Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
What You Know About That
3,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
besides the obvious (pre '97 has black background while the '97-'98s have a silver one) is there any difference between the bulbs, etc? are the '97-'98 bulbs L.E.D.s?? and are the amber lights the same size as the clear/reverse lights? i was hoping to buy another pair of tailights and just swapping out the amber with the clear to get the W-R-R-W look.

·
HKS T04Z & Vpro Equipped
3,149 Posts
i think there the same when i switched mine out I plugged in mine like i unplugged them from the originals. so yes i think they are all the same.

·
HKS T04Z & Vpro Equipped
3,149 Posts
sorry didnt really know how to put it

·
What You Know About That
3,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its ok, i kinda get wat ur saying...(i think?) ur talking bout switching out the old style bulbs for the new style??

·
HKS T04Z & Vpro Equipped
3,149 Posts
no not right now but i am sure i can find one at home and then i will pm you with it.

·
Registered
892 Posts
SupraDupra, I've go the WRRW look on the '98 tails like you're looking to do. It looks great IMO. It brings out the rear of the car amazingly. I'm not sure if I would like it as much on any color other than black. I'll try and get some pictures of the rear of my car by tonight.

·
Registered
892 Posts
As promised here's a few pictures I just snapped.

If you want to see the picture in full 1600x1200 resolution, just open the picture you want to view in a new window and add *.orig.jpg* to the end of the URL of the picture.
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

Brandon

·
Bad Texan Boy
4,266 Posts
Very good Midnight Hour, I like that on 97-98 taillights with clear signal lens... I believe you bought it from the company since your each taillight has two red rings since OEM only made one... :)

You probably know mine custom '95 taillight with clear signal lens...

·
Registered
892 Posts
Thanks for the compliment, but no, I made mine with my own hands. :) The only thing I did was take out the reverse lights from the '94 lights and put them in place of the turn signals on the used '98 lights I'd come across and switch around the exterior lenses because the ones on the '98 lights were in bad shape.

·
What You Know About That
3,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Midnight Hour & DragRacingSupra....nice taillights, now a question to both of u. aren't the 97-98 bulbs different than the 93-96? cuz i've seen some supras with taillights that don't light up like mine do??

·
What You Know About That
3,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
also, can the 97-98 tailight bulbs fit in the same slots in the 93-96 taillights. see i have a 94 and i was thinking about doing the swap but i plan on keeping my black housing (black area aroung taillights) instead of the gray one becausem y car is black. Any suggestions?? Thanks

·
Registered
892 Posts
I can honestly say that everyone I know personally likes the dark grey of the '98 lights on my black car better than with the black housing. However, it's all personal opinion. I honestly couldn't tell you if the harness/bulbs froma '94 fit the '98 housing because I used the front/back lense from the '94 lights I had and just dropped in the '98 internals with the modded turn signals. Wish I could help you there.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I always liked the 94 taillights.....until I got the 98's and realized how much better they looked. It's hard to tell from pics, but seeing them in person, I think there is no comparison. The 98's are hands down the nicest, IMO.

·
What You Know About That
3,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so Midnight Hour, u purchased a pair of used 98 taillights and just swapped out the 94 reverse lens cover(??) for the 98 amber? did u also switch any of the reds by chance? i think i mite just end up doing the same as you. Thanks for the replies.

P.S. wen i get around to buying a pair, u think u can help me with any questions i mite have?

·
Registered
892 Posts
SupraDupra_17 said:
so Midnight Hour, u purchased a pair of used 98 taillights and just swapped out the 94 reverse lens cover(??) for the 98 amber? did u also switch any of the reds by chance? i think i mite just end up doing the same as you. Thanks for the replies.

P.S. wen i get around to buying a pair, u think u can help me with any questions i mite have?
Yep. The '94 lights that came on my car were in great shape. The used '98 lights i purchased had the clear external lenses in horrible shape. So when I opened up the tail lights to switch my external lenses from the '94's over to the '98's, I decided to just take the reverse lights out of the '94's and put them in place of the '98 amber turn signals. It's a pretty straight forward swap but if you need any help, PM/E-mail me or just hit me up on AIM. My screen name is FalseEssence.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts