Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone done this and if so how much of a power loss did you have
I have rod knock and also have a spare 5m here so thinking of destroking for higher revs.

·
Banned
2,133 Posts
there is a "digital dyno" program available in which you can punch in all of your engine specifics and it will give you your mathematical potential... i forgot what its called, but search around and you may be able to find it

if anyone else can chime in and find this program it would be nice!

·
Banned
3,588 Posts
cartest...its an old old dos program and yes it has the 7m in it!! :)

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
desktop dyno 2000 is what it is called *runs to get engine specs*

·
Banned
3,588 Posts
wow i just checked out the car test site...they upgraded..lol...now u gotta pay for it tho... :(

·
Registered
345 Posts
JonnyRedline said:
wow i just checked out the car test site...they upgraded..lol...now u gotta pay for it tho... :(
The dos one is still free, which should be downloadable.

We need to stop talking about destroking and someone needs to try it. I would like to see it done with some large bore pistons (~2.9l).

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am fixin to do it to my 7mgte and just using the 5m crank, rods, and pulleys, I will be using the 7m pistons

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well according to dyno 2k you can gain 1hp in the 5k rpm range and thats it.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Correct me if I am wrong, but a shorter stroke would allow a more favorable rod/stroke ratio and also lower wrist pin location which would allow thicker ring lands? Is the flywheel bolt pattern the same? I think the crank snout is different... This is what i am planning on doing with my next engine. Ultimate power is not the goal. Usable power is (wide power band).

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
vbpowerhost said:
use the 5m balancer and pulley I am doing it now

Is it as simple as that? The belts line up and it fits with the timing cover?

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I dunno yet looks that way its starting to rain here so I had to cover everything up and quit till the rain goes away.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Eric Barnett said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but a shorter stroke would allow a more favorable rod/stroke ratio and also lower wrist pin location which would allow thicker ring lands?
Yes, you would need to use a 5M rod. Or a rod of the same length but stronger.

Allan :cool:

·
25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,306 Posts
From what I understand, HKS used the 5M crank in a 7M block, and came up with a high rev 2.8L engine used in the HKS drag car from the 80's. (9K rev limit IIRC.)

Peaky power for sure, not what you'd want on the street I'd think.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts