Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i got a story for you guys. So, as some of you have heard, I had a bit of a mishap with my car last night. Loaned it to a friend, so i could borrow his pickup for a day. He decided that he loved the car, and wanted to keep it for a little while. It was about 6 days that he had the car, and was doing some incrediable tuning with the standalone.

Anyhow, last night, we were all out and about with the cars, chris (my friend) and marc (another friend) were riding around in the car. As i pull into my driveway, i get a call from them. "uh, tom, we have a little problem, had an engine fire, you should come down here." So i head down, assuming that it couldnt be anything big, as they put it out, and the guy driving the car was the engine builder, so he can help me fix about anything. As i pull up, there is almost a quarter mile of skid marks (acutally measured it). I jump out, not pissed at all, realizing that at least they are alive. They told me the story about how they were at about 6000 rpms in 5th gear, and still pulling hard, when there was a loud pop, bang, and fire ball flew out the hood. Immediatly following that, the rear tires locked (at 160 to 170mph), and the car went into a skid. Spun something like 2 or 3 times down the highway for about a quartermile. Came to a stop facing the wrong way in a 4 lane divided highway, and they jumped out with the fire extinguisher. Blew out any flames under the hood, and pushed the car to the shoulder.

So we are all standing around, trying to figure why a fire would cause the tires to lock. I found the severed speedo cable hanging down, and thought that mabye that had something to do with it. Tow truck is called, and on the way. Just before he gets there, i discover a fist sized hole in the block, which explains why there was a fire, and the tires locked.

Overall damage consists of: 4 flat spotted tires (about .25 inche shaved off), some black shit from the explosion, and the fire suppressent shit. All the wiring harness is fine, no hoses are damaged. The speedo cable is fucked, but was anyway before hand. In addition,the motor is pretty much shit the bed, and will need to be totally reconstructed. Everything associated with the chassis is ok.

Motor needs to come out, entire engine bay repainted, and cleaned, and a NEW motor installed with a new speedo cable, and im gonna try the tires, and see how bad they wobble.

I got pics of the tire marks, as well as a video taken the day after, if someone can host that.

279 Posts
sponsored1 said:
Hey, that was me.
I knew it was. LOL
I once spun an MK2 at its top speed (125mph).
It is the one in my sig...never spun a bike though hehe

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
It is good that everyone is ok. Are your friends going to pay for the damage?

Most people would push the clutch in instead of just sliding for 1/4 mile...

·
JZA70 or go home!!
2,495 Posts
looks like once they saw the fire from under, they panic and braked hard!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
chevyeater-on-sf said:
It is good that everyone is ok. Are your friends going to pay for the damage?

Most people would push the clutch in instead of just sliding for 1/4 mile...

How about the clutch was in. It doesnt seem to do anything when you are on a 90 degree angle from the road and sliding completely sideways.... Apparantly it takes a quarter mile for a car to stop sliding from 170mph.....

·
ma70-7m=1JZ
2,517 Posts
Wow thats crazy, I am glad everone is OK. This is why everyone should carry a fire extinguisher in thier cars!!

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
well if a rod pined the crankshaft to the block...the crankshaft would seize and lock the rear tires...im suprised the car didnt go into the forest...glad every1 is ok

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
sponsored1 said:
How about the clutch was in. It doesnt seem to do anything when you are on a 90 degree angle from the road and sliding completely sideways.... Apparantly it takes a quarter mile for a car to stop sliding from 170mph.....
Those skid marks look awful straight but, I'm not in an argumentative mood so, ok. Like I said, glad everyone is ok. :hug:

M

·
0 Posts
chevyeater-on-sf said:
Those skid marks look awful straight but, I'm not in an argumentative mood so, ok. Like I said, glad everyone is ok. :hug:

That last picture sure looks like it got harry at the end.

Jeff

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
remember this was @ over 6k rpms in 5th gear, with the hammer down. please note the distance of the two tire marks in the one picture, and see how they got closer togethor, indicating that they car was actually rotating. I went back and took video of the whole skid mark series if someone can host it

·
Can't wait for Spring!
2,364 Posts
wow... nice work... :bigthumb:

glad everyone is ok

·
1991 1JZ
1,157 Posts
seems like the motor seized since the tires locked with the car in gear....glad everyones ok....

now its time to be pissed off.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you notice in the last picture, the skid marks cross over themselves. This was when the front of the car actually started facing down the road. The tires locked up so fast it threw us imediatly toward the guardrail. I slammed the clutch in and was able to steer away from the rail, the car was going so fast it completely spun about 120 degrees, sending us down the road sliding facing almost backwards. Then towards the end when it slowed i steered out of it, bringing the front of the car facing more towards the direction the road was going in...

1 - 20 of 126 Posts