Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I am looking to buy a TT Supra for my girlfriend...
she likes the 97's of course cause its the Anniv. Ed., but I think its a little out of our price range. She said she likes any of the 93-98 Supras, but my question is, is there any major changes or improvements between those years? Thanks....

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, so i take it there are no differences between a 93 and a 98.....

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
You wanted an instant answer?

Operators are standing by..:rolleyes:

Mostly the same all years as I understad it. 96 was Auto only due to emissions testing issues. 97-98 have different tailights and headlights. 97-98 had ODBII emissions rather than the ODBI. 97-98, posisbly 96 had a different ABS setup that was 3(?) channel rather than 4 I believe (and not as good I'm told).

Those are the only differences I'M aware of but I'm NOT an expert - just someone who recently shopped for a Supra :)

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At least someone answered :D

BLKMGK said:
Operators are standing by..:rolleyes:

Mostly the same all years as I understad it. 96 was Auto only due to emissions testing issues. 97-98 have different tailights and headlights. 97-98 had ODBII emissions rather than the ODBI. 97-98, posisbly 96 had a different ABS setup that was 3(?) channel rather than 4 I believe (and not as good I'm told).

Those are the only differences I'M aware of but I'm NOT an expert - just someone who recently shopped for a Supra :)
thanks.... :D its more info then I had before you posted.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Supra was facelifted in 96. I know coz i've been looking to purchase recently. The changes however are slight. On the interior you'll notice that their is no longer a digital odometer or clock. This has been replaced by an analog clock. The dial layout is also slightly different. I think turbo boost and fuel maybe seperate gauges on the facelift. On the exterior changes on the out side were a bar through the front nose cone hole and side lights to the front and rear. Front and rear lights are a slightly different colour.
Hope this helps.:p

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i converted my 93 supra to a 97 spec for less than 600 bucks including the rear lights head lights turn signals and soon to take my moms steering wheel off her rav since it is the 98 supra wheel

·
Z06 convert
1,378 Posts
The headlights have a graphite backing instead of chrome, as do the taillights. The headlights look 100x better IMO, I'm still undecided about the taillights. There's a bar in the front bumper, as was said, the CD player looks a little different, ODBII, softer suspension, a few safety upgrades (collapsable steering column, I believe), and the steering wheel is 3-spoke in 98.

The facelift was 97, not 96.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
97 and 98 were the big differences in the intro of vvti(i think im not sure) to the both turbo and non turbop engines giving them both an additional 5 hp gain. go with a 93 or 94 if u wana good price

·
Now...Whitesupra94
3,249 Posts
sUpRaGuY23 said:
97 and 98 were the big differences in the intro of vvti(i think im not sure) to the both turbo and non turbop engines giving them both an additional 5 hp gain. go with a 93 or 94 if u wana good price
i think VVTI was only on the NA...not 100%positive tho?
Bob

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Traction control

Do all MKIV's come with the traction control? I know the 97-98 do, but how about the previous ones? I think it's a must have because it keeps you from being all over the road as a daily driver with that much power. How well does it work if you were to have about 400-450rwhp? I know traction control is always advantageous, but i'm will it be able to help with that much power? I'm looking around for a mkiv, and i think that that's the only question i have unanswered.

·
Moderator, Live life to the fulllest
1,764 Posts
All of the Turbos have 320 stock horsepower at the crank. I believe that the vvti is only on the NA models. There is traction control on all years and they handle REALLY well when they are BPU (basic performance upgrades i.e. 400+ horsepower).

·
Super Moderator
46,550 Posts
speedracersupra said:
i converted my 93 supra to a 97 spec for less than 600 bucks including the rear lights head lights turn signals and soon to take my moms steering wheel off her rav since it is the 98 supra wheel
The RAV4 strg wheel is NOT the same as the 98 Supra wheel.

There are a lot of differences between 93.5-96 vs 97-98.

BTW:You the "SEARCH" button and you'll read what i'm talking about.

600 bucks only gets you a cheap face-lift.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts