Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of defi guages (boost, EGT) and when I set the warning on them, it works fine as long as the car is on. but as soon as I shut it off, and back on, they reset to factory warning levels and the stored replay, if I recorded one, is gone...ANNOYING!!!
I have the constant 12V and the ground hooked directly to the battery with a fuse, to eliminate that as a problem...nothing.

Thanks for any help

Nick

·
Supra Fender Covers PM me
502 Posts
How much did you pay for your gauges if you dont mind me asking, i have been looking to get a defi setup

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Around $420 for both with the contol box....think I got a good deal. But they don't make them anymore :( You can still get them from overboost I think.

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
Defi Memory Retention Problem

Need to feed it the proper vitamines...:D

On a more serious note, did you contact Defi?

I'd verify that any and all the hot wires remain hot when you shut the switch off.

Jay

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nick,

Did you verify that the red wire is connected to a constant 12v circuit, and the whatever tap you used is making a good contact? If you have a voltmeter, unplug the power/ground/illum plug from the controller and verify that you have power at the plug end with the ign key "off". Also check that your orange wire is getting power when you crank the engine, as well as when the key is simply turned on.

FWIW, I installed my turbo gauge just today...that gauge is awsome! Great night lighting, I wish the rest of my factory gauges looked so good!

Bob

Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nick,

My Defi gauges are the same way. I just assumed it to be a design flaw as I'm 99% sure the wiring is correct on my setup as well.

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
Bob,

The illumination seems so bright you'll have to wear sunglasses...

Which boost units is it displaying? I'd guess Bar.

What's the size (dia), and where did you mount it?

Jay

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All my wires are correct, I tested them right at the plug that goes into the back of the control box with a voltmeter. I am baffled:eek: :eek:

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The illumination seems so bright you'll have to wear sunglasses...
It is a little bright, but I like the way it looks. I may rig up a voltage divider to knock it down a tad though.
Which boost units is it displaying? I'd guess Bar.
Right - its in Bar
What's the size (dia), and where did you mount it?
Its the 60mm size, mounted in the clock location. The Defi seems larger than the other 60mm gauges though...a 52mm might be good enough and would not require enlarging the clock opening.

-Bob

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
Bob,

I assume it does have peak hold.
I vaguely remember a thread a while ago where somebody was looking for a 52mm boost gauge with peak hold and couldn't find any. Wonder.

Jay

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the same problem, any idea what the heck is going on?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anyone have contact info for some tech support or something, It seems I am not the only one with the same prob.

Nick

·
Unchained
633 Posts
web site.......

Alpine97'TT6Spd said:
Anyone have contact info for some tech support or something, It seems I am not the only one with the same prob.

This is their web site, email contact info is located at the bottom. I have contacted them in the past with technical questions and their response is very quick.

http://www.defi-shop.com

I may be lost but I'm way ahead of schedule.
Scott

·
Registered
120 Posts
I sent an email to Defi about this problem with my boost gauge and here is what they replied:

Sorry for the delay in answering you because of our weekend's off.
In reply to your inquiry, firstly we would like to ask you to make sure of whether the battery is enough or not.
If the battery power is lower than 6V, peak value or warning set value is reset. Please try to connect the red wire of Power Wire(which may be connected to the 12V wire so far) to the battery directly. But still warning value is reset, please send your Control Unit with your warranty card (back on the operation manual) to SPI, our U.S.distributor. (Although sending through the shop you bought it is an official way, in your case, imperial system gauges are available from SPI only. So it would take less time than sending it to the shop at first.)
Here is their address:
SPI POWEREXCEL
Sharp Precision Instruments, Inc.
2 Industrial Drive, Unit F
Cliffwood Beach, New Jersey 07735

Tel (732)-290-2213
Fax (732)-290-3093
URL: http://www.spipowerexcel.com
E-mail: [email protected]

Hope this helps!!

- Brian

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
great, I think my warranty is out on this thing.....shit. I'll try anyway.

Thanks
Nick

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
Bob,

It is a little bright, but I like the way it looks. I may rig up a voltage divider to knock it down a tad though.

I'd be looking at hooking up the illumination wire to the main dash dimmer.

Jay

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'd be looking at hooking up the illumination wire to the main dash dimmer.
I'd love to be able to do that, but the lamp brightness control is set by a variable ground and a constant voltage. I don't know of a way to do it directly with these common ground controller-type gauges. If someone has figured out an easy way to do it, please let me know!

Bob

1 - 20 of 25 Posts