Supra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok this has got me kinda confused... im thinking about buying a second 2JZ short block and building it up with forged internals and all (i have high goals for my car over the coming year and dont want to really have to worry about something letting go at the track or in a street race or on the dyno)... and im wondering what the difference between a built motor and a "race" motor is.... ive heard built motors can be fairly reliable, last for a while in daily driven application (from another thread i made a week or 2 ago).. but then i see this post (hope you dont mind me using your a piece post Greg.. found it in this thread, second to last post... http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=150066 )

Greg Bielawski said:
Also, keep in mind that having a race engine will require it be overhauled every few months
if a race engine and built engine are one in the same (as far as i know the race teams use the same parts as built street motors), perhaps i wont go that route, because i dont particularly care for having to overhaul a motor a few times a year. anyone care to shed some light on this for me? thanks :)

·
Feck Off My Internets
1,157 Posts
I have a good friend in the racing industry who says they are 2 diff things. Built motor is a motor that is meant to last. Racing motors are Built to where they "Hope" it will last but my friend says on their engines they do drags with have to be overhauled every couple events sometimes right after because they are pushing such insane numbers on those engines they are really just trying to get it to last throught that event and thats it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts