Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like new problems pop up every other day with this car. Eventually I guess they will stop but I refuse to bring it to a shop and waste my money on someone else doing it! I was wondering if you guys have and pictures or experience with changing the LSD rear pinion seal (seal by the driveshaft) and how to do an on car replacement of it without using the SST because I can't find that thing anywhere. The leak is pretty bad. In other words, how have you guys performed this without the SST. Thanks

·
4,932 Posts
Unstake the nut. Impact gun to get the nut off, then the flange will slide right out, and you can replace the seal.

Doing it on the car is going to be a bitch, and torquing it to 150 ft-lbs or whatever it needs to be at is going to be difficult to...especially since there's a crush sleeve in the diff that you can't reuse which is going to be slackened when you take the nut off.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unstake the nut. Impact gun to get the nut off, then the flange will slide right out, and you can replace the seal.

Doing it on the car is going to be a bitch, and torquing it to 150 ft-lbs or whatever it needs to be at is going to be difficult to...especially since there's a crush sleeve in the diff that you can't reuse which is going to be slackened when you take the nut off.
So basically doing this without the SST is possibly . Good to hear. Thank you

·
4,932 Posts
I used an impact gun to get the nut off of my diff, but I had the diff entirely out of the car. It's possible, yes. Torquing it back down you're going to have to get creative and have someone chock the tires so they can't spin.

·
4,932 Posts
The SST is just for holding the flange still while you take the nut off. The seal will pull out (although its hard to do from the flange side) and the spacer slides right out after that.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The SST is just for holding the flange still while you take the nut off. The seal will pull out (although its hard to do from the flange side) and the spacer slides right out after that.
Oh okay understood thank you! That makes sense thank you for clearing that up for me

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
make sure you replace the diff vent. if this rusts closed, your diff will blow out oil when it heats up. That would probably be my first fix attempt - cheap and fairly simple.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
make sure you replace the diff vent. if this rusts closed, your diff will blow out oil when it heats up. That would probably be my first fix attempt - cheap and fairly simple.
Diff vent? Never heard of this. I don't even think I saw it on the tsrm. Explain a little more if you can. Only parts it said to replace was the bearing and spacer but I also bought a nut and the bearings just because.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I'm guessing he means the breather plug. 90930-03031

It bolts into the top of the rear cover.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts