Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
@llcoolgene
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here it is folks. Bare with me, this is my first write-up!!! If you have any questions just let me know. I'll try to be as precise as i can as i didn't take pictures of anything during the install so i'm working with what i have. Enjoy!!

P.S. I did not use the the stock needle as the shaft of the defi needle is too short for the stock needle. If i find something in the future so that I can use the stock needle, i will update the thread.

Tools Needed:
DREMEL (a must)
Electrical Tape
Philips Screwdriver
Dinner Fork (for taking off tach needle, LED conversion)
Electrical Tape
LEDS (if your doing the LED conversion)
Solder (if you ain't got the skills, i suggest you give it to someone that does)
Tweezers
Drill/ Drill Bit (size of the screw to hold tach in place)

Step 1: Take all the screws out of the rear.

Step 2: I wrapped blue masking tape around the tach cover and drew a line about 3/4 from the end. I used the dremel and went around, cutting the cover open. (you dont' have to be too careful in this stage as there are no wires or anything that you may cut, but always be cautious. Cut just enough).

Step 3: Remove the unit.

Step 4:**IF YOUR NOT DOING THE LED CONVERSION GO TO STEP 8** Using the Dinner fork, gently pry the Tach needle off. Make sure that the needle is at it's starting position becuase that is the same place you will be putting the needle back.

Step 5: To remove the tach unit, there are three screws in the back. Remove those and the unit will come out easily. The picture i have has the LEDS already installed, but the unit comes with SMD (surface mount LEDS, picture in the middle) These are very difficult to take off. I managed to take it off with the help of my dad. I suggest you buy "hot tweezers" to make this task easier. Again if you do not have soldering skills, please have someone who does do this part for you. The leds i purchased were ones i had from Ebay a long time ago and decided to give them a try. The pics show them installed. The letters A is Positive and the other side is Negative (just a reference) The middle piece is gauge needle light. I will replace that with blue. (not shown)

Step 6: Remove the Tach Display. Behind the tach display, the area is green (original color) To remove it i used the edge of a razor and some scotch brite. Take enough off to see the numbers and lines.

Step 7: Put the unit Back together....Make sure the needle is pointing at it's starting position. Also notice only 1 screw by the inputs is screwed back in. The other two will be attaching the tach to the cluster.

·
@llcoolgene
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Continued.....

Step 8: Install defi tach. I took all the gauges off in this picture, but you don't have to. THe only gauge you have to take off is the tach gauge. There are screws in the back to take off the tach gauge. After that i stripped the cluster naked.

Step 9: After stripping it naked, follow the holes i made with the dremel. You will need to pop these holes out in order for the unit to fit.
REAR:

FRONT:

Step 10: Trim down as much as you can in this area pictured (inside of cluster). You will have to get the tach as flush as you can. This is pretty much trial and error.

Step 11: Remove these two pieces from the Defi-Tach to keep the unit flush with the cluster. Otherwise it will not fit.

·
@llcoolgene
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Continued.....

Step 12: Once everything is flushed....Line up the other two screws to attach to the cluster. Once you line the screws up, drill two holes just enough to have the screw fit. Adjust the screws with the front plastic cover to ensure proper fitting. Once you screw everything down, place two strips of electrical tape over the screws so it doesn't intefere with the OEM wiring.

Step 13: Put Everything back together !!!!

Step 14: Test Everything using the Defi-Link and 12 volt current to the unit. If everything goes right, this is how it looks!!! The one taken in the dark, i didn't have the middle led installed because i'm still going to put the blue LED in, but you get the idea.

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,780 Posts
I think you should get a plastic wafer available at home depot and have it cut to the size of the gauge. It's the little circles used to glue furniture together. It will refract the light and get rid of those bright spots, giving you an even spread of light.

·
@llcoolgene
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TrueSlideXL said:
I think you should get a plastic wafer available at home depot and have it cut to the size of the gauge. It's the little circles used to glue furniture together. It will refract the light and get rid of those bright spots, giving you an even spread of light.
HmM never seen those before....i might need a pic of that one....

·
NSW supra club Member
475 Posts
Awsome job man, well done.

few questions:
1). What model number/part number is that defi gauge, and size of it? ( so i can look it up if buying)
2). What colour are the numbers and backing originaly? as i would like to match the oem colour of the dash.
3). The tacho still runs of the defi control unit on its own, correct?
4). on teh tacho, you have 2x warning lights? i see one is a warning shift light, what is the other warning light, and do both work?(im guessing they are independant of teh control unit).
5). And lastly, do you have any pictures of the said setup to see the whole dash, just so we can compare it and the looks of it with the original dash setup, to see if it looks odd or made for it(like oem).

again, thanks for the write up and sharing this info, you did well.
+1

·
@llcoolgene
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MAZMAN said:
Awsome job man, well done.

few questions:
1). What model number/part number is that defi gauge, and size of it? ( so i can look it up if buying)
2). What colour are the numbers and backing originaly? as i would like to match the oem colour of the dash.
3). The tacho still runs of the defi control unit on its own, correct?
4). on teh tacho, you have 2x warning lights? i see one is a warning shift light, what is the other warning light, and do both work?(im guessing they are independant of teh control unit).
5). And lastly, do you have any pictures of the said setup to see the whole dash, just so we can compare it and the looks of it with the original dash setup, to see if it looks odd or made for it(like oem).

again, thanks for the write up and sharing this info, you did well.
+1
1. Part No: DF02906/ 4.5 inches/115mm
2. The original colors are green
3. Yes you will need the defi link control unit either the first or second version
4. I'm not sure what the lights are exactly, i bought my defi tach used, so it didnt' come with instructions. I know there is a shift light that is supposed to come with the tach too, but i didn't get it either.
5. Those pics might have to wait as i dont have my car up in and running. It's been bouncing from shop to shop, but i'm sure to update when i do get it in the dash.

Thanks for the compliments again. If anybody needs me to do this for them i'm happy to do it.

L

·
6Spd TT Aerotop
3,620 Posts
Looking forward to pics of it fully installed, with speedo and fuel/temp lit up next to it, and clear day shot.

Also will you be wiring up something to display the factory warning light? I would find that very handy as my PowerFC uses it as a knock warning.

Subscribed.

Dan.

·
@llcoolgene
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sicarius123 said:
Looking forward to pics of it fully installed, with speedo and fuel/temp lit up next to it, and clear day shot.

Also will you be wiring up something to display the factory warning light? I would find that very handy as my PowerFC uses it as a knock warning.

Subscribed.

Dan.
Dan

You and me both my friend..unfortunately it will be awhile since i get my car back...major work on body and engine...but as soon as i get it back, i will definetly post pics...

I will be having a display for the factory warning, but not sure on how or what design just yet...

L

·
HKS T04Z & Vpro Equipped
3,149 Posts
looks good Elgene. Nice write up.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Wow, great job! Looking forward to seeing pics of it installed in the car . . .

·
Premium Member
7,335 Posts
Looks like it'd be annoying to use on the street with the lower half of the rev range scrunched up and at the bottom.

·
Banned
888 Posts
wow, that looks pretty sick.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts