Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im gonna deline my 96 mk4 head lights. im an hour in but have long way to go... i feel like its literally gonna take me 10 hours to do one head light. but lets see how this goes. ill post picture up soon! wish me luck. :)

·
Game Over
1,249 Posts
GL. The 93-96 headlight lenses has a lot of material to sand off. Be careful not to apply too much heat with the sandpaper into the plastic, otherwise you'll end up with Micro stress cracks.

·
Administrator
8,803 Posts
I've seen more delining attempts made than actually successfully completed...I want to believe but I've never seen a set actually come out looking good. Good luck, I hope you prove us wrong.

·
NY56637
1,813 Posts
Good luck! If it’s not too late; let me talk you out of it:

1. It will take forever if you want to do it right. It's a PITA to sand the lines on the inside of the lens while trying to do it evenly. This is partly due to the awkward shape, it’s nothing like sanding a flat wood surface.

2. There is a good chance you will not be able to completely sand all of the lines evenly.
-This will cause the lighting to be unevenly distributed because it’s nearly impossible to make the surface completely even.
-Once you seal them back up and realize this it will then be a PITA to repeat the process of removing the lens and etc trying to get it just right.

3. DJ (member here) sells clear/ de-lined lenses here which is well worth buying over trying to DIY. They look great and are going to have an even surface and etc.

In no way am I trying to discourage you from this versus offer some reasoning as to why it might not be the best solution to clear lenses anymore. By all means if you have the time and extra parts, I suppose it’s always worth a shot. It's just overall really hard to do this right.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?889745-The-MKIV-Headlight-thread

·
Registered
997 Posts
I've completed the project and would never do it again since it took 16+ hours of sanding and orbital sanding. Then I handed it to a body shop for clear coating

·
King Ding-a-ling!
3,195 Posts
I am going to let you guys in on a little secret as I did a few of these back in the day.

What you need is this: http://www.harborfreight.com/air-angle-sander-93629.html

Fill the lens with water and use this mini orbital sander to de-line the lens. (the water will prevent you from burning the lens)

Start course and work fine. Then use Novus plastic #2 to get your lens clear again with a buffing wheel on a die grinder.

I could do a set perfectly in about two hours not including the time to bake the housings apart.

(on a side note... damn my grass looks good!)

Before:

After:

·
Very Senior Member
10,054 Posts
Before others deline your lenses - ask why Toyota put them there. It was no accident or for looks.

·
Registered
792 Posts
They look great

·
Registered
792 Posts
On a side note I bought a house and they threw down bermuda... and it sux!

·
King Ding-a-ling!
3,195 Posts
Before others deline your lenses - ask why Toyota put them there. It was no accident or for looks.
Silver Supra brings up a good point. This mod will turn your high beams into literal spot lights. It's cool some times, but not worth a damn to drive with but.... whith HIDs, I have never needed the high beams.

On a side note I bought a house and they threw down bermuda... and it sux!
LOL. I'm not a fan of bermuda either. My lawn is emerald zoysia. :)

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
You could just find a set of 97+ high beam reflectors and it takes care of the problem.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts