Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you know…

- The Texas Department of Transportation (TXDOT) and the Texas Transportation Commission (the TTC) want to sell the toll revenue rights to this taxpayer-funded roadway to a private, for-profit company under a 50+ year, Comprehensive Development Agreement (CDA)?

- CDAs typically guarantee the private company a double-digit return on investment and an ongoing baseline profit percentage of toll revenue? If you are a business owner, are you receiving this guarantee from the state?

- The state will revenue-share with the private company all excess profits above the baseline? This provides the incentive to maximize toll rates to drivers.

- CDAs often require that free alternative roadways be made less desirable through lane closures, speed limit reductions, or disadvantageous traffic signal timing? These strategies encourage increased toll road usage as free alternative roads become increasingly inefficient for drivers.

- CDAs do not fall under open government or open record laws? You will never see the CDA agreement and the details.

- Our local businesses are less likely to draw regional customers when they can only be accessed on toll roads? If sales tax receipts drop or local businesses fail, your property taxes may go up.

- Most industrial uses will not locate on 121 (where they belong) because it becomes cost prohibitive for them to do business there? Less industrial businesses mean less tax collected locally and therefore more burden on the homeowner.

- Your gas tax dollars have already paid for $106 Million of the current widening from the Dallas North Tollway to US-75? You have been taxed once, and you are about to be taxed again through tolls. If nothing else happens, the section of SH-121 from the Dallas North Tollway to Hillcrest is already allocated, paid for, under construction and will be completed (using your gas tax dollars). TTC/TxDOT wants to convert that section to tolls as well because of the potentially high revenue.

- Collin county taxpayers, cities, and private businesses have donated land and money to the SH 121 widening project totaling over $54 Million? Your property taxes are still paying the debt on the local bond money that was donated and will be for years to come. This land and money are going to be handed over to a private company, and we the taxpayers will be making payments on behalf of the private companies and for their profit.

- The current leadership in the cities of Allen, Frisco, McKinney, and Plano together with Collin County have come up with two proposals to complete the roadway while keeping the citizens’ toll burden to a minimum? Regional and state leaders have twice said no to these cost-effective proposals in favor of higher toll rates. They want more of your money to pay for their own free roads in other parts of the state.

- State leaders are threatening to withhold funds for other area projects if our local governments do not agree to their terms? Some have called this political blackmail!

- SH-121 tolls will be “electronic only?” If you do not have a TollTag, you will not be welcomed to drive on SH-121. This will affect visitors and rental cars, since there will be no cash option.

- The current cost per mile on the Dallas North Tollway and George Bush Turnpike is $0.095 per mile? The proposed 2010 toll rate for SH-121 is $.15 to $.25 per mile. One daily round trip from US-75 to Grapevine on SH-121 could cost you $10.00. If you commute on that road five days per week, your annual bill will be $2,600.00! That is in addition to your gas taxes and NTTA tolls! Can you afford this?
http://www.121-info.com/

And you thought the Feds were out to steal your money? The state is pretty good at it too! Bastards. :urowned:

Write, call and let your voice be heard!

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And this is the response I received from the City of Frisco when I asked how we can prevent this:

The Regional Transportation Commission (the decision maker on SH 121) is wanting public input. Please take the time to read and respond to the questions below. It would be most beneficial if you would ask you staff, friends, clients, business associates, etc. to do so as well.

Citizen input is the best option we have to convince the RTC that this area does not want a private toll road with toll rates starting somewhere between $.17/mile and $.25/mile and then going up with the consumer price index. For reference, the current NTTA rate on the DNT is less than $.10/mile.

Thanks so much for your help.

Here is what we need responses to:

It would be beneficial if you would look at the questions and answers below. If you do not agree with one of the answers, please change it and then send the completed questions: [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>

The Regional Transportation Council is discussing SH 121 as a toll road and policy decisions will be made at their April 13th meeting. We need citizens like you to tell them what you want concerning SH 121.

Thanks, George

The questions/answers are:

Public Survey on Toll Road Policy

Basic Questions:

1. What should the 2010 toll rate be for SH 121? $.12/mile

2. Should there be a Comprehensive Development Agreement (CDA) in Collin County? No

3. Should there be a differential toll rate for peak and off peak conditions? No

If so, what are the rates? Not Applicable

4. How should the toll rate grow over time?

No more than 1.5% per year, or actual cost increase for maintenance and operation, whichever is less.

5. If the CDA anticipates toll revenue greater than anticipated costs, do we request revenue up front or over time?

Over time.
If you can spend a minute, copy/paste these questions and send them with your approval to the email address listed. Frisco doesn't like the state's plans either, but as you can read above, the state has twice refused to change their plans and rejected Frisco's alternatives.

Let your voice be heard!

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And yet more ways to prevent this sellout:

Mr. Pieterse,

Thank you for taking the time to send me your comments. I am happy to hear you are interested in this issue as it has been an uphill battle and our citizens have not been as involved as much as I would like them to be. I firmly believe that unless our citizens become very vocal on this issue, S.H. 121 will become a tollroad and it will be sold off to a private company. If this happens, the tolls will most likely be much higher and have annual escalation built into them. I do not support a tollroad in any form and have voted this way since day one. However, unless you take action and continue to take action and follow this issue, it is probably a lost cause.

What can you do? Please also contact all your representatives to tell them how you feel. You will find a list below. Please forward the survey that our City Manager has sent you to the e-mail listed in it (let me know if you have not received this). It is imperative that our residents know what is going on, so please let your neighbors and friends know and encourage them to take action. If you have friends in McKinney, Allen and/or Plano, encourage them to do the same.

Who else can you contact? For Denton County residents, Denton County Commissioners Sandy Jacobs and Cynthia White both have spoken against the NTTA proposal that the City of Frisco had supported. They are basically supporting the higher tolls that a CDA (Comprehensive Development Agreement) will bring. Ms. White sits on the RTC and voted against the NTTA proposal that was supported by Collin County and the cities of Frisco, Plano, McKinney and Allen. Let them know that you do not support the selling of S.H. 121 to a private company!

[email protected]
[email protected]

While it never hurts to send your comments to all the representatives, you can find out which ones represent you by looking at your voter registration card. You can find your voter registration card here:

Collin County: http://www.co.collin.tx.us/elections/voter_registration/voter_registration_card_voter.jsp

Denton County: http://elections.dentoncounty.com/go.asp?Dept=82&Link=292

Texas State Senators

SENATE DISTRICT 8 - SENATOR FLORENCE SHAPIRO
Capitol Office: CAP 3E.2
Capitol Address: P.O. Box 12068
Austin, Texas 78711
Capitol Phone: (512) 463-0108
District Address: 5000 Legacy Dr., Ste. 494
Plano, TX 75024
District Phone: (972) 403-3404
State District Offices

SENATE DISTRICT 12 - SENATOR JANE NELSON [email protected]
Capitol Office: CAP 1E.3
Austin, Texas 78711
Capitol Phone: (512) 463-0112
District Address: 1235 S. Main St., Suite 280
Grapevine, TX 76051
Chief of Staff Steve Roddy: [email protected]
District Phone: (817) 424-3446
State District Offices

SENATE DISTRICT 30 - SENATOR CRAIG ESTES
Capitol Office: CAP 3E.8
Austin, Texas 78711
Capitol Phone: (512) 463-0130
District Address: 2716 Commerce St., Suite 101
Wichita Falls, TX 76301
District Phone: (940) 689-0191

Texas State Representatives

HOUSE DISTRICT 63 - REPRESENTATIVE MARY DENNY
Capitol Office: CAP GW.8
Capitol Address: P.O. Box 2910
Austin, TX 78768
Capitol Phone: (512) 463-0688
District Address: 1001 Cross Timbers Road, #1245
Flower Mound, TX 75028
District Phone: (972) 724-8477

HOUSE DISTRICT 64 - REPRESENTATIVE MYRA CROWNOVER
Capitol Office: EXT E2.508
Austin, TX 78768
Capitol Phone: (512) 463-0582
District Address: P.O. Box 535
Lake Dallas, TX 75065
District Phone: (940) 321-0013

HOUSE DISTRICT 65 - REPRESENTATIVE BURT R. SOLOMONS
Capitol Office: EXT E1.420
Austin, TX 78768
Capitol Phone: (512) 463-0478
District Address: 1029 Rosemeade Pkwy., #108
Carrollton, TX 75007
Chief of Staff Bonnie Bruce : [email protected]
District Phone: (972) 394-3904

HOUSE DISTRICT 70 - REPRESENTATIVE KEN PAXTON
Capitol Office: EXT E2.712
Austin, TX 78768
Capitol Phone: (512) 463-0356
District Address: 201 West Virginia Parkway
McKinney, TX 75069
District Phone: (972) 562-4543

·
Getrag Gearhead
1,872 Posts
I hear you man but there really isn't any thing I can do as I reside in Arlington. I'll pass the word out to the few friends who live out in Frisco area.

This pisses me off. DFW is one of the only major cities w/o any mass transit system. Also, they haven't done a damn thing to help out much with the increased traffic we've had since '00 and the increased revenue from the increased population isn't being spent wisely. The one time the roads open up they find a way to rip off people.

-Joe

·
I CAN HAS WELFARE
3,413 Posts
I'll pay for more bad ass roads.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, it will be a toll road either way, which may have its advantages as I too prefer a road of good quality. But I don't want some private company operating it at rates 10x those of the other tollways. This whole deal stinks and I wouldn't be surprised if Rick Perry or his pet Ric Williamson had something to do with it.

http://firericwilliamson.com/

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
A toll road is needed to offset the cost of construction, and maintain the level of road quality; yes, But the selling of it to a private company would make toll booths in the range of $3, not $.75.

The NTTA does a great job for a reasonable toll. This is for everyone, not just the locals. If you might ever drive on 121, call, write, email, complain

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dear Stefan,

You have an opportunity this week to vote out of office one the looters/tollers. If you are a registered voter you can vote for Keith Self for collin county judge. He strongly supports finishing 121 without tolling. Our current county judge supports tolling 121. Have you researched the positions of your own city government? It is so easy to blame those whose names you see most often in the headlines, yet have very little to do with issue with which you are so concerned. Both Representative Ken Paxton and myself do not want toll roads and have stated such. We are trying to keep 121 from becoming a toll road. You can help by voting this week for Keith Self for county judge. You will fail your fellow citizens if you do not take the opportunity you have today to vote.

Please let me know when you vote.

Sincerely,
Jodie Laubenberg
If you live in Collin County and haven't made up your mind about voting for county judge this week, have a look at http://www.friendsofkeithself.com to see one candidate who is strongly in favor of not privatizing the 121 and who has the upgrading of Collin County's infrastructure as one of his spearpoints. There are so much roads that need work.

Oh yeah he wants to lower property taxes by at least 4% too (without hurting necessary spending) :) I like this guy.

·
Arlington's Highway King
1,099 Posts
Im not gonna lie. I really cant stand toll roads. Mainly cause i rarely have cash or change on me so i always get stuck in a shitty situation. But i live in arlington so this really has no affect on me. Just one more reason to stay outta dallas.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey man, nice sig :)

·
Arlington's Highway King
1,099 Posts
Thanks stephan.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts