Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
No boost? No V8? No care!
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I have been searching all over the web tonight, but still can not find anyone else with the same lack of knowledge as me...lol I've never actually broke in a aftermarket clutch before so I don't know if these things are normal or not.

1). My idle RPM is now steady at 600-700, which is like 200 less then what is was before I got the new one installed.

2) The "gas" pedal also seems to be much stiffer then before. It seems as though I have to press twice as hard to get it any boost (above 0psi).

3) It also seems like my RPM's have increased. Like with the stocker I could shift at 2000rpms w/o a problem. It seems now it only wants to shift smoothly at 2500rpms.

I have had the Spec Stage II clutch installed for about 4 days, and have done about 100 miles worth of city/highway mixed. These things normal with a aftermarket (or new) clutch? Still the break-in period?

Anybody got any knowledge to lay out for me? I've pretty much always dealt with Autos so all this is new to me.

JOE

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
Sounds like your old clutch was slipping pretty bad to me basically.

·
Boostin' to the limit!
482 Posts
Jeff Lange said:
Sounds like your old clutch was slipping pretty bad to me basically.
Agreed, people are so suprised to drive an mkIII with a brand new stocker, they think its an aftermarket unit.... :) I too was suprised to know that the stock clutch could take quite a bit of abuse.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
I'm not sure about the symtoms that you described. But there should be no difference in the way your car drives with the SPEC2 other than the clutch grabbing quicker.

·
No boost? No V8? No care!
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hoser813 said:
who installed the clutch for you?
A local mechanic here. He has worked on all of the cars in our house, so I trust him.

Dunno what it is.

Also...as far as the break-in period...I can boost right? Just no WOT pulls. B/c man is it hard to get up some hills around here...lol

·
Professional White Man
2,674 Posts
the break in period just means to take it easy on the clutch... ie no dumps, no excessive slipping, and no racing on it, and slamming in out into the next gear. Just drive easy on it. Once you shift and get it in gear, then you can throttle it however you want. Oh also, no unnecessary downshifts.

There should be no reason for the gas pedal to be any harder to push down, unless for some reason the mechanic was fucking around with something, which he shouldnt have. Really, there is no need for him to even pop the hood for a clutch install... so I have no clue what the gas pedal problem is. Just spray the springs and bracket and everything with WD-40 to lube it all. Maybe theres just some rust or something on the throttle bracket.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
i had some issues with my gas pedal after i installed the clutch on my car (spec stage III). turns out that when i pulled the engine (pulled engine an tranny, did rear main and pan gasket at same time along with other stuff), i removed the throttle cable and the place on the throttle where the cable hooks to it with the two nuts that hold it in there got all messed up and one of the nuts was kinda jammed in there so it was hard to push and tended to stick open. you might check that out. also, i agree about your old clutch slipping really badly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts