,206 Posts
carchitect said:
Rule #1: Do not talk about your trade-in or finance until you have decided on a price.

The dealer I used to work at had a sister honda store. When I bought my wife's CRV I ended up getting the vehicle for invoice + $300 (employee rule book). I wanted American honda finance but the honda dealer gave me the run around. They mentioned that the only company to finance me was a high interest rate credit union. I didn't care my credit score was 800 and now its even more so I knew they were full of it. My wife was flipping out about it but I picked up the car anyways and didn't even care. My wife was still flipping out on the way home about the 15% rate they financed us on. The next day I called Chase and got an interest rate of 3.9%. Those idoits lost any money they would have made from finance the very next day. If they would've been honest to me they wouldn't have lost all of it. I even wrote a letter to honda about it. I showed them my credentials about who I was and what happened. A week later I found out that the new car manager and finance managers got fired. Being greedy has a price to pay.

You will be surprised how much savings you get when you walk into a dealer at the last day of the month to buy a car. I've seen dealers sell cars under invoice to hit their target volume sales. April is a good month to do so since the tax season slows down the dealer sales business and there usually won't be any new models out that time of the year. December is another good month for year end manufacturer kick backs reducing the price of the car even further. Whatever you do don't talk about your finances or trade-in until you've agreed on a price. Heck get a written price quote if needed. Kinda like a good faith estimate when you purchase a house.

-Joe
Folks this is excellent advice! I bought a Toyota on the 29th of April for LESS than invoice. I even got chromed side bars thrown in....they tried to make up the loss in the extended coverage BS.
I even got them to commit to my trade BEFORE they saw it. My truck was rusted from head to toe 1988 Toyota extra cab 4x4 w/212k on it. They said 3000.00 no matter the condition on the trade. When the deal time came they balked after seeing the truck... told me 1500.00.
I told them no way, see you, go talk to your GM or whoever, because I'm walking. My wife was shocked she knew how bad I wanted a new truck. The salesmen then said ok, we will do it and mumbled something about making it up on the other end.
I laughed when they sprung the warranty BS on me. Nope not interested! The guy looked stunned and sent in another blowhole who tried even harder, I told him he was wasting his breath.
Where is my contract and my keys.
I got the truck for 4200.00 under MSRP and 900.00 under invoice. Play your cards right , never buy when you need a vehicle, keep trying until you find one willing to deal.

Great advice!

Tom

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just as an FYI I got the car for what the Acura dealership was asking, plus I got it Honda certified. Actually I got it for 4k less than their original asking price, but that was done by the car having sat on the lot for weeks.
Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts