Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Researched these plugs on this site and everyone gave good ratings on them. Turns out they started mis firing on me tonight when I was makin' some freeway runs.. :scratch:

Some say to not gap and leave the stock denso gap, and some say gap them. But the electrode is too fragile to gap. time to get some new spark plugs, maybe not go iridium this time. :urowned: payed 60 bucks! waste of money..

·
6 speed
1,318 Posts
you just have to be careful when you gap them. i gap mine all the time. use some needle noise pliers to bend the electrode and try not to contact the iridium tip..

·
Registered
907 Posts
look into other things that may be causeing the miss. ive had the ik22 on my car now for quite some time and they are still running strong. i had 3330 and 6097 before, but they would start missing after about a week or 2. been on ik22 since june.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
i have IK27's in my boosted celica GT-S and All-Trac...i had a set in my supra but i fouled them out running too rich..poor tuning...ill get another set....i used stock gap which was about .027 you might need IK24's if the 22's were too hot a plug

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I am running extremely rich past 4k rpm. But I was never mis firing when I have my old plugs. When putting the denso's in, after about 2 weeks, it started. Mainly under heavy load (3rd, 4th gear pulls). I might want to switch to ik24's, but I always hear they are minaly for people who go single turbo..

I just want good spark dammit!

Thanks Smaay, I will keep that in mind for sure. You used the stock gap that the denso ik24 cdame with correct?

SUPRASARECOOL-you gapped your densos? Man, I dont know how you didn't damage the electrode, its soooo fragile..

PIWKO4-did you gap yours at all? Are you BPU like me? What are your current mods? Thanks

·
11,221 Posts
I'm running the IK22's here too. Haven't had a problem up to 22psi. I use a micrometer to gap mine to around 0.028".

It's just a lil trick I picked up along the way.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Mike, but how did you gap them loweR? I just dont want to break the tip of it. It looks extremely fragile. I will gap it to .028 and see what happends. Hopefully it turns out good.

BTW: I still haven't forgot about your LED's! Are you still doin' it by any chance? Sorry I didn't send it out, I was lazy and busy. ;)

·
Registered
721 Posts
How do you gap with micrometer?

·
Registered
594 Posts
I also have IK22 and although I did run them for a year on stock gap, I'd like to gap my next set to .030, what methods do you guys use to gap your plugs?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hey bud. I've had those same plugs well over 1 year with no probs. They come pre-gapped and don't need to be gapped(And are difficult to do so) You just put them right in and be done with it.

·
11,221 Posts
Actually what's so hard about gapping these? Just use a gapper (I use the coin type) and use something to pond it.

------------------

With the micrometer, I use like a 2-3" micrometer and I put the plug in. Then I twist the tool and it squeezes the plug. Then I just do it slowly and measure it along the way.

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
i ran ik22 on my full bpu setup and didnt change them for almost 2 years. never a hicup. then went apu[t67 w/supporting mods] and put in the ik24's. never a miss.ran them for a year and put in a new set for the new owner of the car for the hell of it. btw i never ever gapped them. left them to what denso had sent them out as. if you need to gap these plugs then look into your tune and /or your ignition system.
i always had a great smooth idle and car always ran strong.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I'd gap them to like anywhere from .029-.032.
I think the gap is pretty big out of the box, that might be where your problem is. I've had mine gapped at .030 i believe for over a year, and never had one problem with them with bpu, and apu

·
Old School
4,051 Posts
IK22s are .0315 (.8mm) right out of the box.

I ran them on my BPU+ car to 457 rwhp, 22 psi and never had a misfire. Same set of plugs in the car for nearly 4 years. Only 6000 miles, though. :)

As drift tt 23 said, if you need to gap them down on a stock twin car you have ignition/tune/maintenance issues.

·
6 speed
1,318 Posts
michaelvanle said:
Actually what's so hard about gapping these? Just use a gapper (I use the coin type) and use something to pond it.

------------------

With the micrometer, I use like a 2-3" micrometer and I put the plug in. Then I twist the tool and it squeezes the plug. Then I just do it slowly and measure it along the way.
that's no good for the micrometer!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
michaelvanle said:
Is it me or does this sound like someone got attitude? Or did you just get lazy to explain why? :scratch: Or is it because I flaked? :) Haha, Sorry dude..

Back on track:
My car is running extremely rich right now. I think I will stick to the plugs and when I get my MAP ECU in, I will see what I can do from where messin' with the a/f. Thanks for your input guys.. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts