Supra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the death whine sounds a little bit like a flute. Started on me today after a hard highway pull. It's not as loud as the one at MKIV.com, but definitely there.

I'm not sure when I can get an aftermarket tubo installed. If I take it easy and don't drive it too hard, think I can get a few thousand more miles out of it? Anybody driven a Supra for thousands of miles AFTER hearing the death whine?

I have ETTC on my car. Am I correct in thinking I should drive in parallel mode full time now?

For those who are curious, I have been BPU for 23,000 miles, I have 77,000 miles on my car, I always use Sunoco 94 octane, and I keep the manual boost controller at about 1.3 bar. I'm also good at changing the oil (Mobil 1), have new spark plugs, and did all the 60,000 mile maint. I've done autocross and a driver ed event but never been to the drag strip. I drive the car fast and do a lot of highway pulls. I thought I was pretty good at letting the turbos cool.

Funny thing is I'm not all that depressed....I have an excuse to go single now. :bigthumb:

·
EchoDeDupra
4,118 Posts
ToeJamme said:
Funny thing is I'm not all that depressed....I have an excuse to go single now. :bigthumb:
Good reason ;) You could always just swap in a used set of stock twins if you want to make it a few thousand more miles before going single.

In my case... I have a t-88 34d sitting here that I've had for at least a year... when my twins blow... I'm hoping that I will have enough saved + enough supporting mods to put that on.

Good luck man :) Let us know what you decide...

also, putting your own turbo kit on isn't impossible... just fwiw

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
If you can't afford to go single at this point, you could always pick up a used pair of twins. They sell for like 3-400 bucks. SP always has a bunch of them for example. Lots of work to remove and replace though.

·
Supra TT Senior
1,886 Posts
For the amount of work replacing the twins would take, I'd just stick with a small single. A budget kit should hold you over.

·
SF's Cleanest
7,177 Posts
You can pick up stock twins pretty cheap around here, just keep your eyes peeled.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts