Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this past weekend my friend and I decided to trailer our snowmobiles and do a road trip 8 hours southwest of here, to a city we used to live in. We saw old friends, visited old restaurants, even got to go for a flight in one of the college training airplanes we learned to fly on years ago. Great time.

Anyways, while we were out on our sleds on Sunday afternoon, I witnessed an insane event. It was 2pm and I was on my ski-doo, waiting to cross a country road, when I see a small doe deer come wandering out of the bush on the other side of the road. She came walking straight towards me, and I thought, wow, strange to see this time of day. I watched her skip over the snowbank onto the road and begin walking towards my side. All of a sudden, out of nowhere this silver Toyota Matrix came speeding along and collided with the deer right in front of my eyes, like 20 feet away. I could literally hear the bones breaking and the metal crumpling.

The deer went flying up into the air and hit the pavement hard. The car stopped and 2 people came out shaking. I can't really blame them, but I find it hard to understand how they didn't see the deer. Anyways, the car wasn't totaled, just needed a new hood and grill. The deer was small, but in really bad shape and still alive. I ALWAYS carry a rifle with me on road trips on northern highways but this one time I didn't. I wished I had my new .30-06 I just got, just to put the poor thing out of its suffering. She was bleeding from the mouth and trying to stand up on broken legs and hips. It was sickening to watch. Eventually the police came and dealt with things, but I'm sure it took them a while.

Anyone ever hit a large animal or had something similar happen?

Cliffs: I watched a car hit a small deer at 60mph and couldn't do a thing to put it out of its misery.

·
M*A*L*E M*O*D*E*L
318 Posts
but I find it hard to understand how they didn't see the deer.
The majority of drivers are idiots and totally oblivious to their surroundings.

Seeing animals suffer really bothers me, but for your sake, the deer was probably in complete shock and not aware of what had happened. So many animal fatalities would be avoided if drivers concentrated or were capable of defensive driving.

·
They giggle
1,935 Posts
That's horrible, man. Sucks you had to watch that and you couldn't end the deer's misery...even though it was probably in shock and numbed from the impact so it wasn't feeling anything and it was just its body's "autopilot" working. Still, it would've broken my heart and totally ruin my day or next few days. :(

·
Registered
84 Posts
A couple years ago i saw a huge buck get hit by a semi (opposite side of the road as i was) Semi was going about 70 or higher the deer basically exploded. The saddest one was a deer had gotten hit in its rear and broke both legs and it was dragging its self around with its front legs, and had a little doe following it around, I called the animal shelter and police, they were able to catch the baby doe (it was released to a animal sanctuary) mother was of course put down on site.

Ironically, I hunt all types of animals but i really don't like to see them suffer.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nah I don't carry my gun on the sled, just in the vehicle. I ride a Ski Doo Formula 583 short track so there's no room for anything but myself.

I wish this one had been more gruesome, like a semi truck or something just instantly flipping the deer's life-switch off. I don't mind death or blood or guts, I just don't like the suffering. Probably true about the shock numbing the pain for a bit, I didn't even think much about that, so it's some consolidation.

·
Banned
2,187 Posts
Damm:(... I saw some pitbull mix get hit on the hips by a fucking dumbass who didnt even brake. I was kinda high at the moment so i saw it all in slow motion, was prety sad:(.. I pulled over and went to it and was too bleeding out of its mouth crying. The damm fucker was doing atleast 50mph. He pulled over 40ft ahead and just looked at his fucken bumper not caring about the dog. It is prety sad actually witnessing these type of things.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Damm:(... I saw some pitbull mix get hit on the hips by a fucking dumbass who didnt even brake. I was kinda high at the moment so i saw it all in slow motion, was prety sad:(.. I pulled over and went to it and was too bleeding out of its mouth crying. The damm fucker was doing atleast 50mph. He pulled over 40ft ahead and just looked at his fucken bumper not caring about the dog. It is prety sad actually witnessing these type of things.
Was the pitbull chasing you and your horse?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Back in 1996 I was driving my snowplow (94 dodge 1 ton with a boss V on it) and it was a nice evening driving home and the roads where good so I was close to top speed (all of about 80mph with the diesel and towing pkg) cruising down the highway when a pretty big whitetail doe jump the guard rail and met the plow. About 15 cart wheels later it came to a stop, missing both the legs on the side that hit the plow, the poor thing could not move, but it was alive and all I had was my knife so I slit its throat. Talk about a fucking mess, there was blood and hair everywhere on my truck. Thankfully I did have the plow on and there was no damage to my truck.

I was with my older brother in his Subaru Brat a few year before and we tagged one, spun us around 4 times and we ended up facing the opposite direction we were traveling on the opposite side of the road, almost got hit by on coming traffic, it was fun. Front of the Brat was gone, the deer was still alive but we were about 200ft from a weigh station and there was a highway patrol unit there and he put it out of its misery.

I have not met many people that have lived here as long as I have that have not hit something at sometime. Wildlife is EVERYWHERE here. Part of the reason I will never leave.

·
Never narc'd on nobody
3,246 Posts
Deer are the dumbest animals in the world. You drive by an elk, moose, bear, dog, etc they look at you and stand there. The only reason those animals get hit is because they don't see your car while crossing the road. Deer are the only fucking thing stupid enough to look RIGHT AT YOU, and then jump out right in time to get nailed.

It's tricky with deer, I've missed just as many by staying on the throttle as I have smashing the brakes. You never know which way they're going to jump....

When it comes down to it, it's safer to ace the thing than it is to run your shit off the road and ace yourself, passengers, people in the opposing lane, etc. Depending on conditions, of course.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I clipped a deer before goin like 70 down the highway, didnt do much of anything for damage. Last summer I saw a SUV like 300 yards in front of me cream a black bear, the suv was totally fucked up

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
i clipped one doing ~105 a few years back. its chest hit my fender, head hit my windshield. it spun around 180 and took out my door/side window, sprayed glass all over me... was not fun

hit another a week after i got my 97 s14

they are all over up here, and yes VERY stupid. we need more hunters.

·
Administrator
8,395 Posts
Well this past weekend my friend and I decided to trailer our snowmobiles and do a road trip 8 hours southwest of here, to a city we used to live in. We saw old friends, visited old restaurants, even got to go for a flight in one of the college training airplanes we learned to fly on years ago. Great time.

Anyways, while we were out on our sleds on Sunday afternoon, I witnessed an insane event. It was 2pm and I was on my ski-doo, waiting to cross a country road, when I see a small doe deer come wandering out of the bush on the other side of the road. She came walking straight towards me, and I thought, wow, strange to see this time of day. I watched her skip over the snowbank onto the road and begin walking towards my side. All of a sudden, out of nowhere this silver Toyota Matrix came speeding along and collided with the deer right in front of my eyes, like 20 feet away. I could literally hear the bones breaking and the metal crumpling.

The deer went flying up into the air and hit the pavement hard. The car stopped and 2 people came out shaking. I can't really blame them, but I find it hard to understand how they didn't see the deer. Anyways, the car wasn't totaled, just needed a new hood and grill. The deer was small, but in really bad shape and still alive. I ALWAYS carry a rifle with me on road trips on northern highways but this one time I didn't. I wished I had my new .30-06 I just got, just to put the poor thing out of its suffering. She was bleeding from the mouth and trying to stand up on broken legs and hips. It was sickening to watch. Eventually the police came and dealt with things, but I'm sure it took them a while.

Cliffs: I watched a car hit a small deer at 60mph and couldn't do a thing to put it out of its misery.
I hit an 1100lb moose last year on my snowmobile up in northern Vermont. I was going about 75mph...moose walked into trail 150 ft infront of me I braked hard but only slowed me down to maybe 45 mph...i had no option but to try to hit it in the least area of mass (its front legs and head).

I dont' remember leaving my snowmobile...but I flew about 30 ft landing on my shoulder/head like a lawn dart into the snow. My knee hit its head as I went flying over it...my sled took its front legs out and broke one of them. I got up and started yelling "how the fuck does that happen" about 20 times...then started to walk towards the moose as it was trying to get up and was probably saying the same thing in "moose". It stumbled away slowly with a bum leg in the 5ft deep powder.

Eventually after running away and probably noticing I was alone I started to wander back towards me for Round 2 apparently...I looked for a tree close enough to climb if it charged...

All in all there was lots of jumping around, yelling hysterically like a mad man in the middle of the forest.

Sled before:

Sled after:

Removed plastic/engine to see how twisted the frame was:

Very lucky to be alive.

Matt C

·
Killing Owls 2 stop O Rly
885 Posts
I have been in the car twice hitting a dear, neither time driving.

The first time was a while ago, maybe 5-6 years. My dad was driving and a mother ran across the road fine but the baby stalled and ran out of a bush just infront of my fathers car. It was literally wrapped up in the wheel and we had to jack up the car to get it off, the whole time with the mother yelling at us. We took it to the vet but I don't know what ended up happening to it.

The 2nd time I was driving with my friend, it was obvious it wouldn't survive so I got out and snapped its neck to put it out of its misery.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I lit up 2 deer in my day.

First was in my dad's car, I came over a hill and it was just standing in the middle of the road. It was a narrow road so it was either clip the deer or hit a tree. The deers head smacked the windshield (not hard enough to break it) and took out the driver side mirror. There was snot and shit all over my windscreen and the side of my dad's car, but other than the mirror. No damage. Deer was seriously fucked. Laying in the middle of the road making noises. I found a cop and told him what happened.

Second was on a highway when a deer jumped in front of me, I darted away from it and got by. The second one jumped DIRECTLY in front of me. Hit my hood and flew up "about 20 feet doing flips and shit" the person behind me told me once we got stopped. I was super pissed at that one. Deer mustve died on impact, cuz that shit wasn't moving. Since then, no collisions.

I've never been in a car accident involving another motorist or anything else...just 2 deer.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts