Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Search
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an 89 NA Chassis without tems or anything special like that. I'm 99.99999% sure I do not have LSD because whenever i've done a burn out or anything like that i've only laid one strip of rubber...whenever i've been stuck in snow I can look out my window and my drivers tire won't be moving but the pass will be spinning in place.....

Today I was having a little fun and did a burn out when I took off from work... I looked in the mirror and saw TWO patches.... can someone explain how i left rubber from each wheel when I dont' have LSD?

·
Chasing Leaks 24/7
214 Posts
DevinWolfe said:
Maybe it just grabbed too? My FWD Nissan spins both sometimes and it usually only spins one.

Mine too.

Usually only happens when you're going in a straight line.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
Open diffs don't ALWAYS spin only one tire.

·
Needs More 1jz
987 Posts
just check on your under hood tag on your fire wall the 3rd set of 4 numbers at the buttom of the tag should have a 3 or 5 in it if you have a limited slip :) IIRC :p

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
SupaMan said:
just check on your under hood tag on your fire wall the 3rd set of 4 numbers at the buttom of the tag should have a 3 or 5 in it if you have a limited slip :) IIRC :p
Still could be worn out and be effectively non-LSD anyways.

·
NorCal Haters Club
2,251 Posts
post the A/TM code on the inside of your door jam. As long as the idff has not been changed before it will give you the Rearend size, ratio, and let you know if it is posi or not.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The canadian models were the only N/As that had a limited-slip. RIGHT?? i know my dose, mainly becouse it says LSD right on it.

·
SupraStore.com
2,134 Posts
No, any MkIII with the "Sport Package" or LSD option had one. The easiest way to tell is either look at the differential and see if it says "LSD oil only" like most do (I recall seeing an LSD designation on mine, and my AE88 had a sticker that said "only use LSD oil")

That, or check the rear end code. Unfortunately, yours isnt a superior pre89 so it wont have the firewall badge to signify this :p

·
NorCal Haters Club
2,251 Posts
Diff code every time will tell you what you should have unless of course it has been changed. In the case it has been changed, pull the diff and remove the cover. This is the only way to garuntee what you have for sure.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
Orion ZyGarian said:
No, any MkIII with the "Sport Package" or LSD option had one. The easiest way to tell is either look at the differential and see if it says "LSD oil only" like most do (I recall seeing an LSD designation on mine, and my AE88 had a sticker that said "only use LSD oil")

That, or check the rear end code. Unfortunately, yours isnt a superior pre89 so it wont have the firewall badge to signify this :p
All Canadian MK3's have LSD, we never had open diffs, that's probably what he was thinking of, however in the USA, LSD was an option. :)

SupaMan said:
which is why you check your diff code........
That's what I was saying, even if the car has LSD, and the code says you have LSD, if it's worn out, it's no better than an open diff.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
Orion ZyGarian said:
Bleh. You canucks. At least I know if I needed a differential, I could find one off of a Canadian car!
Too bad the opposite is true for the AE86. We never got LSD here, not even as an option, and in the USA, lots of them have it.

·
SupraStore.com
2,134 Posts
Ouch! Thats so weird that our cars could be so different.

BTW, could you swap the Corolla diff with the Supra diff? I'm not actually looking to do it because my 4.3 was way to high for the highway driving that I do, but I am just curious

·
Now with less BHG...
409 Posts
The corolla was FWD was it not? Therefore the diff wouldn't work...

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
reedjsupra said:
The corolla was FWD was it not? Therefore the diff wouldn't work...
We're talking about RWD Corollas.

The Corolla has a tiny diff. 6.7", the Supra has an 8.0" diff. Mucho larger.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts