Supra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for some info on what you used to debadge the rear toyota and supra badging. looking to take mine off and see if i like it without.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I use fishing line..just slide the line between the badge and car and gently pull/slide it across ..the line should go through the adhesive and it should pop off... do the same way on the SUPRA badge...

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
did that.. but I guess the previous owners put like gorilla glue on the back of the badges to keep them in place so it looks kind of tacky.. what should i use to get adhesive off .. paint thinner?

·
Registered
323 Posts
did that.. but I guess the previous owners put like gorilla glue on the back of the badges to keep them in place so it looks kind of tacky.. what should i use to get adhesive off .. paint thinner?
Anything with acetone in it, even soapy water and a soft sponge can do it just takes more time. Just don't polish with a wheel in that area after soaking it with acetone related products it will definitely hurt the paint.

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
I'd be very careful using anything like lacquer thinner or acetone for longer than 10 seconds,try to avoid scurbbing the paint.It's very easy to gouge if it has been exposed to thinner or acetone.It will get back to norm after 15-20 minutes.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Goof off! That stuff works wonders. You can buy it at home depot. Comes in a yellow can, either liquid or aerosol. I used it a lot in my STI days, I debadged my car as well as like 10 friends cars with the stuff. Heat it up with a heatgun/hair dryer and use the fishing line/dental floss. Then rub the goof off on with a microfiber cloth. It will get off ANYTHING you dont want there, and will not harm the paint in any way shape or form.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I took the letter T off of the toyota and it looked really bad underneath. Now i was scared to remove the glue incase it looked bad cause i cant afford to get it painted again and i didnt want to glue them all back on. Did your guys come up pretty clean or could you still see the letters faintly

·
Registered
222 Posts
As far as removing the word TOYOTA and Supra script goes, it's easy enough to remove, and so is the glue underneath it. The real problem is that after nearly twenty years, it has probably affected the color of the paint. My car is white, and while underneath it was smooth once I removed the badge and glue, I could still clearly see the Supra script in yellow.

What I ended up doing was welding up the Toyota symbol, wiper and nosel holes, and just resprayed the whole hatch. I cleaned up all the rust along the thinnest part of the hatch near the glass while I had it off the car too. It's really the only way to get it perfect.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.