Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into diff. fluids for my car. I had a thread going and Andi went to the MKIV site where he had a chat with Kent Rafferty about the Redline "shockproof" diff. lube. Andi,did Kent ever get back to you as to what version the "strawberry shake" diff lube was? Heavy, light, etc (sounds like tampons, sorry)? Saw that Kent said he got it from someone else who had the stuff in a drum and he would contact them. Thought he might have emailed you instead of posting it on the MKIV list. Would like to get the best diff lube for the monthly forays where I put the hammer down. thanks
Barry H. 94ttsupra 6sp.

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
bwill said:
I am looking into diff. fluids for my car. I had a thread going and Andi went to the MKIV site where he had a chat with Kent Rafferty about the Redline "shockproof" diff. lube. Andi,did Kent ever get back to you as to what version the "strawberry shake" diff lube was? Heavy, light, etc (sounds like tampons, sorry)? Saw that Kent said he got it from someone else who had the stuff in a drum and he would contact them. Thought he might have emailed you instead of posting it on the MKIV list. Would like to get the best diff lube for the monthly forays where I put the hammer down. thanks
Barry H. 94ttsupra 6sp.
He never did get back to me on that... I'm guessing it was the heavy. But I just asked him again on the mkiv list... I'm interested in finding out too. Seeing as I track my car about once a month, I think I'm going to go with the Shockproof as well.

Andi

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Andi,
If he lets you know via emai post it here or on MKIV and I will see it. I thought I did a post to MKIV about DOT Race Rubber tire size but it got lost I guess. Knowing that Kent does street mod Solo 2 I was curious about his thoughts on tire size when it comes to DOT race rubber(Kuhmos or Hoosiers). Saw on the SCCA site where Kent took third in his class this year at the SCCA Nationals. Obviously he is fast. You run any DOT race rubber? At some point a bigger tire may not be better due to not getting the temps up high enough. My primary concern is Solo 2 since I do that about twice a month and only get to do track events four or five times a year (looking for more but then a multimillionaire is building an unreal 30million dollar road racing course about ten miles from my house!! hot damn. You should see the layout. Looks like Brands Hatch if you know what that looks like). Appreciate your help.
Barry H. 94ttsupra 6sp.
(eagerly awaiting my bad ass sway bars):)

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
Barry,

I don't know what tires he runs, but I think he runs big 275/315's on big Forgelines like I do.

I have no doubt that the ultimate would be the Hoosier autocross compound tire (AS303 I think?) in 275/40-17 and 315/35-17.

Andi

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I will try and throw my post out again on the tires because for Solo2 as opposed to track events, it is one run then fifteen minutes later another run, and so on. A competitor in my super stock class dropped from a 265 rear down to a 245 rear to match his 245 front and he uses Hoosiers. He has a BMW M Coupe (by the way he is the SEDiv. Super Stock Champ). He liked the change down to smaller size, said car felt better and believes he gets the rears nice and hot (and damn sticky) with the smaller rear but has not check with a pyrometer. Was wondering for a Supra at what tire size can you get the best tire temp and grip. When you hear a car going by in the paddock picking up every grain of dirt and rock on the pavement, you know you gotta have a set of those tires to be competitive. I am sure for track events it could be different even from Solo 1 which is a warm up lap, a hot lap, and a cool down. Track events you can get a couple laps in to get your tires up to temp but there may not be much difference. I don't know. I am going to see if I can get a response on it. May be going to a track event in October by the Honda/Acura club on a track I am familiar with. Should be fun doing passes on the straights on those guys. Hey, Hey.
Barry H. 94ttsupra 6sp.
"Daddy what is the whistling blur?"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts