Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 97 and my check engine light came on today... i was wondering if i can get the codes out of it (obd 2) by grounding it out somehow... i did a search but couldnt find anything...btw i have no computers or anything wired up except a boost cut defencer and a turbo timer that have both been on for nearly two years... it used to always be on (RMM downpipe) but when i redid my dp/exhaust in 4" i welded the oxygen sensor flange to a 1.5" pipe and welded that to the outside of the 4" pipe (out of the exhaust stream) and since then the light has not come on once... i reset the ecu and am waiting to see if the light comes back on... thanks in advance, brian

·
wut
363 Posts
Open the cover to that diagnostic plug that is located below and to the left of the steering wheel. Have your car's ingtition turned on but the engine not running. With a piece of wire, connect terminals TE1 and E1. Watch your Check Engine light for blinking. It will start flashing and then will make a short pause and then flash again. Example: five blinks in a row followed by a short pause and then three blinks in a row will equal an engine code of 53.

Also, if you are pulling multiple codes, there will be another pause after it flashes out the first code and then it will start blinking out the next one. If you only have one code, it will repeat itself.

·
wut
363 Posts
Ugh, I just realized you have a 97/OBDII. Not sure if this will work for you:(

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
anybody know for obd2?.. thanks, brian

·
Stock Twins King
4,439 Posts
Just go buy the code reader for about $25 at HArbor Freight. It even comes with a book of codes.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=46030

It says $49, but I have seen them at $25

Stu

PS You cant read codes unless u borrow a reader. If your lucky, a dealer will do it for free. But just about any repair place has these, including some gas stations

1 - 8 of 8 Posts