Supra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does it sound like and does anyone have a sound file?

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
listening for knock is about as useless as tits on a boar. by the time you Hear audible knock, its been knocking for a good while. plus, the the fact that most of the time, the exhaust is louder than knock doesnt help the siituation. you want to stop knock before you even hear it.

just install an egt guage. if it gets to 1600*F, its likely that youre knocking because the timing is being pulled.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I get a rattling noise; usually occurs at the lower rpms... 1,500 rpms or below.

I know of two toyota cars that makes the same noise when it's driving up hill, but goes away when it's on flat land.

·
SC61 Powered 90T
847 Posts
I was able to hear my motor detonating when the gas station sold some shitty gas as 93 during a hurricane gas shortage (mother fuckers)

The car sounded fine under stock boost but any thing over 10psi would start to ping, and it was loud because I heard it over my open downpipe. next fill up it went away

·
SC61 Powered 90T
847 Posts
LordLo said:
I get a rattling noise; usually occurs at the lower rpms... 1,500 rpms or below.

I know of two toyota cars that makes the same noise when it's driving up hill, but goes away when it's on flat land.
edit: actually are the cars turbo and are you building boost in 4th or 5th gear at that low rpm??

because of the increase of load going up the hill you may be boosting earlier than your car is supposed to which *might* be causing you to detonate.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
that is catastrophic detonation. every time i experience detonation, its below the audible limit; meaning, my knock sensors pick up on it and pull timing before its gets bad enough for me to hear it. timing pull on a DSM and a supra is blatant too, if you get it, you know it. fortunately, i get to hear the change in exhaust note before the pinging.

·
when this baby hits 88mph
2,198 Posts
LordLo said:

i had this problem once. i had thought for sure it was a timing or fuel issue. tried all sorts of things w/ no results. ended up i had carbon build up on top of the pistons. i used this stuff call mopar combustion chamber cleaner (mccc) to fix it. i sucked 1/2 a can thru the vac line with the car running. then poured the other 1/2 of the can evenly into each plug hole. let the car sit overnight. then changed the oil (it will seep past the rings into the pan). fired it up, blew out any remaining crap. never had a problem since.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
yes, MCCC is a great way to get rid of excessive carbon build up. we used to swear by that stuff in the DSM crowd.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That could quite possibly be the problem. I popped my intercooler pipe off once at around 4,000 rpms and didn't notice it because the engine was still running. It wasn't until I wanted to change gears that the engine just stumbled and died.

I managed to get it back home, but it was pouring black smoke out the tailpipe the entire time. After that night, it started making those noises, so it might just be carbon build up.

Do you guys think Seafoam would work the same?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts