Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question..ive heard a lot of rumors tried to research it..looked at other cars..feel like the supra is unattainable for me...for someone whos 23 years old and lives in an apt and has no kids and isnt tied down and makes around 42-49k(hittin the 49k mark prolly by the time im around 25) whats the best way to attain a fairly stock TT supra?

Ive heard you cannot finance a car 10 years or older and ive been laughed at for even wanting to spend money on a car that old..i like supras a lot my friend has one..i watch them online but feel like one is unattainable idk if im just impatient and need to save after i sell my evo and just buy one with straight cash or are there loaners out there that do auto loans for older cars?

Im currently looking at a 06-07 C6 vette..i can get loans on those and i like those but after i sell the car i really wanna take my time and either get a supra or a vette..

Like I said ive looked around but im growing frusterated cuz I cant tell whats bs and whats not

are all you guys rich or somethin? lol

thanks for taking the time to read and providing any advice guys..ill keep researchin for now i guess

·
stop playin wit mah name
1,934 Posts
Credit unions are probably your best bet for financing a Supra, and no we are not all "rich" guys. As for finding a nice Supra, check anywhere and everywhere. The forsale section here, autotrader, supratrader, speedforsale, etc.

Another thing you should consider is Supras are huge money pits, and things are going to break for the 10+ year old car. The parts are rare, expensive, and some are already discontinued. If you're looking for a car that you can just forget about and drive, then Supras are probably not your best choice. Goodluck!

·
Registered
340 Posts
I purchased a supra about a month ago, as long as you have good credit my credit union gives NADA plus up to 25% for a car's value, but I'm talking 750+. Before they ran my credit they said they could do the normal loan and a personal line of cerdit for the rest.

There are ways as long as you are willing for higher payments, it was easier for me because I only got a 3 year loan.

Cheers

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well..I have excellent credit I am in the 700's to 750 range. Theres a bank in corning called corning credit union so ill just check there :)

I gave up shopping qtip cuz I kept hearing all this crap and I dont have 25-35k in cash but I can make the payments. I guess ill keep shopping for a nice one once I sell my evo since financing is avilable.

280 Posts
Patience is what you need.

I looked for maybe a year and got impatient and pulled the trigger on a really low mileage 5 spd N/A supra. But I kept looking for a TT and finally obtained one 2 years later and sold the N/A.

It's just going to take time for the right supra to become available on sale, but in the meantime you can be saving the cash for a bigger down payment.

Surprised people laughed at your for wanting to get a supra, the supra is timeless and looks better than a lot of modern cars today. So let them laugh at you in your rear view mirror as you proceed to pwn them.

We are not all rich, it just takes time so be patient and don't give up. I checked the classifieds everyday for nearly 3 years to find a supra locally, I'm sure others have waited longer.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Credit Union my friend is the only way you will get financed. Forget places like BOA, Chase, etc... I owned a 06 Vette and trust me don't waste your money they are garbage. Coming from an EVO you need a boosted car to keep your attention. I am 27 and I got financed for a 94 Supra but I also put about 12 grand down to get it. If I were you I would be looking more at 03-04 Cobras. If you buy a stock Supra I hope you realize how much money it costs to mod these cars.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I felt the same way and figured it would be impossible, no way they'd lend me the money for 15 year old car ect. Only thing I can say is go and check it out. Running your credit will barely touch your score and then you'll know and you can rest easy knowing your answer.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know its expensive to mod Supras..evos arent cheap i spent damn near 20 grand since last summer..i bought a stock evo and now its a 10 second car a summer later.

The next car I purchase I wanna keep and enjoy till it falls apart or I die whichever comes first. I plan on taking my time. Im just not happy with my evo i dont get excited to drive it anymore i just hate being told its too expensive to do. im not lookin to get a car and mod it as fast as my evo anymroe i wanna take my time with it and get something i enjoy driving.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Well a Supra can be a good DD but to me it would not be the best choice at your age. I don't want to sound like a old man but you really should save up and get a house or something. Spending 20 Grand on an EVO and then selling it is nuts.. But I am 27 with a 94 Single upgraded Supra as a toy, 04 SVT Lightning as a DD and a E46 M3 as another toy so I guess I am not the best example:)

·
Glad to be back
2,179 Posts
I was in the same boat, I'm 25. I called my credit union after I found a clean 1994 Supra TT 6-spd car. They said they'd give me 11k. That wasn't going to cut it. I'm also a memeber of USAA, gave them a call and they agreed to loan me 20k no problem in a matter of 3 mintues.

