Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would decrease fuel consumption the most?

-1 piece aluminum driveshaft

-CF hood

-light weight rims

-SAFCII+wideband

I was kind of thinking the driveshaft might improve mpg more because it's directly linked to the engine and would improve the efficiency of the 7m.

Then again the SAFCII + wideband would be more useful overall. Allowing me to control the fuel feed directly.

What do you guys think. I only have about $600 to dump into the supra.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
92SupraMan said:
Getting a hybrid :bigok:

But really I think fuel control and WB are your best bet.

Haha... hybrids are ok. I still think my Toyota Starlet is better on gas though. lol. 1700 lbs and 58 hp! It's pretty close to motorcycle MPG territory, minus the speed. haha.

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
LordLo said:
Haha... hybrids are ok. I still think my Toyota Starlet is better on gas though. lol. 1700 lbs and 58 hp! It's pretty close to motorcycle MPG territory, minus the speed. haha.

scarey how they look very similar

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
LordLo said:

i guess no drifting with that parking brake.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
twinturbozs said:
i guess no drifting with that parking brake.
haha.. no I was changing differential fluid. Solid rear axle man. :rofl:

·
Oldie but a Goodie
1,465 Posts
Honestly, of the things you have on the list the hood would give you the most consistent incraese in MPG, but it would be very very miniscule. The driveshaft COULD improve your gas mileage, but that would be very dependent on your driving style. Lightening anything in the rotating assembly of your driveline will make the engine easier to rev (not work as hard) but at the same time it will drop revs quicker too. So if you don't have a steady pedal foot, you may find yourself increasing and decreasing speed more often which, in the long run, will = more fuel consumption. I suppose the same goes for the lighter wheels.

The SAFC/wideband combo will most likely result in greater fuel consumption also, unless for some odd reason you stay on stock boost and just tune the curve prior to and entering boost. If you actually start to go higher into boost though, you'll eventually have to start adding fuel.

Bottom line.. Unless you're a very efficiency conscious driver and an excelent tuner... you aren't going to get any better gas mileage with those mods, except for that verrrrrrrrrrrrrrry slim increase by reducing overall vehicle weight with that hood.

Wow... that seems like a really lame post, but I hope it helps.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
CF hood will net you 0 MPG gains. Best MPG gain is SAFC + wideband leaning stuff out, but even that will take a while to pay for itself.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chrisco said:
Honestly, of the things you have on the list the hood would give you the most consistent incraese in MPG, but it would be very very miniscule. The driveshaft COULD improve your gas mileage, but that would be very dependent on your driving style. Lightening anything in the rotating assembly of your driveline will make the engine easier to rev (not work as hard) but at the same time it will drop revs quicker too. So if you don't have a steady pedal foot, you may find yourself increasing and decreasing speed more often which, in the long run, will = more fuel consumption. I suppose the same goes for the lighter wheels.

The SAFC/wideband combo will most likely result in greater fuel consumption also, unless for some odd reason you stay on stock boost and just tune the curve prior to and entering boost. If you actually start to go higher into boost though, you'll eventually have to start adding fuel.

Bottom line.. Unless you're a very efficiency conscious driver and an excelent tuner... you aren't going to get any better gas mileage with those mods, except for that verrrrrrrrrrrrrrry slim increase by reducing overall vehicle weight with that hood.

Wow... that seems like a really lame post, but I hope it helps.
I see what your saying. More mods means you will want to stomp on it more. true. But rpm for rpm, a lightened tuned car will get better fuel economy and possibly burn more cleanly. I guess I will go with the SAFC2 and WB.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thermactor said:
CF hood will net you 0 MPG gains. Best MPG gain is SAFC + wideband leaning stuff out, but even that will take a while to pay for itself.
At $3.09 for regular unleaded, any improvement is worth it. :)

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
Thermactor said:

huh?

last i checked the stock TCCS will adjust anything below wot to what it likes. You could ATTEMPT at running lean but the TCCS will adjust and compensate and bring it back to stioch (where it is programmed to run).

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,985 Posts
figgie said:
huh?

last i checked the stock TCCS will adjust anything below wot to what it likes. You could ATTEMPT at running lean but the TCCS will adjust and compensate and bring it back to stioch (where it is programmed to run).
:werdlol:
TCCS has been discussed over & over, but so few get it.

Ho hum, happy Friday anyway.
:)

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
yesss!!

damn parts are slow to trickle in damn it!!

·
LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,068 Posts
The TCCS wis going to control everything. It's going to run 14.7 to 1 air/fuel ratios. No way around that.. with the stock ECU that is. You can make the motor more efficient which would raise mpg. Switch to a HUGE air filter, huge exhaust, and a header. You could also try playing with timing. Advancing it should give you more power without sacrifcing any mpg.

Running a coolant mixture of 25% coolant and 75% distilled water gave Lance Wolrab an increase altho I don't recall how much.

The biggest thing you can do is to buy an AEM and lean it out under cruise. Some of those guys are seeing 29-30mpg in their cars.

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
Thermactor said:
can't you program a piggyback to send the TCCS a falsely rich signal?

has to be REALLY REALLY REALLY RICH. And even then the TCCS will attempt to fix it. chasing tail. Trust me :)

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,985 Posts
Thermactor said:
can't you program a piggyback to send the TCCS a falsely rich signal?
Absolutely.
But then TCCS tries its damnedest to fix it, while long-term fuel trims [aka learned value] are being adversely effected.

Take care.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I think the drivers seat is around 80lbs. Can't remeber what the passenger one was. Weight hurts more than just MPG.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts