Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone describe exactly what detonation sounds like. Is it similar to the sound of an exhaust backfire? Can an exhaust backfire during WOT? Thanks

·
Registered
790 Posts
hmmm

It is similar to the sound of small children throwing rocks in your engine bay. At least when my car was detonating that is what it sounded like to me.

-Ethan

T

·
0 Posts
hmmm, ok what does fuel cut sound/feel like then? When WOT in 3rd & 4th I occasionally noticed that the car would seem to hesitate while accelerating when the second turbo comes on-line. I have exhaust, dp, and intake and it is bitterly cold here at the moment (about 35 degrees). Could I really be getting fuel cut? Really must buy a boost gauge...

V

·
0 Posts
Detonation, aka Knocking or Pinging, sounds just like that. Pop your hood and physically knock on your intake manifold. Odds are good that if your motor were detonating, that is what it would sound like.

Please note that this is a very rough description and is only an example. :)

N

·
0 Posts
Thorin said:
hmmm, ok what does fuel cut sound/feel like then? When WOT in 3rd & 4th I occasionally noticed that the car would seem to hesitate while accelerating when the second turbo comes on-line. I have exhaust, dp, and intake and it is bitterly cold here at the moment (about 35 degrees). Could I really be getting fuel cut? Really must buy a boost gauge...
does the check engine and /!\ light come on? if so, that was fuel cut. get a bcc

·
SupraForums Member
434 Posts
Detonatino sounds like a bunch of ball bearings inside your cyl.

Take an older automatic car that has 87 gas in it. get on the brake and then floor the gas, most likely you will hear it.

Also take your supra at WOT then let off the gas. That what fuel cut feels like.

plus that ! light.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts