Supra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From theory - which would be better to fight detonation - retard timing or lower boost?

Would this be the best approch - set the boost to best efficiency range for a given turbo and the dial in the timing?
 

·
SupraForums Sponsor
Joined
·
4,068 Posts
AZMongoose said:
Raise the motor octane level of the fuel.
You got a chance to take your car to the track yet? What "motor" octane fuel do you run?

Thanks

Later
 

·
Never enough
Joined
·
1,418 Posts
AZMongoose said:
It ran 132 in 100 degree Phoenix heat this past summer. I will be running it again soon looking for 135+. I run C16 mixed down to 108 MON.
Nice power! what kind of et's were you getting? What tires were you running?

Andrew
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,686 Posts
Pulling out too much timing will make the motor run hotter so it's only valid to a point. I run 15 degrees at peak torque on 91 octane with up to 18 psi. Check with your local tuner to see what they've seen or with others here.

If I go anything over those settings, i can see knock in certain situations. Watch the for knock if you can.
 

·
Lets go Nets
Joined
·
2,956 Posts
silvino said:
Pulling out too much timing will make the motor run hotter so it's only valid to a point. I run 15 degrees at peak torque on 91 octane with up to 18 psi. Check with your local tuner to see what they've seen or with others here.

If I go anything over those settings, i can see knock in certain situations. Watch the for knock if you can.
guys this might be a stupid question but..

how can i measure timing? i always hear about people talking about "oh i have so and so much timing at x amount of psi" i pretty much know timing is like stuff to prevent detonation and knock. can someone explain timing? sorry if im off topic, just a little lost here.

Brett
 
G

·
neonafk said:
guys this might be a stupid question but..

how can i measure timing? i always hear about people talking about "oh i have so and so much timing at x amount of psi" i pretty much know timing is like stuff to prevent detonation and knock. can someone explain timing? sorry if im off topic, just a little lost here.

Brett
This is the software I just purchased. I need to get a new PDA because mine is a subpar POS with only 2Mb RAM. I sholud have one by this weekend and will try it out and let you know.

IMO, timing and A/F are the two most critical parameters for not stressing your engine. Right now I'm running 23psi on 100 octane at 11.5:1 AFR but I have no idea what my timing is.

I guess with the stock ECU ( as I have) timing retard will take place due to knock and I'll be able to adjust boost or octane as required.

Timing advance is required to get the spark to fire quicker as RPMs increase. I suppose transient losses (wire length, etc...) become more apparent at high rpm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,686 Posts
Some of us have a stand alone engine management system and others have a type of scanner to monitor the stockers timing.

neonafk said:
guys this might be a stupid question but..

how can i measure timing? i always hear about people talking about "oh i have so and so much timing at x amount of psi" i pretty much know timing is like stuff to prevent detonation and knock. can someone explain timing? sorry if im off topic, just a little lost here.

Brett
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,254 Posts
stoker6, how is the refresh rate on the Palm software?


thanks,
chuck
 
G

·
IIRC, it's 3 samples per second (max) for just one parameter being recorded. Logging additional parameters drops the sample rate down (if I read the info correctly). Just interested in rpm and timing together...so that rate should be ok?


carendt242 said:
stoker6, how is the refresh rate on the Palm software?


thanks,
chuck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
575 Posts
neonafk said:
guys this might be a stupid question but..

how can i measure timing? i always hear about people talking about "oh i have so and so much timing at x amount of psi" i pretty much know timing is like stuff to prevent detonation and knock. can someone explain timing? sorry if im off topic, just a little lost here.

Brett
On a 94 OBDI ECU, the only things I've ever heard of to monitor timing are a Techtom MD100 or a super expensive analyzer made by Toyota for dealers. The Techtom has only about a 2/sec update rate (if that) and I've heard the Toyota one isn't any better. I've got the Techtom. Let's you select two parameters from a list. There's a link with the parameters somewhere at mkiv.com.

http://www.koperformance.com/supra/supra.html (scroll down)
http://www.koperformance.com/supra/gauges.html

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,432 Posts
Mike_Austin said:
On a 94 OBDI ECU, the only things I've ever heard of to monitor timing are a Techtom MD100 or a super expensive analyzer made by Toyota for dealers.
On that thought, what is a good OBD2 scan tool to use on the Supra to monitor timing? The AutoTap monitors timing correct? Is that the recommend one? I would rather use a gauge like the very neat on for the MD100 so I could easily view all the time. Plus, I don't have a PDA or laptop. :)

John H
 
G

·
A PDA can really come in handy. Can be used to datalog A/F via the FJO and uploaded to your PC (works great, not as bulky and expensive as a laptop). If you opt not to get the LCD FJO display, then just divert those funds for a PDA (cheaper than the display I believe).

Just ordered a brand new Palm III for $79. 8Mb RAM and a cradle too :)

And now I'll be using it for timing as well as A/F.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top