Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what would be the most dependable motor i could put in my car but still have a little power, im asking because im sick of all the shit that goes wrong w/my car, is there any way to buy a NEW motor for my car or is it always going to be like this?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i love my supra and am not willing to give it up

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
where could i buy a motor that has never been used or in another car?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
or would a complete rebuild and all new accesory's do the job,including mhg?

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
hmmmm...Toyota, maybe? The problems with the 7m-GTE will NOT be solved by sticking a new motor in it...just delayed possibly. Face it....the car you bought 15 years old...thats like 457 in people years. It's old. Things on it will break. Owning a MKIII is like that...there are very few of us who do not face daily problems.

My motto of late has been "Just because it starts everytime I want it to doesn't mean nothing's wrong."

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what about stripping it all down and replacing everthing with new parts, including everything from the ground up?

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
Howie said:
ditto...I wish I'd only had to deal with three problems...oh wait I did...

BHG, coil problems,...and....ummm...oh, BHG.

Stripping it down and replacing everything is a good idea and will get you a very dependable "motor". How many of us actually have problems with the motor? BHG does not count:wtf:...

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,351 Posts
Heh... I had a minor oil leak on the turbo fitting, was under warranty, got it fixed. had to replace the rad cap, and the clutch pedal worked it's way loose, had to tighten it.

Only real problem I had before that was the BHG.

Owned the car 5 years.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
mk3supraguy969 said:
what about stripping it all down and replacing everthing with new parts, including everything from the ground up?
Are you really going to do that? No. You're not.
To completely build a Supra from OEM parts would cost more than $30,000, not including the unibody.
What you need to specify is WHAT is going wrong with your Supra... I would imagine the most common (and annoying) problems with the Supra would be limited to blown HG's, rod knock and cooling problems. You could buy a brand new block from Toyota, you can have the head gone through professionally, add strengthened connecting rods, a high volume oil pump, a metal head gasket, a new radiator... and along with a Toyota gasket set, these things alone would probably make for a VERY reliable car for a very long time(provided you're not pushing 30+psi!). One of the main benefits of reading this Forum is the knowledge that everyone shares- not just about performance ideas, but about reliability upgrades- which address the key weaknesses of our cars.

·
2/3 HP to the Paws
1,519 Posts
mk3supraguy969 said:
what would be the most dependable motor i could put in my car but still have a little power,
The one it came with.

im asking because im sick of all the shit that goes wrong w/my car,
Then fix it properly, and don't do silly things such as running high boost on low octane fuel.

is there any way to buy a NEW motor for my car or is it always going to be like this?
Rebuild the one you have, if it needs it, or simply fix whatever is causing problems. It's not rocket science.

I've never had a single reliability issues with any of the mkIII's I've built that I didn't cause. Do things right the first time, and they generally stay that way.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts