Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rant rave flame do what you will, I am curious as to why this isn't talked about more on the forums. Im a hardcore do it cheeper/yourself and have been researching but seem to find very little info. I am curious if people have done it? what turbo? rwhp? any and all inteligent input is welcome as im sure I will hear from those who hate people like me:wavey: BTW I work on diesels for a living.

·
tunin' da beast
479 Posts
If you're working with diesels on a daily basis then you should know that the exhaust temps from a diesel are a lot lower than from a gasoline engine. Therefore dieselturbo's don't last long when used on a gasoline engine and that's why no one uses them for their supra.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The exhaust side is usually bigger on the diesel turbos, so they generally will spool slower on a gas engine. I really don't think it has anything to do with the exhaust temps. I'm sure it would last fine on a supra if you could find somthing with a small enough turbine. Isn't the hx35 a diesel turbo? Those are used pretty commonly on supras.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
EGT? tell that to the guys running them on the mkiii,dsm,honda ect. Please dont post with intend to make me look stupid. Im not asking this to argue, but to find and expose useful information for those of us willing to experiment.

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
Therefore dieselturbo's don't last long when used on a gasoline engine and that's why no one uses them for their supra.

Well that's a load of bullshit. Care to give some proof to back up your story?

Diesel turbos are assentially THE SAME as the ones you use in gasoline cars, the turbine housings are just bigger. It's very common to use Holset truck turbos in Europe, they just change the exhaust housing/wheel to something smaller from a smaller Holset truck turbo or from the Garrett lineup.

Because truck turbos operate at 1.5bar+ for 300k miles, they are actually alot more robust (bigger shaft and thrust washers etc.) than regular turbos and therefore last alot longer than gasoline turbos.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I currently have a Holset HY35 on my mk3. It's working wonderfully. I changed nothing on it with the exception of modifying the compressor outlet to accomidate the IC pipe, and a restrictor in the inlet. i guess the Cummins engine uses higher volume and lower pressure, so i put in a little pill to restrict the perssure a bit. No problems since. The only issue I had was having to convert to a tubular manifold with external w/g because the standard internal gate, even ported couldnt let out enough exh. gases for lower boost.
Full spool on the turbo was between 3200 and 3600rpm. Daily at 17psi it hit 17, held, and pulled like crazy. very loud hiss with the anti-surge compressor housing.
When i put race fuel in the car and took it up to 26psi it was explosive power. I had a spec 3 clutch with ceramic disc should hold up to ~510ft lbs. 1st, 2nd, 3rd had no traction what-so-ever then 4th grabbed finally and the clutch started slipping.
I have no idea what numbers i put down, but diesel turbo's are OK in my book.
As a matter of fact, I saw a red MKIV with a HY35 on it. So its by no means unheard of. I dont see anything wrong with it at all, its much less expensive, just as powerful and you get more longevity then a standard gasoline turbo.

Josh

·
feeding your habit
4,015 Posts
it all comes down to AR's ...... diesel will have a very large hotside ar, if you find the right one you can just swap the hotside. A big hotside AR means you will have to wait a long time to come into boost.

I don't think there is any issue running a turbo from a diesel on a gas engine - purely from an EGT standpoint. As for RPM, etc... if you find a nice AR setup then you will be fine.

·
Registered
178 Posts
it all comes down to AR's ...... diesel will have a very large hotside ar, if you find the right one you can just swap the hotside. A big hotside AR means you will have to wait a long time to come into boost.

I don't think there is any issue running a turbo from a diesel on a gas engine - purely from an EGT standpoint. As for RPM, etc... if you find a nice AR setup then you will be fine.
:agreed:

·
tunin' da beast
479 Posts
EGT? tell that to the guys running them on the mkiii,dsm,honda ect. Please dont post with intend to make me look stupid. Im not asking this to argue, but to find and expose useful information for those of us willing to experiment.
I'm not bullshitting you, just giving input why I think it doesn't work.
I assumed you were talking about VNT's which most dieselengines have since the '90s. VNT's are very nice for their responsiveness and I assumed you wanted to put one of those from a diesel on your supra, as the aftermarket ones from Garret (I believe it was them) are very expensive.
The diesel ones don't last at 1000deg Celsius (don't know what this is in F). Porsche with it's latest Turbo model is the first factory gasoline engine with a VNT.
The main problem with using VNT's on gasoline engines is heat; there's a 200 deg C difference between diesel and gasoline engines and the mechanical components just don't last.
I guess an ordinary diesel turbo will work, but as said, the A/R's are way off for a gasoline engine due to lower exhaustgas speeds.
You will need to fabricate a hybrid or else you will end up with a laggy turbo. Although bear in mind that the vanes from a diesel turbine won't have the optimum angle for gasoline exhaustgas speeds and therefore won't perform to an optimum.

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
I'm not bullshitting you, just giving input why I think it doesn't work.
I assumed you were talking about VNT's which most dieselengines have since the '90s. VNT's are very nice for their responsiveness and I assumed you wanted to put one of those from a diesel on your supra, as the aftermarket ones from Garret (I believe it was them) are very expensive.
The diesel ones don't last at 1000deg Celsius (don't know what this is in F). Porsche with it's latest Turbo model is the first factory gasoline engine with a VNT.
The main problem with using VNT's on gasoline engines is heat; there's a 200 deg C difference between diesel and gasoline engines and the mechanical components just don't last.
I guess an ordinary diesel turbo will work, but as said, the A/R's are way off for a gasoline engine due to lower exhaustgas speeds.
You will need to fabricate a hybrid or else you will end up with a laggy turbo. Although bear in mind that the vanes from a diesel turbine won't have the optimum angle for gasoline exhaustgas speeds and therefore won't perform to an optimum.

I presumed the guy wasnt talking about VNT turbos because they are generally so small that there wouldnt be any point in using one even if you would get it to work on a gasoline car like Porsche did on it's newest 997TT.

When I go single I'm going with a Holset HX50 or HX55 with a custom hotside.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
krister, where can I find the hx50 or hx55, or info on it? I read what I could about them but it wasn't much. Another question is about the flanges, are they the same? The turbos I work with at caterpillar are I believe made by garrett among other companies, . I have read about sites that give you all the info on a turbo if you give them the s/n Or other stamping. This would be very useful if anyone knows a good site.

·
I love sequentials!
2,578 Posts
You bought the wrong car :hahano:

I hear civic parts are very inexpensive!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
turbosupra... I paid 6,500 for my car, so I guess im not worthy to own it because I have a kid on the way and am a little limited on what I can spend. Its tool bags like you that ruin the reputation of a supra owner. anyway most of you have been very helpful.Thankyou. Please any more INTELIGENT input is most welcome.

·
GO 'Cats!
1,001 Posts
turbosupra... I paid 6,500 for my car, so I guess im not worthy to own it because I have a kid on the way and am a little limited on what I can spend. Its tool bags like you that ruin the reputation of a supra owner. anyway most of you have been very helpful.Thankyou. Please any more INTELIGENT input is most welcome.
Impressive eighth post.

·
GO 'Cats!
1,001 Posts
Impressive eighth post. Inteligent? How is anyone ruining anything? Let's not go postal please?!

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
krister, where can I find the hx50 or hx55, or info on it? I read what I could about them but it wasn't much. Another question is about the flanges, are they the same? The turbos I work with at caterpillar are I believe made by garrett among other companies, . I have read about sites that give you all the info on a turbo if you give them the s/n Or other stamping. This would be very useful if anyone knows a good site.

Not sure who makes them in the US. I get them locally here. Here's a web page:
http://www.proturbo.fi/index_en.htm

That place is a bit expensive though, I know a place that mekes custom hybrid Holsets for 700-800.

Most of the HX50 and 55 has a T4 flange. Smaller ones may come with a T3, but again, you can make custom ones.

turbosupra: Nice and ignorant post. FYI the Holset turbos come with the seven blade intake wheel and they have the extended tip techonology. Go do some research before you post. This isnt some Ebay bullshit turbocharger we are talking about here.

·
Registered
178 Posts
my friend has a hook-up on holset turbos and we planned on doing an hx40 or hx50 and replacing with garret parts and taking the hotside down a little bit. I think its fine, not everybody who owns a supra has thousands of dollars each month to spend on expensive turbo kits....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts