Supra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
80 Posts
chevyeater-on-sf said:
It is good that everyone is ok. Are your friends going to pay for the damage?

Most people would push the clutch in instead of just sliding for 1/4 mile...

How about the clutch was in. It doesnt seem to do anything when you are on a 90 degree angle from the road and sliding completely sideways.... Apparantly it takes a quarter mile for a car to stop sliding from 170mph.....

· Registered
80 Posts
If you notice in the last picture, the skid marks cross over themselves. This was when the front of the car actually started facing down the road. The tires locked up so fast it threw us imediatly toward the guardrail. I slammed the clutch in and was able to steer away from the rail, the car was going so fast it completely spun about 120 degrees, sending us down the road sliding facing almost backwards. Then towards the end when it slowed i steered out of it, bringing the front of the car facing more towards the direction the road was going in...

· Registered
80 Posts
toyota_supra_1988 said:
damn son. 170mph, i would not dare take a corner at that speed. Well, there lucky the car didnt flip and start rolling, because if it did, i dont think they would be here right now. That sucks about the motor.

The motor is the easy part to fix. But honestly if the motor hadn't stopped so suddenly. The car would have taken that turn at much much faster then 170 with no problem at all.

· Registered
80 Posts
slither said:
First off, congrats on hitting 170 right before a curve, smart move. Second, if the back tires were locked up, how did you push it off the road? Seems to me that the fire caused the driver to panic and he locked the brakes up.
Either way, he should pay to fix it all.
One more thing, why would you lend out a high powered car to start with? Its all my buddies can do to get me to loan them my daily beater(93 festiva)

First off, the curve isn't that bad. Second off, the back end of the car immediatly swung towards the left. Thats what caused it to go to the right. If the tires were locked up i wouldn't have been able to steer the car back towards the middle of the road.

· Registered
80 Posts
Turkish said:
I didn't feel like reading the whole thread so this may have already been said. If your engine has a hole in the block thats not it that you are showing in the 2nd picture to me that just looks like the exhaust manifold and those holes are suppose to be there. Or am I mistaken I can't tell for sure cuz it is such a closeup

It's just a crappy picture. The hold is underneath the manifold. There are actually holes on both sides of the block in the same location.

· Registered
80 Posts
QWIKSTRIKE said:
I hope they are paying for this. F/N ass holes were very irresponsible to drive someone elses car like that!

Tom actually prefers i drive his car like that. Plus hes in my will anyway. He would have gotten another supra, a mustang, and a tv. And my dad would have got to cash in on his life insurance policy on me. And of course im gonna fix the fucking thing. I have other motors sitting around.

· Registered
80 Posts
Ok well i can tell you it was somewhere between 160 and 170mph when the rod broke. You can make calculations all you want but there are many many more factors you would have to take into account. If you read the whole thread you would realize toms original description was wrong. The car never totally spun. The initial skid marks are from the rear tires when they kicked to the left. Where they turn into 4 is when the car was completly sideways. It stayed this way until the very end of the skid when i turned the car towards the original direction.

· Registered
80 Posts
KLH2004a said:
While you are posting sponsored1, could you shed some light on the possibility I suggested? Any chance that you were still moving after the skid was over?

We were still moving. Although it was slowly. If you look real closely at the marks at the end, you can see they do a real shirt curve to the right. This is when i got the car facing the correct direction down the road. I'm not sure how fast we were moving at the end because i instantly put on the brakes and got out to put the fire out. I would assume it was only 5-10mph though.

· Registered
80 Posts
Also, obviously the car went off the side of the road with at least the back end. The side of the road is a totally different surface then the road itself. Plus i went over the rumble strip as well.

· Registered
80 Posts
Also, your program can not take into account melting tires, the compound of the tires, the amount of air in the tires, tire size, aspect ratio. All of which will affect the distance. The program is for a normal car, traveling at a normal speed, locking the brakes. This car is nothing like a normal car at all. Completly stripped, full suspension, different wheels, tires, tire compounds. So many different things that could change everthing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.