Just wait man things will fall in place. I'd also keep looking for someone that will loan for you the amount you need. I also heard that the pentagon credit union is outstanding. You just have to pay a small fee to become a memeber.

·
Wheel Fitment Guru
4,079 Posts
Keep the Evo and buy a house instead. Your going to buy a supra and park it downstairs with all of the other morons? I don't think so. Your still young and you don't want to be tied down to a car. Buy a townhouse with a garage that way your car is always out of sight. After you get a bit more established then look for a clean supra. Besides $49000 per year is fuck all when you own a car like the supra. Once the mod bug hits you, you will be broke in no time. Just my $0.02.

R.K.

·
Glad to be back
2,179 Posts
Besides $49000 per year is fuck all when you own a car like the supra.
Are you serious? So you to own a supra your should make 50k+ a year? No. I currently make less than 50k a year, live by myself no mommy and daddy supporting me, and I don't have a problem modding my supra and keeping up with maintenance.

·
The Old Breed
328 Posts
When I first bought my supra I was a Freshman at Norther Illinois University working full time for 7.25 an hour paying my own apt. rent and bills. Kept the Supra in my apt garage and my beater outside. Did that job for 4 years through college. No mom and pop help here either. It can be done easily in your situation making what you make.

·
Wheel Fitment Guru
4,079 Posts
Are you serious? So you to own a supra your should make 50k+ a year? No. I currently make less than 50k a year, live by myself no mommy and daddy supporting me, and I don't have a problem modding my supra and keeping up with maintenance.
When I first bought my supra I was a Freshman at Norther Illinois University working full time for 7.25 an hour paying my own apt. rent and bills. Kept the Supra in my apt garage and my beater outside. Did that job for 4 years through college. No mom and pop help here either. It can be done easily in your situation making what you make.
Fuck. I have to move down to the states then because apparently you can live great and have all of your toys for between $7.50/hr and under $50000 per year.

Awesome.

R.K.

·
Glad to be back
2,179 Posts
Fuck. I have to move down to the states then because apparently you can live great and have all of your toys for between $7.50/hr and under $50000 per year.

Awesome.

R.K.
Cananda?

·
Wheel Fitment Guru
4,079 Posts
You betcha. Land of the free and over worked and over taxed. Shit I was just at the store today and 3.78 L (1 Gallon) of orange juice was $8.00 with tax. Sorry I'm just a little jealous thats all. Don't mind me.

R.K.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well..I live in an apt..I have no desire to own a house right now..I want to live a little but also do some things responsible..yes the mod bug hit me bad with my evo but also because deep down i wasnt happy with it and i thought adding a crap ton more power would suffice but lesson learned..i have a 09 corolla for a DD..i am looking into getting a nice TT 6spd that i can keep till it either just falls apart or i fall apart lol..that would be cool to me

So the issue isnt really that i need a supra for a DD i have been wanting one for awhile and i realized i listened to the wrong ppl and and settled and try to be happy and i ended up wasting money..

i think i am going to focus on selling the evo and savin up and findin a nice clean one. i will have it modded but at a slower pace i have no desire to try and mod the supra as fast as i did my evo.

the reason i posted this was because i was frusterated and wanted to hear from supra owners how they do it..because everyone around here that doesnt have one thinks you have to be a millionaire to own one.

·
Took 4 years, got it
836 Posts
I sold my Evo at 23 and bought a supra and I also live on my own in an apt. I got a loan for mine but I put 50% down in cash. Financed for 5 years still too. My car was pretty much stock (most likely returned to stock). I sold my Evo for like $13k more than I owed on it too so having some money in the bank for a downpayment was awsome

Credit unions are you best bet some will finance you

·
Registered
340 Posts
I wouldn't want a Supra if I lived in a aparment unless its one of those ones with attached/detached garages.

Lots of jelous mofos.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Forgot to mention my dad built a spare garage..one side is for his tractor and one is for my evo..so all winter i garage the car and dust it once in awhile and clean it touch it up and at night time i park it and get the corolla back out if im going out somewhere where i dont wanna take it..no im not spoiled still but there are things like that that they do for me because they know how much i love cars. so i do have storage

i also have a 4runner and a 18ft 10,000lb capacity trailer in case i ever need to haul it somehwere for whatever reason.

im thinking its time to make the switch and i dont think ill regret it. thanks for all your support and oppinions :) i think i finally have a set goal now. im also safe and responsible so i wouldnt do somethign dumb and wreck it unless an a hole smashed into me or something. it would be in good hands :)

1 - 20 of 61 Posts