Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
RoastBeefCurtain Commando
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well you can see my mods below. I am running 14-15psi daily for the most part.
Just curious if I will really gain and have it be beneficial at this point to replace the IC and do hard pipes.
I was looking at getting the XO2 24x12x3 IC from Ebay.
Just dont wanna go thru all this effort for nothing if I wont really gain.

I didnt notice my IC get too heatsoaked yet, I touched it after boosting the hell out of it for a little and was still cool. But it was like 50's last night. Not to say when its 90+ it wont soak.

Whats everyones opinions on worth of it at this point in time

·
Registered
601 Posts
Your mod list didn't showup. However with running 15psi I would have to say its time for the upgrade. From my expirence I notced a big diffrence when I just cleaned out my stock IC & repaired some bent fins. That was back in the day when I was running 10-12psi. Once I moved up the chain & started to run 14-15psi daily I was encouraged by some knowledgeble people that an upgraded IC was a must. They pointed out findings that the stock IC lost its effenciy at 12+psi on the stock CT & at 9-10psi on stock CT upgrade. That was about 4yrs ago. Since then I lost the data that proved this to me however 2 of these gentelman are still on the forums. I'm sure they will share there thoughts.

·
Registered
520 Posts
probably a good idea, don't think the stock IC will do a whole lot of good at 15 psi. not sure about that IC it should be better than stock. noticed a considerable difference after i upgraded over the stock set up, gained a few psi. atleast do the pipes, the stock set up is not so good.

·
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The IC i am reffering to is basically the Megan Racing one.

You gained a few psi from the upgrade too?
I guess it couldnt hurt. I deff wanna do the new hard pipes. BUt i dont see the point of doing them on the stock IC.
Just wanted to make sure the money was well spent.

Kinda looking for the next logical upgrade step.

Mods are below.
91 Supra Turbo Targa
-Lex AFM
-HKS 3inch DP and 3inch Mandel Exhaust
-HKS MHG
-K&N FPIK
-SS 3inch Elbow
-Greddy Gauges and Lotec pod
-Turbo XS Dual Stage MBC
-Blitz DD Bov
-PLX M300 Wideband and display

·
2,279 Posts
I would say that intercooler hard pipe would be the next step. That's where almost all of our pressure loss occures. You'll pick up 2-3 psi from putting hard pipes on.

If you can afford both, do it.

·
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nocheez said:
no 550cc injectors?
Jesus, please dont start on that one. NO i dont have them , nor do I need them at this point.

as far as affording , i wont be going with prefabbed ones. People are nuts to spend that money. Ill make my own for under $100. :bigthumb:
But yea, i would do them both at one shot to make it worth wild.
i might just do 2.5 inch charge pipeing. 3inch is a little much IMO

·
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will prob do that soon. Next on the list is SAFC and maybe a fuel pump. But my fueling is golden right now. I kinda dont wanna touch it. lol

Who would you reccomend to do the work to the injectors

·
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just ordered the XO2, As soon as it gets here Ill start to fab up some piping and see how it all works out.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
520 Posts
itr206 said:
Just ordered the XO2, As soon as it gets here Ill start to fab up some piping and see how it all works out.

Thanks for the help

good choice, hardpipes and IC will defineatly be a noticeable difference

·
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks. Plus nothing beats the nice smile of a new IC in the front.

Toss up , Nice look and better air flow all cut out. Or leave the grills in and stay sleeperish?

Ill prob end up cutting the front end up. Who am I kidding. lol

·
"DANNY TANNER!!!"
1,847 Posts
DO IT!!!! if you look at my mods, i added the flex-a-lites, the 2.5" hardpipes and the intercooler all at once. Before adding those i was boosting to 7 PSI. Now i can hit 14 PSI in 4th gear WITHOUT a boost controller. The gains were substantial. I didn't ADD any power, i pretty much freed up the power that was getting lost.

I gaurantee you'll be very happy with a nice effiecient setup. But do them both, hardpipes and intercooler at the same time.

·
1JZ BLING!
2,747 Posts
yes an IC upgrade is always a good thing.

throw that stock 7m in the trash...

However, you went a bit large. I know it was because of price, but you will suffer just a hint of lag and more difficulty in running the piping.

In the end you will be happy.

·
got boost???
1,362 Posts
hye post pics of your IC once u get it in...i just purhcased one recently and is on its wya for install.....i have about the same mods as you rite now but alsrady have hardpipes, i just need to fab up some new lower ones to hook ithe new IC up....

·
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i know its a little big for now. but I will prob grow into it sooner then you think. lol
A little lag wont be too bad. I can adjust accordingly.

Still the thing that bothers me is the boost tapering off at top end. If I could hold 14-15psi strong all the way thru i cant even imagine how this thing would be.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts