Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving to school this morring. Half way there my MKIII started making a ticking. After a block got louder, so I pulled over to check the noise. As I pulled over it made a low pitched pop. Almost like a poof, then it died. I couldn't bring it back. It sounded like the starter was trying to turn it. I checked under the hood. I HAVE NO oil. I just freakin changed the oil like a week ago and it does leak.

Im not at all new to engines just supras. Please I hope I didn't suck a valve.

What happened? Does any one think they know what I did or have any sugestions?

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
ya, the 7m doesnt like to be low on oil.
You more than likely have rod knock. time for a rebuild or new motor.

·
two wheels is all i need
1,232 Posts
rod knock and than you probably blew a hole in the block
happened to me too as soon as i pulled over it poped and shut off.

·
MK4 of Them
1,173 Posts
well now you can swap out to a 2j or 1j....dont waste time with the 7m anymore

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
tell Duane it's "wasting time"

:gtfo: if you don't have anything intelligent to say

to OP: Was there a puddle of oil on the ground? More than likely you did blow the engine...

·
Banned
2,386 Posts
its a old engine..expect a bhg or a rod knock..before you spend your $ on a 2jz or a 1jz...rebuild the 7m...atleast to yourself you know you have a brand new motor with zero miles...i am not knocking the 1jz or 2jz..just that now a days buying those engines...you dont know the miles or if there any good..

·
Banned
2,386 Posts
well we cant assume he has a hole in the block..if he does...i am sure you can get a 7m engine for cheap and STILL do a rebuild on top of it..and comes out cheaper.

179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I Put 3 quarts in. Dip stick says its full now. But now It doesn't even turn. When turn the key the car rocks over. My cousin (MKIV owner) says it just might be a seized starter and F**ked fly wheel. The ticking it made does make me believe it could have been the starter gear shredding off my flywheel teeth.

Thanks for the suggestions. Not really what I wanted to hear, but that is the music. Well thanks guys. BTW what's bitron?

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
well best way to check the flywheel is get under the car and look in the little windows in the tranny.

the sound you heard did it get louder when you reved the motor?
cuz man...if you didnt have oil the engine is fukd.

·
KBR
2,910 Posts
I'm pretty sure that you had a rod knock. so if the motor is still salvageable then just rebuild it. or if youre in a budget and want to get back in the road, get a used JDM motor. Engineworld at Emeryville sells those 7MGTE's for $950 and its warrantied for 6 months, unlimited miles.

anywayz, thats just my opinion aite. coz I'm pretty sure that there are some grumpy old men & some dick riders out there who's gonna start cryin about JDM 7M's. ;) or 7M's in general.

aite, peace.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
it's gonna have to be pretty bad if it won't start

mine had HORRIBLE rodknock and still ran...

·
two wheels is all i need
1,232 Posts
it's gonna have to be pretty bad if it won't start

mine had HORRIBLE rodknock and still ran...

lol my mine two holes in the block and i still got it home... aprx. two miles, ehh the good ol 7m that motor went trough hell with me and in the end the turbo fucked it up.... god damn CT burnin oil... i miss the mkiii problems.

EDIT:MKIV owner.... dont listen to them... The starter MIGHT(but not likely) be shot but thats because of your engine might be seized
Inspect the block for holes, if there is one its possible the rod broke off from the piston and is just jamming everything in there... but that might even happen with out the hole, thats what happen to mine.

·
Shop Tech All Around Auto
510 Posts
Could just be hydrolocked. Pull the spark plugs and see if you can turn it over with a wratchet and socket on the crank pulley bolt.

179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes I ended up buying a motor from oska. They have cheap prices but I had some small problems with the motor. Nothing but But I called them on it and they avoided me like the plauge. Buy from them at your own risk. But yes my car is back together. The radiator hose popped off on a really bad part of the freeway and I was forced by the CHP to drive to the nearest exit. It was 4 miles of driving my 1 week old engine full heat. It died at the off ramp. I coulded get it started for a couple days. I waited a week and it freakin started right up. I little rough at first but fuck man 4 miles overheating. Do that shit with a ford or gm motor. Someone please try to tell me the toyotas are crap. lol.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts