Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the differences between the ha,hr,ra units. For a car that will see mostly street use with occasional autcrossing which would be the best units to go with. Are the Tein's the best on the market or are there other companies that make better a better product.Thanks for any responses.

N

·
0 Posts
les said:
What are the differences between the ha,hr,ra units. For a car that will see mostly street use with occasional autcrossing which would be the best units to go with. Are the Tein's the best on the market or are there other companies that make better a better product.Thanks for any responses.
Les,
I highly recommend the the Tein HA's which suit me perfectly for street/occasional track use. I actually just bought my second set of TEIN HA's for my 240 =). The RA's are similar to the HA's except they are aluminum bodied, hence lighter in weight. Not too familiar with the HR units.... but bang for buck you cant beat TEIN in my opinion.

take care,
nils

M

·
0 Posts
Type HR are height adjustable, but dampening and rebound is not (it's set at the factory). I have them on my Supra, very nice ride, handling and control.

As per TEIN:

Type HR provides comfort by heightening road holding to its maximum. In order to provide comfort, we have made the shell case slightly shorter but kept sufficient stroke. We have solved the discomfort caused by shortening the stroke like any similar sport shock absorber. We also have solved the problems, which had been quite often seen in original standard shock absorbes, that suspension performance had not been shown in full. Moreover, now we have brought out the performance of your car to its maximum. We succeeded in increasing the capacity of the shell case by 130% compared with a genuine case by adapting mono-tube style and increasing the diameter of the case, and realized ultimate comfort with driving safety by stabilizing the damping force and setting spring rate most appropriately. The setting will provide you with comfortable driving on the streets and motorway.

nils, please check your email in a few.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Re: Re: Differences between Tein coilovers

Hey nils!

What settings do you run your Teins on? i.e. the 1-16 position? I believe I have mine set for the middle (assuming the stiffness is linear and not progressive somehow) - but they're still pretty firm.

You know my Supra is pretty much my weekend car, and sees some track time, so I'm not too concerned, but for the occasional long(ish) road trip, it would be nice to soften it up.

Also, have you heard that running the adjustments past the last softest setting will damage the shocks? John Minert told me this - said there were like 24 adjustment points, but only use down to 16 or they could get damaged. FYI, when I got my car back the first time, they were bottomed out to the 24th/softest position.

I mentioned this because I wonder if some of the excessive stiffness is from damaged shocks? Maybe not.

I guess between the Teins, TRD swaybars, low-profile tires, and the added rigidity of the 4 point cage, my car is going to be pretty tight no matter what. Maybe I can get a ride in another car with Teins sometime to get a comparison.

(oops, had to edit for one more quck question)

Are you running the uppoer pillowball mounts? I heard from an good authority that these add considerable stiffness since the top of the strut is mounted into a solid metal ball/receiver vs. the OEM units that use a rubber bushing. Originally I intended to just run with new OEM mounts.

nils said:

Les,
I highly recommend the the Tein HA's which suit me perfectly for street/occasional track use. I actually just bought my second set of TEIN HA's for my 240 =). The RA's are similar to the HA's except they are aluminum bodied, hence lighter in weight. Not too familiar with the HR units.... but bang for buck you cant beat TEIN in my opinion.

take care,
nils

N

·
0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Differences between Tein coilovers

DT said:
Hey nils!

What settings do you run your Teins on? i.e. the 1-16 position? I believe I have mine set for the middle (assuming the stiffness is linear and not progressive somehow) - but they're still pretty firm.

You know my Supra is pretty much my weekend car, and sees some track time, so I'm not too concerned, but for the occasional long(ish) road trip, it would be nice to soften it up.

Also, have you heard that running the adjustments past the last softest setting will damage the shocks? John Minert told me this - said there were like 24 adjustment points, but only use down to 16 or they could get damaged. FYI, when I got my car back the first time, they were bottomed out to the 24th/softest position.

I mentioned this because I wonder if some of the excessive stiffness is from damaged shocks? Maybe not.

I guess between the Teins, TRD swaybars, low-profile tires, and the added rigidity of the 4 point cage, my car is going to be pretty tight no matter what. Maybe I can get a ride in another car with Teins sometime to get a comparison.

(oops, had to edit for one more quck question)

Are you running the uppoer pillowball mounts? I heard from an good authority that these add considerable stiffness since the top of the strut is mounted into a solid metal ball/receiver vs. the OEM units that use a rubber bushing. Originally I intended to just run with new OEM mounts.

DT,
wassup homie =)

I run at the middle setting in the rear and about 3-4 clicks stiffer in front.

I never knew about the "24" softest setting, I would recommend to never go past manufacturers specs though. When I first got the Teins I had them on the softest setting (16) for a week or two, still felt pretty damn stiff. I have the upper pillow balls and I assume that they add even more stiffness.

hope that helps,
nils

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hey!

Cool, didn't know you had a Tein setup - yeah, that'd be excellent - then at least I could say, "Ok, it's just fuggin stiff" :D

BTW, how's the car rollin? I haven't kept up - did you get your single installed over at Speedcraft yet? Dwight did a great job on my car, and they (Speedcraft) are gonna get my engine build business when the time comes.

Seeya -

DT

VETKILR said:
DT,

Hey bro...just let me know when you want a ride. I also have TEIN HA's with pb mounts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts