Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
//gwailo-
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need some advice on possible turbo damage..

I need some advice. I might need to replace my turbo (no. 1) and I figured if I have to replace it I would use it as an excuse to go single. The only problem is I have no Idea which kit to go for or even what all is out there. Maybe if I tell you all my goals and financial state you could help me out and guide me in the right direction.

First off, I was not expecting this to happen nor was I planning on going single anytime soon due to lack of funds and knowledge on the subject.

Since it is an enevitablity now, Here is what i have planned from the beginning. I want all around power. I'm not extremely concerned about going 200mph or having a dyno-queen 700-1000hp supra. I want a fun to drive quick spooling street turbo with power whenever I step on the gas.

Also, I don't want to have to upgrade my fuel right away because I don't have the extra 2-3 large to throw in there.

Right now I have the basic upgrades (not quite BPU) intake, exhaust, dp. I was planning on finishing BPU @ torque freaks (I live in the NW) with an e-01 and a 3 row FM.

I guess what I'm asking is what is the best way to get what I want for minimal cost without skimping on quality? Does anyone have experience with the more inexpensive kits like the DE kits or similar?

I have $6,500 to my name right now and I was not planning on spending all of it on upgrades but now I just want it to go to good use.

Please any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

(a very sad)
//gwail:(-

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
Why not install a new set of stock twins?

$500 for the twins... and call Cascade Autosport in North Bend or Sean at Torquefreaks in Portland for an installation quote (since I don't think you're going to want to do the install yourself).

I bet you'd be out the door for $500 and you'd be ok.

·
ABM
497 Posts
you cant go wrong with a Boostlogic or SP single kit. both are renoun high quality kits at a great price. i definately wont be settling for anything other that one of the two. BL is now offering a stage 1 kit for under $3600 and you can get it with a 61mm turbo without having to upp the fuel system. good luck with your project...

-JT

·
//gwailo-
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
$500 for the twins
Is that new or used? I have a freak problem with buying used stuff. Its a weakness of mine and I know if the parts are or get screwed it is my fault.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention. My dream (but not neccessarily going to happen) is to eventually (way in the future here) make it a show car after it has seen it's driving days. So I don't really want a kit that looks like a mess under the hood. I know beggers can't be choosers but if I can avoid this I would.

more suggestions please! What turbo to go with the kit?

//gwailo-

·
Slow in NoVa
194 Posts
That's why I went single. No way I was going to take all that crap out and not gain some power (notwithstanding the fact I would have regained the power of the blown twin :)). An SP budget kit can have you single $2500 out of the box. another $300 if they integrate the bov...

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
Used. You're going to pay out the ass for new stock twins.

If I were you I'd go with used twins. Not a good idea to totally deplete your savings.... ?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Get a BL kit with a smallish turbo, like a 58 or 61...it doesn't skimp on quality, will cost $3600 and looks great under the hood as well. You won't need to upgrade the fuel with these turbos either, as long as you keep the boost reasonably low. Then, when you choose to, you can buy a fuel system, swap turbos and you'll have a much more powerful car. Of course, you'll need a boost controller, PHR MAP ECU (or something similar), BOV and FMIC.

·
Black is Faster!
425 Posts
One thing you want to consider, or not forget, is w/ a single, you'll eventually tap out the stock auto tranny's limits, or at least much sooner than w/ the stock twins.

·
hardtopper
2,409 Posts
I too went with the Induction kit. Jeff's very helpful! Mine is on order with kale's I believe. I am experiancing the Death Whine too:( . I wanted to go single at some point but not yet! Oh well sh!t happens!

·
//gwailo-
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
kale said:
www.inductionmotorsports.com a newer option, i'll have my kit in hopefully within the next few weeks at TF. swing by if you want to take a peek :)
Hey man thanks for the info. Why is a cast manifold supposedly prefferd? DE and Induction say cast is better but then tube headers are better on other sites. Is it the size of the turbo that mkaes the difference? Is a cast manifold just "sufficient" for smaller turbos to save money or is it ultimately better to have tubular headers for any app.?

Keep me posted kale. thanks.

//gwailo-

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
tubular headers are better based on "Maximum Boost", a book by Corky Bell. cast headers should be adequate for lower power goals (~500rwhp?).

·
//gwailo-
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
quick said:
tubular headers are better based on "Maximum Boost", a book by Corky Bell. cast headers should be adequate for lower power goals (~500rwhp?).
Is adequate good or just good enough?

//gwailo-

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
"sufficient in quality or quantity to meet a need"

...it all depends on your power goals and wherewithal. For what you describe and what I know IMO cast is fine.

·
ABM
497 Posts
i read somewhere that the IM cast manifold was proven to hit 600-650+ rwhp, on a PT67 i believe. their design is simple but effective because it will not leak/crack, and is said to conduct heat more efficiently...proving more reliable and lasting longer. the tubular manifolds like that of what BL sells are good for medium to higher hp applications. both are quality made kits...but in the long run if your looking to upgrade for more power, the BL kit is the way to go. i believe the IM cast manifold was made to cater to those that wanted more power in a single, but not expecting over 600 at the wheels. the IM kit is more of a quality made budget-type kit for those who blow thier stock twins. you can still run the factory tranny and fuel system to a certain extent so i think the Induction kit is what your looking for.

·
Registered
523 Posts
death whine=good excuse for single. if you can't afford that now, i would suggest getting some used stockers and call [email protected] then save up for the single.

·
//gwailo-
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
^ I am already been talking to sean for about the past week or so talking about finishing BPU. He said he was in JP right now and would contact me again when he got back. I'll ask him for his input then.

Also: Kandy- isn't sterling siver soft? (BL kit - unless I'm reading it wrong) How does that kit stand up to the test of time. how durable? (if you know - or if anyone knows) Thanks!

//gwailo-

·
900 BHP Club :)
4,934 Posts
quick said:
Sterling Silver? :lol: Don't you mean Stainless Steel?

There are different grades. Not soft.
haha, that's classic :)

well I've heard the "death whine" and Gwailo's car did not sound like that. It sounded like a supercharger. And it only did it in drive or neutral, not in park. what's up with that?

·
//gwailo-
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Taken from BL website about the turbo kit:

"L 3” Performance Coating Sterling Silver Downpipe
BL 3” Performance Coating Sterling Silver Midpipe
BL 4” Performance Coating Sterling Silver Intake Pipe
BL Performance Coating Sterling Silver IC Pipe"

Why are you laughing?

//gwailo-

1 - 20 of 26 Posts