Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Nottin' like boost...
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how can you tell if its a slipping tranny or a slipping torque converter? if its even possible to be a slipping torque converter

here is what is happening:
i was on the highway today, going about 75, i floor the car, i see the rpms rising steadily, boost is at around 17, yet my car barely accelerates, it does this for first gear too when i press the gas and it downshifts into 1st from 2nd, i noticed a couple weeks ago it started bouncing off the rev limiter in first, i guess that was the first sign and now its gone?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have heard of cars not pulling out when you first get in them and put them in drive. However after about 5 mins when the car warms up they drive normal. Fluid was full to. I was skeptical that this was a Torque Converter too because the tranny was new.

·
Never enough
1,418 Posts
How many miles on your trans? Stock converter? BPU? It sounds to me like the tranny is dying...:(

·
Registered
679 Posts
it is possible to have a slipping torque conv and the symptoms you listed are pretty accurate to a slipping conv. I had similar issue with my car, thinking its the tranny I replaced it with a new tranny but reused the troque conv. The tranny swap did not fix the problem so now i'm going to upgrade to a 3200 tc, that should resolve the issue.

·
NFA Pimp
2,735 Posts
All converters slip... until they lock up. During normal acceleration there is nothing in the converter that would cause it to slip more then normal.

·
Nottin' like boost...
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
but its weird because a lot of the times when the 2nd turbo comes on it all of a sudden starts to pull

my car has 106k miles on it, bpu for like the last 8k of that, stock stall

·
Administrator
4,972 Posts
Not being able to accellerate sounds like a convertor problem. If the trans goes it is usually the 2nd gear goes and the symtems of that are bouncing off of the rev limiter during the 1-2shift and then eventually not wanting to go into second gear until you let off and then re-apply the throttle.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
mine goes fine, but bumps the limitor on the one two shift and two three shift then about snaps you neck off on on the thee into over drive.

I also get this sound that sounds like a prop air plane out of my trans. I guess i should no have doen that 145 mph burn out in the parking lot. all was goo till then.

Might go get the fluid and converter flushed and put new TOYOTA fluid back in... however every time i did this the trans just got wrose.

I think 65vette396 has a auto supra trans with like 30,000 klomiters on it. might e mail him.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts