Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Supra Dupra
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a difference with the engine between the 86.5-90 7mgte and the 91-92 7mgte???? It seems like everywhere I look such as manuals, they are seperated. I know that the body has minor cosmetic differences. I have a 91 turbo and was looking for a repair manual and it seems like the 91 repair manual is hard to find. :( The only one I've ran across is the 86.5-90 turbo...but that won't work right????

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
Technically Yes. The crank was changed from the 6M to the 7M. The newer crank is a little heavier, lowering the redline in the 90+ cars. But for almost everything you are going to need a manual for, it will be the same.

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
conundrum07 said:
Technically Yes. The crank was changed from the 6M to the 7M. The newer crank is a little heavier, lowering the redline in the 90+ cars. But for almost everything you are going to need a manual for, it will be the same.
you are basically correct sir...ill elaborate a bit however....

simply put...

87-early 89s: 6M crank, which is a better redline (6500) however is less balanced.

late 89s-93: 7M crank with a shorter redline (6000) but more balanced.

also theres a difference in the wastegate that adds an extra 2hp.....plus a difference in the thorttle bodies....basically the idler screw has been removed. (or moved but i cant find it lol)

they are basically the same engine however if you get technical with it due to the different cranks the tolerances and specs are different to an extent...hence thereason they are usually seperated in the manuals. HTH

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
The wire harness is different from 87-88 and 90-92. The 91-92 had some trim differences (stereo, sunroof, rims) from 90 but the 90 manual shouldn't get you in too much trouble. 'Edit: 90 has the SAME crankshaft and SAME engine harness as a 91-92 so, that is the important stuff.

89 could be wierd.

G

·
0 Posts
Depends on the work you are doing. Unless you get into electrical or the crank, you don't need to worry about it.

B

·
0 Posts
heh, you wont need a diff manual just to work with the newer crank... it just has more weights. the torque specs for the caps/etc should all still be the same.

3,796 Posts
There are some minor differences in how the wiring harness plugs to the ECU. Everything else has been stated.

Oh wait.....the IC is slightly different but same flow and cooling capabilities.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts