Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just great, just great. I tried cleaning my AFM sensor with care, and I had been warned to not use solvents in the hole where the optics are, so I avoided any liquid from dropping down that hole.

All I did was apply damp Q-tips soaked with WD-40 to clean the main black sensor peice, the long slit and the two smaller slits next to it. I dried all the surfaces and slits with dry Q-tips, and what happens when I hook the sensor back up? The car now won't run at all.

What IS it with these Karman sensors??

A

·
0 Posts
The car should run with the AFM destroyed - try un-plugging it and running it. If it works, then somethinbg is really f*cked up, because the AFM shouldn't stop the car from starting, just run really poorly

·
Registered
82 Posts
Been there and done that too. With the best of intentions I cleaned the AFM carefully, which resulted in a engine that would start but run like crap and would bog down at every point of acceleration. The check engine light and the diagonstic codes told the sad story. I decided to up grade to a Lex AFM at a considerable expense. I will not go near the AFM again. I found an extremely good tech paper on Mass Air Flow Meters at www.parttrackers.com in their repair library titled "MAFs: Weighing Chunks of Atmosphere". The Karman Vortex is discussed. BE AWARE: This tech article advises that "cheap air filters shed fibers that are causing AFM failures.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry guys, lol, false alarm. The car just ran out of gas, because a certain someone who tried to start up the car in the morning warned me!, so I assumed I fuked up the AFM after cleaning it.

The car has been running rich at idle, no thanks to the faulty AFM, I'm ordering a 100% operational AFM in real soon. Thanks for replying anyway guys.

·
Guidando su due rotelle
1,908 Posts
I toasted mine a while back, I now have the stock body running with Lex electronics.......... for now

1 - 7 of 7 Posts